NBA season suspended

stlrman

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #60 on: 16 Mar 2020, 02:53 am »
They closed down all non essential businesses here in Pittsburgh for 2 weeks . CDC banning all parties / events to halt for 8 weeks.
Shit us getting real !!!
My Dad who is 80 and has a very fucked up heart , went out to get Bagels this am. What the fuck is he thinking ?
Stay the fuck home everyone !!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #61 on: 16 Mar 2020, 03:26 am »
So how many of you have lined the walls of your listening room with rolls of TP? Fess up!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #62 on: 16 Mar 2020, 05:20 am »
Many years ago when I first left home I roomed with twin brothers. One day we ran out of toilet paper... that was a hard lesson and something I vowed would never happen again.

Ever since I have maintained a very abundant supply of toilet paper - enough to last several years. Yes, I’m addicted to toilet paper. :lol:  Basically I’ve been buying it almost every time I see it on sale. This habit has been going on for years.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #63 on: 16 Mar 2020, 05:58 am »
I work for the state gubbermint in Harrassburg and we're closed. 
It is good to be a non-essential employee. 

Hope they didn't shut the barn door after the horse left.
We had one guy coughing his head off last week and my sinuses are going berserk but that could just be allergies.

stlrman

« Reply #64 on: 16 Mar 2020, 12:14 pm »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #65 on: 16 Mar 2020, 03:51 pm »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #66 on: 16 Mar 2020, 04:48 pm »

This is crossing over into politics, not appropriate.   The aggressive early intervention steps taken will help mitigate the severity.

Too little too late.  The genie is already out of the bottle.  Unless the virus mutates to a less virulent strain, it is here to stay.  There should have been a travel ban and quarantine for anyone returning from out of the country at least 1 month ago.  A travel ban does virtually nothing now that the virus is here unless we quarantine everyone for at least 2 months so the virus dies out.  Then you would need a semi permanent travel ban

Freo-1

« Reply #67 on: 16 Mar 2020, 06:12 pm »
Actually,  the travel band was implemented as soon as the information became available.   It was widely criticized for all the wrong reasons.   Turns out it was wise in retrospect. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #68 on: 16 Mar 2020, 06:42 pm »
So what if the
Genie is out of th bottle. All the sheet being done will slow the spread down. that besides stopping the virus it is killing what was left of the Retail sector, (except Grocery) plus restaurants, bowling alleys etc..
No need to worry though. Orange Face will fix it.  :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
 :roll:
 :lol:
 :?
 :lol:
 :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #69 on: 16 Mar 2020, 07:00 pm »
Actually,  the travel band was implemented as soon as the information became available.   It was widely criticized for all the wrong reasons.   Turns out it was wise in retrospect.

The travel ban should have been no travel in or out of the country period, not just certain countries.  We had info from the China outbreak way before the travel ban was instituted.  The travel ban will have no effect unless we quarantine everyone.  You are kidding yourself and not realizing how contagious and virulent this virus is.

kmmd

« Reply #70 on: 16 Mar 2020, 07:05 pm »
Too little too late.  The genie is already out of the bottle.  Unless the virus mutates to a less virulent strain, it is here to stay.  There should have been a travel ban and quarantine for anyone returning from out of the country at least 1 month ago.  A travel ban does virtually nothing now that the virus is here unless we quarantine everyone for at least 2 months so the virus dies out.  Then you would need a semi permanent travel ban

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-case-from-november-could-be-patient-zero/

I am 100% in agreement with you I.Greyhound Fan. 

This was something spreading for a while in China.  The docs there treated patients with the disease for over a month while it spread.  I'm sure a pattern of sick patients needing intubation, admission to the ICU's, etc. arose.  How much of this known information was suppressed by the communist Chinese government?  The coronavirus was finally reported to national health authorities late December.  The first case in the US was in Washington State where a 35-yr old man returned from Wuhan after visiting family.  He tested positive on January 20th.  IT WAS HERE THEN!  The major west coast airport hubs have had people traveling through them for months.  It is now everywhere.  Therefore a travel ban two months later is useless.

Leaders need to lead.  They need to take direction from experts in the field.  This virus will not disappear like a "miracle," and it will not just "flow through."  It is NOT "UNDER CONTROL."  They need to understand the science, listen to the experts and not mis / disinform the people.  Appropriate planning and measures need to be taken to prepare and not cause fear.  Appropriate resources need to be provided for adequate testing, prevention and protection.  Has this been done?

Photon, you ask excellent questions.  My understanding and what I read is the same as you.  However I do have the luxury of our poor ID docs, 4 of them, who have to field questions and provide advice to us in a couple of hospitals and numerous clinics in my service area. Please understand that when one is infected that there is an incubation period.  Then you are most contagious when you have the symptoms and can spread them.  With healthy immune systems, the viral load will decrease with antibodies attacking the virus and your symptoms will improve. After a week out, you may feel better, but there is still a viral load.  As we have seen, this coronavirus is community spread.  You may not have symptoms, but you may still spread it.  One may not have the cough, sneeze, runny nose or watery eyes, but it could be there.  As long as you have the virus in you, you can spread it.

