Bryston Manic Moose Interface

Stefan_DR3

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #220 on: 13 Oct 2021, 09:50 pm »
.......as long as it doesn't affect the listening quality, I'm fine - probably be easier

Casting does affect sound quality. For one it does not support hi-res (Airplay will compress it to 16/44.1 before sending it over your network.)

According to all the BDP reviews I’ve read that’s not the best sounding method of streaming, even for 16/44 files. Casting uses protocols that may not preserve integrity of the music, which defeats the purpose of having a high-end “bit perfect” device like the BDP.

jobiwon

« Reply #221 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:22 am »
Normally I stream Qobuz to my BDP through MM or Roon.  Roon/MM and the DAC will indicate higher res file as 24/96 or higher.

I was playing around with the Qobuz iPAD app streaming directly to my DAC via the lighting port/USB.  If I choose an HD track 24/96 and stream it from the app is plays at Redbook 16/48.  To get the full resolution I have to download the track and then it plays at its full indicated resolution.   

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #222 on: 14 Oct 2021, 08:08 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering... When the songs are tagged with the "Artist", "Album" and "Genre", and when selecting songs in MM using the "Genre" option, it lists all the albums that correspond to the "Genre" selected. This is not very useful since there may be many albums in a specific genre. Can MM be configured to display the artists that correspond to the "Genre" and after selecting an artist, MM would display the albums?

Francois

gbaby

« Reply #223 on: 14 Oct 2021, 08:45 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering... When the songs are tagged with the "Artist", "Album" and "Genre", and when selecting songs in MM using the "Genre" option, it lists all the albums that correspond to the "Genre" selected. This is not very useful since there may be many albums in a specific genre. Can MM be configured to display the artists that correspond to the "Genre" and after selecting an artist, MM would display the albums?

Francois

Seems to me that is impossible as what music is a particular genre can be subjective.

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #224 on: 14 Oct 2021, 08:54 pm »
Sorry for not being clear (English is not my first language). The user (me) tagged the files by himself. There is no subjectivity here. Now, when all the tagging has been done, is it possible to configure MM to first, select a genre and then, select an artist within this genre.

Hope this is clear.

Francois

GSDaudio

« Reply #225 on: 15 Oct 2021, 11:32 am »
Sorry for not being clear (English is not my first language). The user (me) tagged the files by himself. There is no subjectivity here. Now, when all the tagging has been done, is it possible to configure MM to first, select a genre and then, select an artist within this genre.

Hi Francois,
My experience is that there is no way do what you describe.  It seems the MPD part of MM only allows one "sort" either by Artist, genre or album.   I haven't specifically tried to do what you have since I spend more of my efforts to randomize music not get more specific.   I'll have to try it out.   I use a META program on my MAC to change the meta tags but there is only so much the MPD can do in MM.   I'm not sure if an upgrade to a more recent MPD will help.   

Cheers

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #226 on: 18 Oct 2021, 04:40 pm »
Thank you for your reply. My understanding is also that MM only allows one "sort" either by Artist, genre or album. It makes sense for a sort by artist because there is a limited number of albums for one artist. In the case of a sort by genre, usually, there can be A LOT of albums within a specific genre, so the sort is pretty much useless.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #227 on: 26 Oct 2021, 11:59 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes Apple Music and Amazon HD etc. have their own apps so I assumed most would just use Airplay or a wired connection from their phone or IPAD directly.

james

James,

I may have misunderstood, but does this mean that your expectation is that we would plug our iPhone, Mac, or PC directly into our DACs and no longer use our BDP-1/2/3? Personally, I would prefer to use the BDP as the player with the Apple or Amazon HD apps loaded onto it, which would eliminate another USB connection or the need for AirPlay, which as I recall has a limit on quality.

Thank you

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #228 on: 26 Oct 2021, 05:17 pm »
James,

I may have misunderstood, but does this mean that your expectation is that we would plug our iPhone, Mac, or PC directly into our DACs and no longer use our BDP-1/2/3? Personally, I would prefer to use the BDP as the player with the Apple or Amazon HD apps loaded onto it, which would eliminate another USB connection or the need for AirPlay, which as I recall has a limit on quality.

