My 9SE V2's vs. 9SE V1's - an evolving review...

stingfan

My 9SE V2's vs. 9SE V1's - an evolving review...
« on: 9 Jul 2007, 07:10 pm »
Just got back to town one week ago and received the V2 upgrade for my 9SE's.  An extremely quick, professional, and painless process.  Nuforce really takes care to handle your precious amps carefully through the process.  My SE's were basically brand new before the upgrades, and afterward, look perfect.  The new faceplate is nice.  I like how the V2 is a subtle labeling on the left of the face.  Very nice choice there on aesthetics. 

My review will come in a few phases.  This is the quick initial impressions, early in the break-in process.  Let me start by saying what you don't hear in these amps, immediately upon power up.  Nothing.  I mean, these amps are super quiet.  With my 101db Zu Druid's let me tell you, they 'hear' everything.  It's really true, and very noticeable improvement, no noise at all.  Their is no longer any significant sound, pop, or click upon power up of the amps either. 

Musically, the first thing I noticed was a markedly deeper soundstage.  Normally this  is hard for me to discern, but not after this upgrade.  I noticed it right away on Sting's All This Time live recording of his somewhat acoustic/jazz rendition of Roxanne.  (AAC Lossless audio via Sonos, out to the CIAudio outboard DAC, then to my Nuforce P-8) A really incredible experience!  Also the music presentation was much more forward and detailed.  I felt like vocals and instruments really jumped out of the speakers and onto a real soundstage.  Most noticeable at this stage of the break-in was in the ADSR.  The speed of these amps seem much improved from their already hyper fast action.  The attack and decay of notes are super crisp, likely made more discernible by such a low noise floor.  The Zu's are so coherent and fast, probably one of the few speakers that can truly keep up with the 9SE V2's and reveal the range and magic of these amps. 

The bass notes are even cleaner, and more transient than the 9SE V1's. This is important.  I really like deep bass, but for me it must it tight, transient, and clean.   The SE V1's were definitely deeper, heavier than the 9.02s that I originally had in my system.  The V2's have extended the depth of the bass, while tightening it up at the lowest end of the range as well.   The V2's are definitely squeezing a full 35Hz (or lower) out of my crossoverless "1.5 way" Zu's. 

Mid's and treble are also much improved.  Smoother and more revealed and detailed.  I often read people's reviews that claim things like "these amps or pre-amp have tube-like quality to them..." and always wonder how real those claims are.  Today I feel like one of those reviewers.  I think that the tube-like feel of these amps has to do with the deeper and more detailed soundstage and smoother more forward and detailed mid-treble range.  In all, a great combination of improvements that make these my favorite amps, and perfect pairing for my Zu's. Tube-like, but cleaner, more detailed-- and much better in this way.

I'm looking forward to further break-in, and some follow up remarks over the next couple weeks.  In summary, if you are considering this upgrade, even at the SE level, it is definitely worth the investment.  Big props to Nuforce on this one.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
Re: My 9SE V2's vs. 9SE V1's - an evolving review...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007, 11:47 am »
hey stingfan thanks for the update on V2, as of yet i have not heard one negative thing about it, other than a few on audiogon who just cant believe that a 8 pound amp can sound better than there 65 pound giants, for me the first ref 9 out played the big boys, then i got the SE upgrade and there was a increase of definition, and sound quality, now with V2 i am jumping at the bit for my turn in the upgrade line, from what you have said and others the difference for the better tops SE. well keep us updated on how breakin is going, and happy musical days,

stingfan

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2007, 11:54 pm »
Thought I'd drop a pic in here of my upgrade.  Check out the cool platforms I have for the amps.  They seem to be made just for Nuforce.  I assembled these from my leftover parts from Cubitec: (http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=2989), translucent shelving system.  Very rigid and nice on vibration dampening.

In the second pic, you'll see the blank platform where my P-9 briefly sat.  I'm sticking with the P-8 until they improve the accuracy and granularity of the volume control for my Zu's. :)

My Ref9SE V2's rockin' and rollin'

The Nuforce stable - making my Zu Druid's sing

nuforcelover

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2007, 02:49 pm »
my new 9SE V2  arrive today...and as first impression I do not find differences
with the v1,  but I can speak better after the burn in (how many hours Jason?)

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:09 pm »
my new 9SE V2  arrive today...and as first impression I do not find differences
with the v1,  but I can speak better after the burn in (how many hours Jason?)

What are the rest of the components in your system? Are they revealing enough?
Mike

nuforcelover

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:54 pm »
http://i15.tinypic.com/48rqt0o.jpg

Metronome CD4, Calypso preamplifier, Nuforce, Maggie's 1.6

ciao

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:58 pm »
Metronome CD4, Calypso preamplifier, Nuforce, Maggie's 1.6

Thats pretty revealing!! And you dont notice any difference in sound quality? Maybe a night or two of constant playing... would warm them up a bit.
Mike

nuforcelover

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:47 pm »
I think that wants some days of burn in....
thanks Mike 

nuforcelover

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:32 pm »
how hours long must be the necessary burn-in for new hardware (9SE V2)?
thanks alessandro 

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2007, 07:45 am »
If the SE capacitor board is new, then you will need at least 75 hours. Some people claimed to be able to tell the improvement all the way to 300 hours.  For the V2, it should sound pretty good right out of the box.

Adamay

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2007, 08:11 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing from "Nuforcelover" about whether he/she is now finding significant differences between the new 9SE V2 vs. the old 9SE's.  Burn-in should be complete by now, I'd think.  Thanks

nuforcelover

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:28 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing from "Nuforcelover" about whether he/she is now finding significant differences between the new 9SE V2 vs. the old 9SE's.  Burn-in should be complete by now, I'd think.  Thanks

if I must be sincere, big differences not are;  sure, the V2 is better,  but also the V1 goes very much good

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2007, 05:16 am »
This one is a very detail comparison between 9V1, 9V2, 9SE and 9SEV2

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce6/followup.html