Mississippi Grind

ajzepp

Mississippi Grind
« on: 16 Oct 2015, 06:09 am »
Okay guys, so few things in life are more satisfying to me than coming across an indy film with a miniscule budget, that sounds good, and then actually proves to be even better than I expected. Now typically when I see that critics gave a film a very high score, but the masses gave it a mediocre score, I am more likely to pass on it. Often this means it's some artsy fartsy film that is technically well done but just boring as all hell. Well in this case I am on board with the critics 100%. I suspect that maybe it's the ladies who are dragging this film down in the ratings, because it's very much a guy film.

I'm a sucker for any film about poker or gambling to begin with...and when you add in the "buddy" element, combined with the fact that it's more like a "fly on the wall observing a segment of someones life" vs having a distinct start and ending, I'm just SO  ready to go. I became a fan of Ben Mendelsohn when I watched the Netflix series Bloodline (slow burn, but solid once it gets going), and he impressed me here, as well. I'm not the biggest fan of Ryan Reynolds, but he did a great job.

I really loved this one...if anything I said above appeals to you, as well, give it a go.

mcgsxr

Re: Mississippi Grind
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm »
I saw it last week and do like most of Ryan's work.

I also like movies about gambling, but found this one equally about life and maturity.

It was good, but not great for me.  I would prefer Rounders to this one as an example.

Worth the time and $ to see it though.