Naim CD5i vs. Eastern Electric Mini Max CD

earlmarc

« on: 25 Feb 2004, 11:28 pm »
Today I took a trip to Audio Emporium in Brown Deer WI. to compare two new promising CD players, the EEMM CDP and the Naim CD5i. The EEMM was selling for $1200 and the Naim CD5i for $1650. First up, is the EEMM CDP. I brought along some 1960 NOS Amperex-Holland 6DJ8 Bugle Boy tubes to compare with the Sovtek stock 6922 tubes. Unfortunately, the dealer didn't want to use the NOS tubes. Oh well. In stock form, the EEMM faired quite well against the Naim. The EEMM has a warmth typical of tubes that the Naim doens't. Along with its tube warmth, the EEMM has remarkably good bass, not quite as taut as the Naim, but definately has more presence without being loose. Each player was front stage, the Naim a little more foward. Depth and width of soundstage was close, but I give a slight edge to the EEMM. The EEMM is smoother than the Naim, but the Naim has a darker background and has better inner resolution. You hear further into the music with the Naim. The EEMM has good resolution but it doesn't reach as far as the Naim. Both players are dynamic and possess good rhythm and pace. The Naim has a certain groove factor and musicality that is different from the EEMM. The EEMM is passionate, expressive, dynamic, and smooth with a pace that is a step behind the Naim. The Naim is analytical, quiet, quick with a pace and rhythm that's toe tapping. The Naim gets to the music faster and carries you for the ride. The EEMM is smoother ride and surprises you with its expressiveness along the way. Both players were fantastic in their respective ways. This is just a brief comparison for now. The Naim CD5i is essentially a CD5 with the option of adding your own interconnect but without an option for upgrading to the FlatCap power supply. A good trade off. The EEMM has great potential for tube rollers. Thus, I give the edge to the EEMM CDP for now.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:11 am »
Earl-

Could you post a link of the EEMM?  I've never heard of it before.

Thanks,
Michael

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:12 am »
Thanks Earlmarc!

That was a great quick review.  It added enough info that someone with different preferences and priorities (like me) could make their own conclusion.  I would have probably chosen the NAIM based on what you said if I hadn't the chance to hear it myself.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:13 am »
EEMM = eastern electic mini max cd player.....I think the website is www.nysound.com if I am not forgetting.

earlmarc

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:24 am »
The website is www.eeaudio.com. I gave the EEMM CDP the edge for price and upgradibilty. I am sure with the right tubes that the outcome would have been different. I too would have chose the Naim CD5i without consideration of price and upgradibilty.

Carlman

Re: Naim CD5i vs. Eastern Electric Mini Max CD
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:25 am »
Quote from: earlmarc
The EEMM is smoother ride and surprises you with its expressiveness along the way.  ...

That's an excellent summarization of what I heard as well.  Also, the point about the inner detail or depth of a particular sound I noticed as well.

Excellent summarization.  My experience with adding the NOS tubes was  better soundstage, both in width and depth.  Also, there seemed to be more details as well.  It sounded less 'thin' with the Holland Amperex.

Did both of the units use the stock power cable?

-C

earlmarc

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:29 am »
Both units used stock power cords.

mca

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:29 am »
Well, that's not the EE website, but there's some pretty interesting stuff on it. Anyone know anything about Philly Audio?

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:31 am »
Yeah, based on your description, I would have chosen the Naim, but the EEMM sounds pretty good.  Of course, I'm the official (I'm nominating and electing myself :lol: )DEAN OF PRAT on audiocircle, so me choosing a Naim product should be no surprise.  Thanks for the link.  

BTW, why would one choose the NAIM that can't be upgraded?  Is it a cost issue, or do you need to use the NAIM connectors to get the upgradability?

Michael

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:34 am »
You can always build your own NAIM din type > RCA connectors.  I wouldn't imagine it to be hard.

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:34 am »
Just looked at the link- the EEMM looks pretty nice- like a high end piece should, right?  What's the price?

Michael

earlmarc

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:40 am »
You don't have to use DIN connectors. The CD5i will accept standard RCA connectors. Thus, you can use any RCA interconnect you desire.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:41 am »
I meant if you wanted to buy the CD5 which you can upgrade with external power supply.

WEEZ

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:49 pm »
-Hi earlmarc,

I came across this thread while "surfing" the circles, so I hope I'm not too late to get a little more info about your listening session with the CD5i and the EEMM...

