No-rez substitute

oz_audio_todd

No-rez substitute
« on: 6 Apr 2012, 11:50 am »
OK, after 3 hours of searching for it, I give up  :x
I know that I have read something somewhere about how to fudge up a no-rez substitute using (may be) lino tiles, a heap of contact adhesive and acoustic foam or something like that??
I only ask as I am pretty sure that I have also read that its not worth the money to ship O/S as its kinda bulky!
Is my memory serving me here and/or are there other/better options available?
Thanks guys

Nick77

Re: No-rez substitute
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2012, 11:57 am »
I had to skip norez on my recent LS-C build and did lino tiles and just fiberglass insulation. Cant detect any issues but norez is much easier to install.

pureiso

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:13 pm »
OK, after 3 hours of searching for it, I give up  :x
I know that I have read something somewhere about how to fudge up a no-rez substitute using (may be) lino tiles, a heap of contact adhesive and acoustic foam or something like that??
I only ask as I am pretty sure that I have also read that its not worth the money to ship O/S as its kinda bulky!
Is my memory serving me here and/or are there other/better options available?
Thanks guys

Two layers of the 1/16" residential Vinyl tiles and then 1" of high density (2-3lb) open cell foam.  All you need is the adhesive for the foam.  Seems to work alright, but honestly it ends up costing near the same if you factor in your time...

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:43 pm »
I have used both No Rez and the DIY method on different speaker projects and like the DIY cost savings. Once I got got rolling the extra time was minimal because I had to use small pieces anyway with all the internal bracing to navigate and the 6" diameter speaker cutout everything had to go through.

I used 2 layers of self stick vinyl floor tile from Home Depot, 1" open cell foam, and 2 cans of 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. My first test with the floor tile was hit and miss, some tiles stuck and some pieces fell off the next day, the 3M adhesive worked like a champ and gets stronger with age. I used the 3M adhesive to attach the 1" foam too.

5 - 24" x 27" sheets of No Rez costs $199.75 + shipping.
5 - 20" x 30" sheets open cell foam, self stick vinyl tile, 3M adhesive cost $84

The cost difference between the No Rez and the DIY method was $115.75.

Wayne

pureiso

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:50 pm »
I have used both No Rez and the DIY method on different speaker projects and like the DIY cost savings. Once I got got rolling the extra time was minimal because I had to use small pieces anyway with all the internal bracing to navigate and the 6" diameter speaker cutout everything had to go through.

I used 2 layers of self stick vinyl floor tile from Home Depot, 1" open cell foam, and 2 cans of 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. My first test with the floor tile was hit and miss, some tiles stuck and some pieces fell off the next day, the 3M adhesive worked like a champ and gets stronger with age. I used the 3M adhesive to attach the 1" foam too.

5 - 24" x 27" sheets of No Rez costs $199.75 + shipping.
5 - 20" x 30" sheets open cell foam, self stick vinyl tile, 3M adhesive cost $84

The cost difference between the No Rez and the DIY method was $115.75.

Wayne

Yeah, for tower speakers I can easily see that.  For bookshelf speakers it is close enough that I would usually say just buy the No Rez....

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:08 pm »
thanks for the reply's guys, but keep in mind I have to ship to Australia land and that will add to my(its) cost.
Does anybody know of anything better than straight vinyl then, or is it just fine?  :)
Thanks again  :)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm »
Vinyl tiles are best, and you can use heavy duty carpet padding for the foam and save a little more.

aharami

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:47 pm »
this thread might be of some use.  lots of good info in there
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86324.0

when I built x-omni's as L/R surround speakers, I used the vinyl floor tile from home depot (cant find it on their website anymore) and mattress foam pad like this one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Comfort-Coil-Foam-Mattress-Pad/10055840)
the foam in No-Rez is denser than the mattress pad, but I didnt care as they were for surround speakers.  Next time, if I opt to not use no-rez, I'll use acoustic foam from PE (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-516) layered over vinyl tiles

aharami

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:49 pm »
Vinyl tiles are best, and you can use heavy duty carpet padding for the foam and save a little more.

correct me if I'm wrong, but carpet padding isnt open cell, right?  So wouldn't it cause reflections inside the cabinet?

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2012, 03:19 pm »
Actually,  it is open cell.

pureiso

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2012, 03:38 pm »
this thread might be of some use.  lots of good info in there
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86324.0

when I built x-omni's as L/R surround speakers, I used the vinyl floor tile from home depot (cant find it on their website anymore) and mattress foam pad like this one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Comfort-Coil-Foam-Mattress-Pad/10055840)
the foam in No-Rez is denser than the mattress pad, but I didnt care as they were for surround speakers.  Next time, if I opt to not use no-rez, I'll use acoustic foam from PE (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-516) layered over vinyl tiles

Why mess with PE, isn't this cheaper?
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/charcoalfoam.html#FirmCharcoal

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2012, 05:05 pm »
While I'm never happy with the costs of No Rez, it's effectiveness is worth it in the end.  It seems all other options make things more difficult than they need to be.  Ultimately, I never miss the money I spent on upgrades that work.  And No Rez works.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2012, 05:09 pm »
I agree that it's worth the price, but not if you have to ship it half way around the world.  The OP is down under.

cody69

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2012, 04:17 am »
I recently finished a pair of X-LS speakers and used the tile/foam lining vs spending the money for No-Rez. By the time I was done cutting around the bracing used in this speaker and adhering the tile to the inside of the enclosure, I decided next time I'll use the No Rez.

These tiles were extremely heavy and dense, not the typical vinyl stick-on type... really did a number on the saw blade!

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:07 am »
I recently finished a pair of X-LS speakers and used the tile/foam lining vs spending the money for No-Rez. By the time I was done cutting around the bracing used in this speaker and adhering the tile to the inside of the enclosure, I decided next time I'll use the No Rez.

These tiles were extremely heavy and dense, not the typical vinyl stick-on type... really did a number on the saw blade!

... or you could have just used the stick-on vinyl.... :scratch:

se-riously

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm »
For my X-LS Encore build, I'm using the stick-on vinyl tile.  However, I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive on the floor tile, just before adhering it to the surface to make sure that it sticks securely.  Then I used a 1" foam that's stuck to the tiles via contact cement.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm »

If going the DIY route these heavy tiles are the best. You can score them with a box cutting knife and fold them over and they will usually break nicely on the cut line.

Oscillate

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:30 pm »
When using No Rez or an DIY substitute, do you have to allow for the
additional enclosure volume that it displaces?

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:03 am »
When using No Rez or an DIY substitute, do you have to allow for the
additional enclosure volume that it displaces?

With No Rez the damping layer does take up air space. However, the foam layer slows down the air flow in the box making the woofer act as if it is in a larger air space. Usually the net effect is about a wash.

That can vary some with DIY variations.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:29 am »
So, is No-Rez basically a slab of open cell foam with some sort of adhesive & bitumen (?) layer on one of the sides of it?