Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suite Recommendations Por Favor

dB Cooper

Would like to get some recommendations for your favorite recordings of the Suites. I have heard/have (or have streaming access to) the Yo-Yo Ma releases, the Edgar Meyer bass versions, Anner Bylsma (very nice) and have Rostropovich on right now (nice but the tempo feels a little hurried starting out). These works are fast becoming a 'go-to' for me. Thanks in advance.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suite Recommendations Por Favor
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2020, 02:55 am »
I've heard most sets of the Bach Cello Suites (it's been a long time obsession of mine), and my favorite remains a very little known set by Ralph Kirshbaum on Erato (used to be Virgin) and it also on Qobuz. 

Not too fast, not too slow, and incredible 'soul' and feeling put into this music. 

My second favorite set is probably the justly famous Fournier recording.  Talk about an aristocrat of the cello!!  This guy is noble in all the right ways. 

usery

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2020, 05:27 am »
Thanks, great suggestions, will have to try the Fournier and Kirschbaum recordings.

In addition to those I suggest the OP try Janos Starker on Mercury Living Presence, recorded in 1963 and 1965.  For my ears (and heart) these performances transcend in a way Rostropovich’s doesn’t.  Available on Spotify, and probly Qobuz and Tidal too.

Older (< 2003) Penguin Guides mention an even more evocative Starker mono recording, predating the MLP set.  I’m still looking for that version.

usery

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2020, 06:02 pm »
Found it: the complete János Starker mono recordings from 1959 originally issued on Columbia 45rpm lp.  It took some hunting but that's much (most?) of the fun.

Modern reissues were on EMI Classics (6-disc 12/1995 release, out of print) and then on a 9-disc Warner compilation https://www.warnerclassics.com/node/4193 still in print.  For my $46 the Warner reissue is the one to get: Starker's entire collection of EMI and Erato recordings from '57 - '59, and even more compelling produced by the equally-iconic Walter Legge!  Here: https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Janos-Starker-J%C3%A1nos/dp/B00I3LJRHA/

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2020, 12:38 am »
Thanks all. Found the Kirschbaum on Tidal. Tyson, can you provide a little more info on the Fournier? I'm still relatively a classical noob and don't know the name. Will try to track down the others too. What is your opinion of the Edgar Meyer version on bass btw, I'm curious. He only did three though.

I've also heard transcriptions for guitar etc. Given the right intention and musicianship, Bach is hard to f*** up.

Heard an interview on the radio once  with a woman who was talking about getting through 9/11. She asked her therapist for suggestions and his suggestion was, listen to Bach. When it feels like the world is coming apart at the seams, much like it often does right now. She heeded the advice and I often do too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2020, 12:46 am »
Thanks all. Found the Kirschbaum on Tidal. Tyson, can you provide a little more info on the Fournier? I'm still relatively a classical noob and don't know the name. Will try to track down the others too.

Heard an interview on the radio once  with a woman who was talking about getting through 9/11. She asked her therapist for suggestions and his suggestion was Bach. When it feels like the world is coming apart at the seams, much like it often does right now. She heeded the advice and I often do too.

Sure thing - Fournier is roughly a compatriot of Rostropovich in that they were both big stars at roughly the same time.  Rostropovich was Russian of course and Fournier was French.  Where Rostropovich is often a bit over the top with his performances (and IMO a little bit leaning to kitsch), Fournier keeps things more disciplined while still playing with incredible passion and finesse.  Really, ANY recording of Fournier is worth checking out, it's all gold. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2020, 01:06 am »
+1 on Rostropovich and Antonio Menezes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqv40KRn6UY

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2020, 04:13 am »
Found the Fournier too; both Tidal and Idagio have it. They have different album artwork but unless he recorded the material twice in the same year I assume it's the same recording. I also recommend Bylsma to anyone who hasn't heard his.

Aside from Yo-Yo Ma (who has recorded the suites three times), I naturally looked up Casals and was surprised that he seemed to have a fairly heavy touch on the bow which gave a rather dark tone. Have to revisit that one sometime to see how I feel about it.Only played it once.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2020, 04:27 am »
Casals and was surprised that he seemed to have a fairly heavy touch on the bow
Spanish way, Segovia seems the same.

macdane

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2020, 05:04 am »
Starker is my go-to, but my wife always reaches for the Nathaniel Rosen recording from John Marks Records ... and I don't mind one bit.

Thomas Turk

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2020, 11:38 am »
How nice to discuss MUSIC and not best Slovakian 300B tubes vs WE NOS!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2020, 12:11 pm »
My most recent plus three ‘older’ favorites:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2020, 12:13 pm »
Oops .. where’s my coffee? The two others:

« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:34 pm by LesterSleepsIn »

jcsperson

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2020, 12:15 pm »
Shouldn't it be bitte, not por favor?

SMcATX

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2020, 03:21 pm »
Once you've heard enough standard performances, there are recordings on alternative instruments such as the 5-string piccolo cello (Bylsma) and the violoncello da spalla (Kuijken) which is played viola style on the shoulder.

sounddog

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2020, 08:05 pm »
I’d add Alisa Weilerstein’s April 2020 release (Bach: Cello Suites, BWV 1007-1012), which I found on Qobuz. An added advantage is that it’s in hirez. Unfortunately, I do have a problem with the poor sound quality of some (though not all) of the old audio recordings.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2020, 10:10 pm »
Discovered cellist Lynn Harrell by chance today on NPR 'Fresh Air'. Been around forever; just learned of him.He passed recently. He was principal cellist for the Cleveland Symphony at the age of 18. The suites came up in the interview. I bookmarked his release but haven't listened to it yet.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 03:14 pm by dB Cooper »

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2020, 03:07 am »
How nice to discuss MUSIC and not best Slovakian 300B tubes vs WE NOS!

Glad to help. That's what it's supposed to be about (but isn't always). BUT, to be fair, there are a number of music-centric Circles and threads. I've made a number of
great finds in the "What Jazz album..." thread in particular. There's a similar thread for Classical, and a variety of others, even a Metal thread.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone (and if you've got more, keep 'em coming). I'm gonna make a list. It'll take me awhile to play them but I think it's worth it.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 11:13 pm by dB Cooper »

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2020, 11:15 pm »
Shouldn't it be bitte, not por favor?

Hmm, maybe, but I lived next door to an Austrian family for years growing up and only learned enough German to get my face slapped in a bar...

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2020, 11:37 pm »
Oh, and Jan Vogler (Sony)