De Cappos & Naim CDX2

OwenMeany

De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:16 am »
WOW, after I reviewed the De Cappo's and subsequently purchased them, things were looking good. New up for review I have the Naim CDX2. What a nice match the De Cappo's can handle anything this CDP can come up with! Bass, soundstage, mid-bass all is sooo much better..this speaker/CDP combo is worhty.

I have not had that much experience with Naim, I am finding this experience a good one.

Anyone use Naim Amps/Pre with the De Cappo's and care to comment?

Still seeking a great intergrated......

Thanks, jtb

mcrespo71

Re: De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2005, 02:22 am »
Quote from: OwenMeany
WOW, after I reviewed the De Cappo's and subsequently purchased them, things were looking good. New up for review I have the Naim CDX2. What a nice match the De Cappo's can handle anything this CDP can come up with! Bass, soundstage, mid-bass all is sooo much better..this speaker/CDP combo is worhty.

I have not had that much experience with Naim, I am finding this experience a good one.

Anyone use Naim Amps/Pre with the De Cappo's and care to comment?

Still seeking a great intergrated......

Thanks, jtb

I hear you on the Naim equipment.  If you like the way they present music, there are few other companies that even come close.  Anyway, contact Emil about Naim/De Capo's.  He ended up switching the MMDCI's to Neat Mystiques, which is the de facto standard for Naim equipment outside of Naim's own speakers, Linn's,and Royd's.

Emil

De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2005, 04:08 pm »
Well, I usually charge for my expertise but Im in a good mood today :wink:

During my transition from "round-earth" to "prat heaven" :mrgreen:
I ran my Decapos with a Naim CD5 and nait 5.
As you already know, the Decapos are as clear a window as any speaker.
What goes in come out with very little alteration. Naim gear is not known for being warm or ruler flat. They have an edge to them and that edge comes through as, at times, harshness and on the bright side. This may have been alleviated with differnt cables but with the Nait 5 you're stuck with Naims own.
I still feel that the Capos would benefit with a touch of warmth (set amps). Their transparency can be brutal sometimes. I also ran my decapos with an atmasphere s30 and my feelings remain the same.

I would keep the CDX2 but look elsewhere for amplification.

Vikram

De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2005, 01:05 am »
I too am a big fan of the CDX2. I heard it in Atlanta and thought it was the best single box player I had heard in a long time. Clearly the best in its price range. Naim amps and pres were...aggressive. Too pacey, too forward, too exaggerated.

I really recommend Audio Note Equipment especially the Meishu if you are looking for value. The more Audio Note I hear the more I like. Check it out.

Vik

catholic taste

De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2005, 03:55 am »
Naim amps like a load to push against and 92db is too little. I use a CD5 with a Korato (EL84 P-P) integrated and love the results. The Decapo's are very fast a critical ingredient of PRAT and a tube amp with speed is the real way to hear the Naim principal of "source first". I will one day own the CDX2 with XPS, Fraim stand and...

panderso

De Cappos & Naim CDX2
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2005, 08:50 pm »
By way of updating some Naim considerations...I ended up downsizing my system to Dulcets driven by the newer Naim Nait 5i edition and the Naim CD 5x.  Perhaps it is the less sensitive load of the Dulcets, at around 88 db, but I find this a very happy combination. The Nait 5i takes any cable you want, as long as your pins are narrow guage. I'm using some Nordost entry level silver coated ribbon, bi-wired. (I'll dig out the precise model partics if anyone's interested). I don't find the amp unduly harsh or forward at all in this combo, although it did seem to take a fairly extended warm-in period to open up fully. The music comes through for me in a very direct, clean, unadorned way; not at all hard or bright, if not with all the lush airiness you expect of a fully tubed rig.