As I go back to the original post, how many other sports have tested their players?  I am thankful that Rudy and Donovan are well.  I pray for the third in Detroit to be well soon.  I praise Adam Silver for what he did.  This will be his shining moment and what he will be remembered for.  Look at what has happened in just days.

Now as I get ready for a 11-hour shift, I pray that I will be well.  I will be wearing my N95 mask all shift and proper PPE when needed.  Be safe all and please stay home.  Please do not come to the filthiest place of all in the ER unless you really need to.  Please remember that a patient with COVID19 could be sitting next to you and that you are at higher risk of getting it there.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #71 on: 16 Mar 2020, 07:28 pm »
Well said KMMD.  Take care of yourself.  2 EM docs are in the ICU with the virus, one in his 40's, the other in his 60's.  I am thinking about taking a year sabbatical.  I love helping people but not at the cost of my life or my family's if I bring it home.  People need to stay out of the clinic's, Urgent Cares and Emergency Departments if they have a cough or cold symptoms as there is nothing that we can do for them. They should be seen if they are short of breath though.  Even if they think that they have a sinus  infection they should stay away.  95% of sinusitis is viral and gets better in 3-4 weeks without antibiotics. And almost all bronchitis is viral which typically lasts 4-8 weeks.

Back to sports.  I think that there will be no professional sports for at least a year and that includes the upcoming NFL and College football seasons.

kmmd

« Reply #72 on: 16 Mar 2020, 07:51 pm »
Thank you I.Greyhound.fan.  Please be well to you, your family and team of professionals.

I'm watching the joke of a press conference now.  I posted before it.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #73 on: 16 Mar 2020, 08:01 pm »
Our annual family reunion in May has been rescheduled for May 2021.  My mother is our chief concern, and her interacting with the petrie dishes we call her great grandchildren.   But several of us are in the high risk group as well.  We'll miss seeing each other, but we'd rather increase the chances of seeing each other next year.

kmmd

« Reply #74 on: 16 Mar 2020, 08:06 pm »
Wow look at the stock market reaction!

Be well Letitroll and family.  BE WELL TO ALL!  Be smart, self quarantine if needed.  Avoid catching it from someone else!  A little of bit of sacrifice now will go a long way.

Gee, I'm kinda glad I didn't go into ID.  I loved it when I rotated in it for 4 weeks as a med student.  I loved writing such precise and detailed notes and knowing more than the med student actually on the medical service.  LOL

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #75 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:34 am »
More bad news.  I just read that some patients in Japan became re-infected with the virus.

KMMD, it was in an article on Medscape with an interview with a French ID doc.

Freo-1

« Reply #76 on: 17 Mar 2020, 02:01 am »
We will have to see how this progresses.  No doubt it's very serious.   The problem is no one knows all the ins and outs of this. 

Keep in mind the amount of people that succumb to influenza each year.  There was a report to today that 15,000 people have died in the US from the flu so far this year.   

I maintain that IF there was more honesty and cooperation between governments when this first occurred,  the impact would have been less. 

Given where things stand, we collectively will need to work together and endure the consequences for a period of time before this turns around.

wushuliu

« Reply #77 on: 17 Mar 2020, 02:09 am »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #78 on: 17 Mar 2020, 02:56 am »
We will have to see how this progresses.  No doubt it's very serious.   The problem is no one knows all the ins and outs of this. 

Keep in mind the amount of people that succumb to influenza each year.  There was a report to today that 15,000 people have died in the US from the flu so far this year.   

I maintain that IF there was more honesty and cooperation between governments when this first occurred,  the impact would have been less. 

Given where things stand, we collectively will need to work together and endure the consequences for a period of time before this turns around.

The deaths from influenza in this country are much lower than last year.  Last year over 60,000 people died, mostly older people.  This year more children have died than in recent years.  There will be more deaths from COVID19 than influenza because it will kill more people 70 and older than influenza.  But many people 50 and older have comorbid risk factors like heart disease, Hypertension, COPD, Asthma, Kidney disease, Stroke and any number of autoimmune diseases, neuromuscular diseases that will place them at higher risk of dying.  Over 340 people died over night in Italy last night and over 150 today and still counting.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #79 on: 17 Mar 2020, 03:26 am »
Professor Chi is a friend of my wife's and mine. He's the head of OSU's Public Health Department. Until recently, I did not understand just how important Public Health is. This presentation was recorded March 11th, but was posted to YouTube this morning. I hope you find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XtVeSrq1g&fbclid=IwAR0ayNrpSYC-WilSUZG5L8kDcxcQ9J2Fy9uu1gZA4u65wmzUkpnGo8qlTqE