Do you recall what amp & speakers were used for your comparison? I am soon to be in the market for a CD player and am considering the Naim- but haven't heard it yet (no nearby dealer).

Would you, based on your listening, recommend the Naim with tubed or solid state electronics?- for best synergy. My brother lives near Audio Emporium- and I hope to hear the Naim on my next visit to Milwaukee- but that won't be 'till this summer. My brother says that Audio Emporium really likes the Naim with the Bryston B60.

Thoughts?--

WEEZ

earlmarc

« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:55 pm »
Well the system I listened to was all EEMM. I think either player would work with solid-state or tube. My preference would be to use the Naim with a tube preamp and good solid state amplifier.

WEEZ

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2004, 11:04 pm »
exactly what I had in mind!

Remember what the speakers were?

WEEZ

earlmarc

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2004, 11:21 pm »
They were B&W Naut. Monitors.

WEEZ

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2004, 11:26 pm »
Thanks...

Used to own them- familier with presentation they have. You've been very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing the CD5i

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2004, 01:34 pm »
Well, I got my chance to hear the CD5i. I had to be in Milwaukee on a whirlwind trip- and spent about an hour at Audio Emporium to hear the new Naim player. (Dave is a real helpful, low key, but enthusiastic guy)

I didn't spend any time with the Eastern Electric player- not enough time plus, I was really just interested in the Naim player. I have no reason to doubt earlmarc"s comments on the Eastern Electric player, and I concur with his comments on the Naim player. My thoughts:

The CD5i is a well built player with a manual drawer, and comes in any color you want as long as it"s black. The magnetic clamp/puck arrangement is unique, and effective. As earlmarc said, it's presentation is "forward"- but I wouldn't say "in your face". It is smooth and doesn't sound "digital"; and it plays with sufficient texture so as to make the music "believable".

I found myself listening to the music and forgetting about the player after only a few minutes with the Naim. It is sufficiently transparant so it would blend in with many different systems quite well, in my opinion. It did a good job with solo piano, which is a difficult instrument to record and reproduce correctly. The machine is quiet. I could detect no grit, grain, or other artifacts that would be noticable on some of the other similarly priced players I've heard.

The Naim was paired with a Bryston B60 integrated; B&W 705's at first, then with the 805's. The Naim (or the Bryston either, for that matter) did not embarrass itself in the least with the 805's). The cables were Kimber. 4TC for the speakers, and I think, Hero's for the Naim, but I'm not sure on that.

Everyone has different tastes, but in my opinion, the Naim CD5i is a player that anyone looking at players in the $1700 price range should audition, if possible. It is refined and user friendly. Could I live with one?

Yup.

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2004, 01:35 pm »
Well, I got my chance to hear the CD5i. I had to be in Milwaukee on a whirlwind trip- and spent about an hour at Audio Emporium to hear the new Naim player. (Dave is a real helpful, low key, but enthusiastic guy)

I didn't spend any time with the Eastern Electric player- not enough time plus, I was really just interested in the Naim player. I have no reason to doubt earlmarc"s comments on the Eastern Electric player, and I concur with his comments on the Naim player. My thoughts:

The CD5i is a well built player with a manual drawer, and comes in any color you want as long as it"s black. The magnetic clamp/puck arrangement is unique, and effective. As earlmarc said, it's presentation is "forward"- but I wouldn't say "in your face". It is smooth and doesn't sound "digital"; and it plays with sufficient texture so as to make the music "believable".

I found myself listening to the music and forgetting about the player after only a few minutes with the Naim. It is sufficiently transparant so it would blend in with many different systems quite well, in my opinion. It did a good job with solo piano, which is a difficult instrument to record and reproduce correctly. The machine is quiet. I could detect no grit, grain, or other artifacts that would be noticable on some of the other similarly priced players I've heard.

The Naim was paired with a Bryston B60 integrated; B&W 705's at first, then with the 805's. The Naim (or the Bryston either, for that matter) did not embarrass itself in the least with the 805's). The cables were Kimber. 4TC for the speakers, and I think, Hero's for the Naim, but I'm not sure on that.

Everyone has different tastes, but in my opinion, the Naim CD5i is a player that anyone looking at players in the $1700 price range should audition, if possible. It is refined and user friendly. Could I live with one?

Yup.

WEEZ