Controlling Bryston System

yertletheturtle

Controlling Bryston System
« on: 9 Feb 2014, 04:04 pm »
My sob story:
I am a frustrated audiophile who has been on audio circle and audiogon for years trying to piece together audio nirvana from others' knowledge and used equipment. I have come close but ultimately failed miserably. Too many variables, too much money and time spent auditioning......too many variables!
Most recently I have been puting together a system around a pair of magnepan 1.6qr whose sound I love. The frustration came in with electronics that I just couldn't get to play nice with the maggies. So rather than give up on these speakers I decided to go Bryston electronics  top-to- bottom. Bdp-1 to bda1 to sp-2 to 4bst (for now). Bryston cables too. Variables be gone! Mostly used stuff but I'm a  middle class father of 3 cheapskate who is not interested in getting divorced over my expensive hobby.  If this fails I am either going to Bryston speakers or a boombox.
My question:
I would love to control everything via a single remote.
Do I do BR2 or the sp2 remote and 12v triggers?
**Or some really cool ipad control app with wifi -ir blaster?? ***

If so .....Do I need a Bryson br-2 to learn its codes?

Thanks to everyone for your invaluable advice.

Mag

Re: Controlling Bryston System
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2014, 05:15 pm »
I'm using 5 remotes, it's the only exercise I get.

I have the SP2 remote, I don't know how I would control everything with this remote. But I'm not remote savvy, too complicated for me.

Trust your own ears when purchasing equipment, what someone else likes may not be what you like. However you have too do extensive listening and evaluations of your own stuff to determine the weak link. Upgrade the weak links as you go. This way you learn to listen and you have enjoyment listening to all your music again with each upgrade.

yertletheturtle

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2014, 05:26 pm »
I'm using 5 remotes, it's the only exercise I get.

I have the SP2 remote, I don't know how I would control everything with this remote. But I'm not remote savvy, too complicated for me.

Trust your own ears when purchasing equipment, what someone else likes may not be what you like. However you have too do extensive listening and evaluations of your own stuff to determine the weak link. Upgrade the weak links as you go. This way you learn to listen and you have enjoyment listening to all your music again with each upgrade.
Thanks  for the wisdom!
I am hoping someone shares my fetish for a single master remote! Mission control.  The whole remote juggling thing seems so 80's.....

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:29 am »
I, too, would appreciate information on forum participants' experiences with remote control systems. Like Yertle, I have not yet found a suitable solution for controlling all our gear smoothly (gear listed below). I want something that my wife can use easily to play a CD/SACD/DVD-A, watch or DVD/Blu-ray disc, or watch TV from the cable box/DVR.

I'd like a system that works with an iPad/iPad Mini/iPhone. I looked at Roomie Remote (limited codes for the SP3, none for the BDP-2) and similar products, and I even contacted Crestron (the rep said our needs were so simple, there was no need for their system).

Thanks for your ideas.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:13 am »
How much extra work do you want to add? The more programmable the remote, the more expensive and complex it gets. I opted to go with URC, simply because for their Complete Control based remotes, you can legally get the programming software (depending on where you purchase the remote). I have all of my equipment behind closed doors and use one remote to operate everything. I (finally) made it simple enough that my in-laws (who don't even have cable TV) were able to pick it up and use it. But it took HOURS of programming and testing.

I found is that the remote companies (URC, RTI, Creston, Control4, etc) typically only sell their products to installers. The end-users can typically only get the remotes installed and programmed from the installers. There's a few other companies, like Roomie, that allow for end-user solutions. So far, I haven't found them to be nearly as robust though.

There's also the Harmony line you can consider. I specifically needed something that would work behind closed doors, so that option didn't work for me.

Also, there's one other thing to consider: IR codes. Bryston is great about providing those IR codes to users. Be aware that the software may not come with them. Be sure whatever company's remote you look at will allow you to import IR codes that are not already in the system.

yertletheturtle

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:57 am »
How much extra work do you want to add? The more programmable the remote, the more expensive and complex it gets. I opted to go with URC, simply because for their Complete Control based remotes, you can legally get the programming software (depending on where you purchase the remote). I have all of my equipment behind closed doors and use one remote to operate everything. I (finally) made it simple enough that my in-laws (who don't even have cable TV) were able to pick it up and use it. But it took HOURS of programming and testing.

I found is that the remote companies (URC, RTI, Creston, Control4, etc) typically only sell their products to installers. The end-users can typically only get the remotes installed and programmed from the installers. There's a few other companies, like Roomie, that allow for end-user solutions. So far, I haven't found them to be nearly as robust though.

There's also the Harmony line you can consider. I specifically needed something that would work behind closed doors, so that option didn't work for me.

Also, there's one other thing to consider: IR codes. Bryston is great about providing those IR codes to users. Be aware that the software may not come with them. Be sure whatever company's remote you look at will allow you to import IR codes that are not already in the system.
Thanks for the pointers.

I was considering the harmony line that can be replicated by ipad app and use a infra red blaster. It's called "smart control" it gets great reviews on amazon. I have a family that all carry iPhones and iPads so this approach makes a ton of sense for me. I will try it and report back. I hope I can program it with codes and don't have to buy a br2 just to teach the new remote.  We will see.

ec

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2014, 02:13 am »
For years I used (system in storage still):

- Xantech IR distribution kit (IR receiver at the front, IR emitters for all the gear)
- Universal Remote Company MX-500
- triggers from the SP 1.7 to three Bryston SST amps and to Monster power distriubtion centre and Mondial remote trigger.

There were no built in remote codes in the MX-500 for a lot of the gear I used including Bryston SP 1.7, iScan HD, Barco BG808 (old CRT projector), Velodyne SMS1.  In these cases, I used the learning function of the remote to program the features.  I created macro's to turn the whole system on and off.  I used this setup for years and it was rock solid.  The only time it would be flaky is when the batteries on the remote would near end of life (about every 6 months) and the IR signal was not that strong so some of the macro functions would be missed.

When I do rebuild my home theatre, I may change the remote to more wife friendly Universal Remote or Harmony that has a touch screen and icons. 

yertletheturtle

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2014, 08:13 am »
For years I used (system in storage still):

- Xantech IR distribution kit (IR receiver at the front, IR emitters for all the gear)
- Universal Remote Company MX-500
- triggers from the SP 1.7 to three Bryston SST amps and to Monster power distriubtion centre and Mondial remote trigger.

There were no built in remote codes in the MX-500 for a lot of the gear I used including Bryston SP 1.7, iScan HD, Barco BG808 (old CRT projector), Velodyne SMS1.  In these cases, I used the learning function of the remote to program the features.  I created macro's to turn the whole system on and off.  I used this setup for years and it was rock solid.  The only time it would be flaky is when the batteries on the remote would near end of life (about every 6 months) and the IR signal was not that strong so some of the macro functions would be missed.

When I do rebuild my home theatre, I may change the remote to more wife friendly Universal Remote or Harmony that has a touch screen and icons.
Thanks
I have ordered the Harmony and will be programming it in a similar fashion I think as your URC. I will report back on the Learning remote functions vs pre- programmed codes
Thanks