Pulled the trigger; ordered the HT2-TL!

K Shep

Re: Pulled the trigger; ordered the HT2-TL!
« Reply #40 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:11 pm »
Great looking setup Jazz.  I remember exchanging email with you like it was yesterday.  Wow all the hardwork has paid off.  I just looked through the thread and did see what you decided to do aobut an amp.  Is that a Parasound Halo amp?

Kirk

jazzcat1

« Reply #41 on: 10 Sep 2009, 01:30 am »
Thanks Kirk. You inspired me to build my own panels. It was fun and saved me well over $1,000. Also, you have a good eye! That is indeed a Parasound Halo A21 I got off Audiogon for less than half price of a new one. I had quite an amp ordeal. Starting a dedicated 2 channel listening room from scratch was pushing my budget. I did a lot of research and thought the Emotiva XPA-2 would do a decent job especially because it was on sale for $699. Tried it but had a terrible hiss from both tweeters I could clearly hear from the listening position. Not acceptable!

Lugged my home theater Earthquake Cinenova Grande up there and it was much better but I wasn't going to waste a multi channel amp for that room. Took a chance on the Halo and it turned out to be wonderful. I am happy with this setup for now. Total XLR balanced connections from the modded Denon DVD3930CI to the pre to the amp.

oneinthepipe, I have a supply vent and a ceiling fan (custom diffusor) :D in the way on the ceiling. So that is not an option.

K Shep

« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:55 am »
Thats great Jazz.  Hopefully people will follow this thread and contact you for advise on how to build panels and on down the road.  I hope you spent the money you saved from the dyi panels on your A21 amp.  That is my favorite amp too. :wink:  Excellent job on your room!

Kirk

jazzcat1

« Reply #43 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:04 pm »

Scheduled to arrive at our warehouse dock on Friday  :thumb:

vintagebob

« Reply #44 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:33 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:

mathgeek97

« Reply #45 on: 16 Sep 2009, 03:54 pm »
Wow!  Those are nice! 
BTW, they'll sound even better than they look.

Nuance

« Reply #46 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:39 pm »
Wow, those look great!  Nice choice on veneer and stain.  I can't wait to get you listening impressions!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #47 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:32 pm »
Beautiful finish.  The silver spikes look very good with that veneer.  Looking forward to your listening report.

OgOgilby

« Reply #48 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:53 pm »
Those look amazing, great choice of veneers! Looking forward to your impressions on the HT2 TL's. We are thrilled with ours.

sedah

« Reply #49 on: 16 Sep 2009, 06:18 pm »
Wow, those do look pretty fabulous! Congrats... I suspect you're going to be having a great weekend!  aa

jazzcat1

« Reply #50 on: 16 Sep 2009, 07:02 pm »
Wow, those do look pretty fabulous! Congrats... I suspect you're going to be having a great weekend!  aa

Wife said she may go to the spa or something this weekend as I will not be available  :lol:

Left and right channel banana jacks with speaker wire connected lying on the floor waiting to be plugged in! Just got to get them up the stairs  :o

joelmilr

« Reply #51 on: 17 Sep 2009, 07:19 pm »
You are really going to like those speakers. One two day weekend won't be enough. I know that I keep getting excited about my set of HT2-TL's everytime I listen to them for the past four months. Changed around the living room and purchased a new amp as a result.
Enjoy and congratulations!!!
Joel

mathgeek97

« Reply #52 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:32 am »
Scheduled to arrive at our warehouse dock on Friday  :thumb:

Well?  :D
I think your veneers are gorgeous.  Post some pics!!!

jazzcat1

« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep 2009, 05:08 pm »

Ok, here we go.  Had to post that obligatory FedEx  photo first! There were some decent gouges on the boxes but when I stuck my finger in, all I could feel was Styrofoam. As heavy as these are (108 lbs each) I expected a few dings here and there. After loading them in the truck and dragging them upstairs, I proceeded to un box them.  That was Friday evening and this old man is SORE today!  The packing was more than adequate and there was not a mark on them.

The finish is just gorgeous on these. Got them placed, plugged in the cables, did several adjustments and then came time to give them a listen. Wanted to hear a favorite from the 70's first as it is still a song I enjoy immensely.  Traffic?s  Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.  This is a remastered CD. Wow! Every instrument was so clearly present it was a joy to listen to. I am not going to use the timeless cliches like "I heard things I never heard before" but I'm sure all of you who own these speakers know what I mean. The lows were clean and tight; midrange as well as highs very well defined. The vocals are something to behold!

I wanted to listen to the whole collection but there's plenty of time for that. I listened to CD's SACD's and some DVD-A I burned in 96/24 PCM 2 channel from iTrax and 96/24 FLAC from HDtracks of various artists.

A big surprise was Willie Nelson Stardust 2 channel SACD that I have had around for a while but never really thought of it as being a reference piece. But I didn't have this system paired with the HT2-TL speakers before either!  This may be my favorite C/W album so far. The harmonica and Willie's vocals in Georgia on my Mind placed me right there in the studio.

Norah Jones' Come Away With Me was a joy to listen to as well. oneinthepipe , I read your post about how the vocals are so perfectly centered and I couldn't agree more. A lot of speakers accomplish this but not to the extent I have ever heard.  My wife was downstairs while this was playing and from down there, she said she was positive that somehow I sneaked Norah in the room!

Other auditions worth noting were Eleanor McEvoy Early Hours SACD, Kim Pensyl Pensyl Sketches CD, Daboa's From the Gekko CD, and all the DVD-A tracks I burned. Jim's sampler CD was great as well. Like I said, I have a lot of listening to do! It is going to be fun.

Another thing that made me take notice was the end of tracks. As they faded to silence I could hear every last note so clearly and concise it was eye opening.  Between passages is dead silent as well.

I have a cut from a CD I have from Heart titled Alone that I have used for years to compare systems as I am very familiar with that cut. It did not disappoint! There is a point in the song where there is a LOT going on and the HT2-TL's just presented all the individual instruments/vocals in an unfettered, crystal clear and strain free manner.

Enough for now, all in all for the price, these are some of the most accurate and pleasant speakers to listen to I have heard to date for bass, mids and highs. The vocals are amazing and highs are presented clearly, realistically and not harsh or bright in any way.

:thumb:  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #54 on: 20 Sep 2009, 05:48 pm »
Great write-up, jazzact!  And thanks for the pics; always appreciate those.  :)

I am very happy the HT2 TL's are living up to your expectations.  They sure do look great in your room.  Your hard work getting the room ready was worth it. 

How close do you sit and how far apart are the speakers?

vintagebob

« Reply #55 on: 20 Sep 2009, 05:56 pm »
Go ahead and rub it in!   

Thanks for sharing jazzcat. I'm glad to hear that your speakers arrived in good shape and that you are enjoying them so much.  I'm looking forward to the day...

jazzcat1

« Reply #56 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:11 pm »
Nuance, right now they are equidistant, all measurements are at 7'6" (90"). 32" off the side walls and about 3' from the front wall measured from the tweeter center.

vintagebob, your time will come, hopefully reall soon!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #57 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:52 pm »
I sneaked Norah in the room!

jazzcat:

Thanks for taking the time for the update.  The veneer is gorgeous, and I am delighted that you like your speakers. 

Regarding Norah, I have been wanting to do that (sneak Norah in the room) for several years because she has such a beautiful voice.  :green:

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2009, 10:45 pm by oneinthepipe »

K Shep

« Reply #58 on: 20 Sep 2009, 10:14 pm »
Nuance, right now they are equidistant, all measurements are at 7'6" (90"). 32" off the side walls and about 3' from the front wall measured from the tweeter center.

Conratulations!  Those beauties look wonderful.  I found out moving my speakers around that opening the dimension between the speakers as far as possible made the soundstage grow and added to the separation of the instruments, vocals etc... 

Just a thought.  I know the formulas and some speakers don't do well too close to the side wall.  But my SongTowers and my current speakers sound better close to the side walls in my room.  I installed one of my OC 703 panels right next to the speaker location.

Kirk

mathgeek97

« Reply #59 on: 20 Sep 2009, 11:57 pm »
The finish is just gorgeous on these.

No kidding!!!!!  Nice!  :thumb:

Got them placed, plugged in the cables, did several adjustments and then came time to give them a listen. Wanted to hear a favorite from the 70's first as it is still a song I enjoy immensely.  Traffic?s  Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.  This is a remastered CD. Wow! Every instrument was so clearly present it was a joy to listen to. I am not going to use the timeless cliches like "I heard things I never heard before" but I'm sure all of you who own these speakers know what I mean. The lows were clean and tight; midrange as well as highs very well defined. The vocals are something to behold!

Good to know.  That's a CD that I haven't thrown on since I got my HT2-TLs.  It's now officially on my list of things that are buried in my house that I need to find!