Thank you

That’s right and I agree with you. With physical USB cable your mobile device or computer is doing the heavy lifting and any old USB DAC will receive it. With Airplay the mobile device is doing most of the work again but the BDP receives it and converts it to SPDIF for the DAC however limited to standard res.

I can understand wanting the BDP to do all the work like it does with TIDAL connect. This is not possible with Apple Music because nobody but Apple has apps for it!  However Spotify connect and Amazon Music would be possible for Bryston to implement - Bluesound does it (one example).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #229 on: 26 Oct 2021, 06:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes I assume Apple Music will not ever have "Apple Connect" so if you want to use Apple Music you would have to use the APP on your IPAD or Phone. 

You can stream the music to the Bryston DAC then or you can wire it using a USB cable.  With streaming currently you are limited to 48K/24Bit (that may increase to 192/24).  If you use the USB wiring then you can achieve 192/24 resolution.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #230 on: 26 Oct 2021, 07:30 pm »
James, How do you find direct digital out on your IPad (into Bryston dac) versus a pi or other streamer?

jobiwon

« Reply #231 on: 26 Oct 2021, 08:33 pm »
James, How do you find direct digital out on your IPad (into Bryston dac) versus a pi or other streamer?

The way I do it is use an Apple USB camera adapter (basically a lightning port -->USB A)  to connect to a USB A -->USB B terminated cable -->DAC.  IOS knows its going digital out. 

+

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #232 on: 26 Oct 2021, 11:09 pm »
Yes correct.

WillyP

« Reply #233 on: 27 Oct 2021, 10:08 am »
The way I do it is use an Apple USB camera adapter (basically a lightning port -->USB A)  to connect to a USB A -->USB B terminated cable -->DAC.  IOS knows its going digital out. 

The new iPad Air 4 doesn’t have a Lightning port anymore but a USB-C port. What is a good adapter for the connection to a DAC?

Thanks,

WillyP

jobiwon

« Reply #235 on: 27 Oct 2021, 02:42 pm »
AudioQuest makes a C to B cable as well.

bokko

« Reply #236 on: 27 Oct 2021, 02:52 pm »
Being an iPad Air 4 you will want to ensure the https://mfi.apple.com/ is supported or it might be frustrating experience.
Personally I use the AudioQuest cinnamon type a to type b cable with the apple adapter. Less chance of trouble, feels like its heading back to the BlackBerry days when only a companies cable supported headsets, charging, etc.

jobiwon

« Reply #237 on: 27 Oct 2021, 02:58 pm »
The other advantage to the Apple Adapter is that some of them have a lightning port on the "A" terminator that provides power.  I have a little audioengine D1 headphone DAC that will not run off the battery of the iPAD.  I been thinking about trying one out to see if it will power the DAC.

This perked my interest so I called AudioQuest.  The Lightning port/Adapter was proprietary (chipped).  The USB C on the Air is not and no longer requires that adapter.  I just realized I have a buddy who just last week purchased a brand new Air and a AudioQuest C to B cable.  I just reached out to him to see where he is at with it. 

mr_bill

« Reply #238 on: 27 Oct 2021, 06:51 pm »
The other advantage to the Apple Adapter is that some of them have a lightning port on the "A" terminator that provides power.  I have a little audioengine D1 headphone DAC that will not run off the battery of the iPAD.  I been thinking about trying one out to see if it will power the DAC.

This perked my interest so I called AudioQuest.  The Lightning port/Adapter was proprietary (chipped).  The USB C on the Air is not and no longer requires that adapter.  I just realized I have a buddy who just last week purchased a brand new Air and a AudioQuest C to B cable.  I just reached out to him to see where he is at with it.

..........so does that mean you can buy the Audioquest cable and hook directly without using the camera connection kit?

jobiwon

« Reply #239 on: 27 Oct 2021, 08:29 pm »

..........so does that mean you can buy the Audioquest cable and hook directly without using the camera connection kit?

Yes for any Apple products with USB C (e.g. iPAD Air etc)