Which format of "Moving Pictures" would you get, DVD-Audio Or Blu-ray

yyz

Which audio format would have the best sound quality? I will likely get the new OPPO Universal player coming out in March to play these types of discs.

http://rush.com/resources/php/viewStory.php?id=403

30th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION of MOVING PICTURES

features audiophile surround sound mix, music videos, rare photos, liner notes & more -- available April 5th

Rush's Moving Pictures celebrates its 30th anniversary this year with a spectacular Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition via Mercury/UMe. The reissue of this seminal album on April 5, 2011, will be available in two formats: (1) a digitally remastered CD plus DVD and (2) a digitally remastered CD plus Blu-ray. For this Deluxe Edition, the DVD & Blu-ray discs will feature the album and three bonus music videos, "Tom Sawyer," "Limelight" and the previously unreleased clip "Vital Signs," in both a stunning 5.1 surround sound mix supervised by the band’s Alex Lifeson using the original multi-tracks and in newly remastered stereo from the original analog master tapes.

Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio.  The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

The Moving Pictures experience has never sounded better or been more moving. Also included in the package is an extensive gallery with previously unreleased photos from the original recording sessions, new liner notes by renowned music journalist David Fricke and 30th anniversary artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme.

At quadruple platinum in the U.S., Moving Pictures was the band's eighth studio album and remains its biggest selling release to date, highlighted by the group’s best-known track, "Tom Sawyer," as well as the hit "Limelight," radio favorite "Red Barchetta" and Grammy®-nominated instrumental "YYZ." Rush continues to garner new fans through new recordings and touring, and are a mainstay at Mainstream Rock radio. Last year, Rush had 100 different tracks get radio airplay, one of only 6 rock artists--including AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, and The Rolling Stones—to have that deep a catalog. They also are one of only 16 artists to have remained in the top 40 in radio airplay for the last 10 years at Mainstream Rock. As singer-bassist-keyboardist Geddy Lee, lead guitarist Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart record their 20th studio album "Clockwork Angels" and continue their "Time Machine" tour in America and Europe this year--during which they will perform the entire album--Rush continues to stay true to the spirit that made Moving Pictures a classic.

Tracklisting:

FORMAT 1 (CD + DVD):CD:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

DVD-AUDIO/VIDEO:

Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)

Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)

Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

FORMAT 2 (CD + BLU-RAY):CD:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

BLU-RAY:

Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)

Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)

Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

niels

Take a look at the new Cambridge BD751 player also.....its actually also an OPPO.
I would get the BD.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
I would get this one.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I will get the deluxe edition Blu-ray version.

George

Rod_S

This is a hard one. I wonder if the resolution of the music videos will be the same on both formats as that could be a deciding factor. I have a Denon DVD-A1 so I can play either format.

I guess the question is, how does MLP compare to PCM, if there is no difference then it's a toss up and if one is considerably cheaper than the other that may be the one I get but either way this is a definite buy for me.

I really hope we start seeing more of this, not necessairly DVD-Audio as I realize that format is all but dead but high resolution on Blu-ray but I suspect with the majority of the population wanting their horrible sounding sub 100kbps mp3's the format is doomed to the same fate as SACD and DVD-Audio.

This is not the first Rush surround album as Snakes and Arrows was also available in a 5.1 mix but the difference there was it was just Dolby Digital. I found it odd at the time that they didn't do a high res DVD-Audio mix as well. Dream Theater did the same thing with their Systematic Chaos album. Oh how I wish for high resolution surround sound Dream Theater albums, I would be in heaven.

Napalm

I wonder if the resolution of the music videos will be the same on both formats as that could be a deciding factor.

The quality of the recording, mixing and mastering trumps the number of bits.

Since you guys recently mentioned Gary Moore here, I had the curiosity to check his "One Night in Dublin" Blu-Ray. It comes with a "HD" uncompressed LPCM stereo track, so it should sound good, eh? Both my ears and a visual inspection of the waveform said that it was mastered compressed and hot. It sounds crude.

Nap.

Rod_S

I see Amazon.com has the Blu-ray listed for appx. $5 more than the DVD-Audio version:

CD/DVD-Audio: $21.54
CD/Blu-ray: $26.68

Amazon.ca only has the DVD-Audio version listed so far and it's $26.99

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
YYZ,

in the beginning of your thread you said that 96khz/24bit is 256 times the resolution of the audio cd.

i understand the following:

audio cd is    44.1khz x 16bit x 2 channels = 1411,2 kbps
dvd audio is  96.0khz x 24bit x 2 channels = 4608 kbps

the dvd audio format has a higher resolution than the audio cd (redbook). but it is "only" about 3 times of the resolution of the cd ?! if the resolution would be 256 times higher we would talk about Megahertz resolutions. the sacd (dsd) format with 5.644,8 Mhz is 128 times higher than redbook cd. and therefore 256 would be 11.289,6 Mhz.

maybe i am missing something?

thanks,

al.

Mike Nomad

YYZ,

in the beginning of your thread you said that 96khz/24bit is 256 times the resolution of the audio cd.

the dvd audio format has a higher resolution than the audio cd (redbook). but it is "only" about 3 times of the resolution of the cd ?! if the resolution would be 256 times higher we would talk about Megahertz resolutions. the sacd (dsd) format with 5.644,8 Mhz is 128 times higher than redbook cd. and therefore 256 would be 11.289,6 Mhz.

thanks,

al.

I'm assuming the resolution being referenced is in regards to bit depth: 16-bit vs. 24-bit is a difference of 2 to the 8th power (which is 256).

alexone

ok, Mike. thanks. let's see what the other gentlemen have to say about it...any input is welcome :green:

al.

skunark

I'm assuming the resolution being referenced is in regards to bit depth: 16-bit vs. 24-bit is a difference of 2 to the 8th power (which is 256).

224 - 216 != 28

brucek

I'm assuming the resolution being referenced is in regards to bit depth:

Yep.

216 = 65536 voltage levels per sample.

224 = 16777216 voltage levels per sample.

16777216/65536 = 256 greater resolution per sample.

brucek

alexone

Brucek,

thank you! so i was on the wrong way, eh! :oops: :duh:

al.

yyz

YYZ,

thanks,

al.

Al,

I just copied the text I posted from the web link that described the upcoming disks. I have no technical knowledge about the bits. I am looking forward to this release because I always felt the RUSH CD's were not the greatest sonically.

I saw RUSH in Vegas with the wife in the summer and they played the entire Moving Pictures album inorder. Highly recommended even if you don't like the group, just to see the great muscianship.

alexone

...no problem at all,YYZ!  :D
well, Rush is not among my favourite bands :roll:...however, hopefully the hi-res material will become more and more available.

al.