What are you drinking right now?

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #140 on: 7 Jul 2013, 03:08 pm »
Martinis should have one or three olives...  :wink:

I took that as tongue in cheek.  8)  I have been drinking martinis for nearly 30 years and am well aware of the tradition that calls for an odd number of olives in a martini.  But I also follow the practice that one should make and enjoy their drink the way they prefer.  This is a take of sorts from what whisky writer/commentator Charles MacLean once said -- "people should enjoy their whisky however they choose: with water, without water, with ice, without ice, with Coca Cola, whatever." 

Everyone has their own preferences.  I know quite a few people who like a Manhattan made with bourbon.  I prefer the traditional recipe using a good rye, such as Whistlepig.  I think bourbon makes a Manhattan too sweet, but someone else might feel that it's just right.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #141 on: 7 Jul 2013, 03:20 pm »
So I make a note of Jeromes recommendations above and lo and behold my wife and son come home from TN with a souvenir.

I'm on it   :P

Oh, and I really like Urquell!!

That's actually a step up from the standard Four Roses Small Batch bottling.  The one you have is a single barrel, which is bottled at barrel strength.  I have a bottle of it too.  It's excellent bourbon, and Four Roses makes several bottlings of it using different mashbills.  The flagships of the Four Roses line are the Small Batch Limited Edition and the Single Barrel Limited Edition.  Here's a bottle of the 2011 Small Batch Limited Edition that I picked up early last year, it is unopened.  I'll get around to it once I have finished off my open bottle of single barrel.

--Jerome

FireGuy

« Reply #142 on: 7 Jul 2013, 03:31 pm »
My Father (RIP) enjoyed this brand for years.  Good bang for the buck for sure.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #143 on: 8 Jul 2013, 12:38 am »

This aged rum was distilled in Barbados, matured in American oak and finished in port wine casks.  It was bottled at the Bruichladdich distillery in Scotland.  When I first tasted this several months ago I had a hard time getting my head around the aroma and flavors.  It didn't really agree with me then but on this second sampling tonight I think I have figured it out.  What I am getting from this rum is a whiff of smoke, much like a peated Islay single malt.  So I am now wondering if this rum was aged in refill bourbon casks that were used to mature Port Charlotte single malt scotch whisky, which is a heavily peated whisky from Bruichladdich.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #144 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:53 pm »
A gin and tonic made with Bombay Sapphire, Schweppes tonic water, and a half slice of fresh lemon as a garnish.  Nothing fancy to be sure, but it's a fine drink.

--Jerome

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #145 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm »
Johnny Walker Double Black....this is becoming a habit!
Hey jsaliga, I'm using the same glencarin glass for my drink tonight.
You, are a classy dude!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #146 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm »
You, are a classy dude!

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm flattered by the compliment.  :lol:

--Jerome

jMelvin

« Reply #147 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:46 am »
An ice-cold Stella Artois lager.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #148 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:53 pm »
Enjoying a Harvey Wallbanger at the moment.  I'm not much of a vodka fan, but this is one drink made with vodka that I really like.  The other is a Bloody Mary.

--Jerome

pansixt

« Reply #149 on: 14 Jul 2013, 12:23 am »

:thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #150 on: 14 Jul 2013, 12:45 am »
A six pack of Modelo cervesa Mexicano.  It's about 98 degrees where I'm at today.

Gopher

« Reply #151 on: 14 Jul 2013, 01:52 am »

Stone's Ruin10. 

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/82250

Packs a wallop too!

pansixt

« Reply #152 on: 14 Jul 2013, 02:09 am »
Velly Intellesting Gopher,
Very Timely as well.
I took a break from the Rolle, and am currently polishing off a tall Arrogant Bastard Ale. (Possible Self Portrait) :lol:
Stone Brewing does have some tasty and potent potions. I will look for the Ruin10
James

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #153 on: 14 Jul 2013, 08:31 pm »

OK Jerome now what ??  :lol: You know I'm not much of drinker.
Any suggestions other than tonic water ??

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #154 on: 14 Jul 2013, 08:54 pm »
For a refreshing gin and tonic:

Put a tall highball or collins glass (8 to 12 oz glass) in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  When the glass is frosted fill it with ice and pour about 2 to 3 ounces of Bombay Sapphire into it.  Then add enough Schweppes Tonic water to fill the glass and give it light stir.  Add a slice of lemon or lime and enjoy.

There are a lot of different cocktails you can make with Gin: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/gin-cocktail-recipes-drinks_n_3314475.html

I personally don't go for fancy cocktails.  The only drinks I make with Gin is a dry martini and a gin and tonic.

--Jerome

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #155 on: 14 Jul 2013, 08:57 pm »
For a refreshing gin and tonic:

Put a tall highball or collins glass (8 to 12 oz glass) in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  When the glass is frosted fill it with ice and pour about 2 to 3 ounces of Bombay Sapphire into it.  Then add enough Schweppes Tonic water to fill the glass and give it light stir.  Add a slice of lemon or lime and enjoy.

There are a lot of different cocktails you can make with Gin: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/gin-cocktail-recipes-drinks_n_3314475.html

I personally don't go for fancy cocktails.  The only drinks I make with Gin is a dry martini and a gin and tonic.

--Jerome

Thanks Jerome  :thumb:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #156 on: 16 Jul 2013, 12:01 am »

Casa Noble Reposado Tequila.  Very nice.

--Jerome

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #157 on: 16 Jul 2013, 12:11 am »
Bucklin Bald Mountain Ranch Syrah, 2003

bummrush

« Reply #158 on: 16 Jul 2013, 03:15 pm »
My home roasted Guatemalan

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #159 on: 21 Jul 2013, 09:41 pm »
Jazz & Gin. We've been experiencing a lot of monsoon activity yesterday & today here in Mesa with strong winds, heavy rain & lightning. Temps are down to 80 degree.

A perfect day to spin some Jazz! Cheers!