AC problem in a customer's home? Tube Amps.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
AC problem in a customer's home? Tube Amps.
« on: 31 May 2008, 09:12 pm »
Hello AC'ers. I have a situation that I cannot pinpoint over the phone. Here is the situation:

I have a customer with a fully tweaked pair of Bella Extreme 100 mono blocs. When he first received them and hooked them up (in pentode), they worked great. After a few days, he decided to switch into triode. Upon doing so, one amp would kick off the B+ relay so no voltage would go to that amp. The fuses would not blow. There is a B+ fuse and a main AC fuse.

He would then shut them down again and switch into pentode thinking maybe we had a problem with the triode switch or circuit. After doing this, the other amp's B+ relay would kick in.

Back and forth a few times, and days and periodically one of the amp's relays would kick off. It was completely random from one channel to the other and not happen every time. He even tried a different power strip with the same results. The fuse has never blown. He mentioned he tried direct into the wall but the more I talk to him, the less I beleive he did so.

Now it was time to send them back to me to check out. Like going to the dentist, they have performed flawlessly at my place for the past two weeks and in different systems with different AC lines. I even used cheap power strips to try to recreate the issue but not a single glitch yet.

I am assuming it has something to do with the AC in this customer's NYC apartment. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as my brain cannot come up with anything else.

pbrstreetgang

Re: AC problem in a customer's home? Tube Amps.
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2008, 09:31 pm »
I recently had a problem with an expensive and well known PC that either had intermittent contact  or something else going on causing havoc that I never dreamed was the cord. I have also recently talked to a friend with big name speakers that the passive crossovers were mounted at the factory backwards in orientation that the components would arc to the binding posts with power added messing up NOS tubes. Does this customer have problems with other amps? You could always send them to me Bill and I will give them a good playing for ya! :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: AC problem in a customer's home? Tube Amps.
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2008, 10:11 pm »
Does this customer have problems with other amps?

No, but his others are older and none of them have relays

You could always send them to me Bill and I will give them a good playing for ya!

I don't like shipping gear unless I absolutely have two. I do have one last pair that I was working on for my system that are SoniCap Platinum versions. I am going back and forth about selling these as I am working on assembling a new Audio Note SET system for the showroom. We just picked up Audio Note UK and the system will be a combination of finished products and our AN Custom pieces............ but that's a whole different thread :wink: