The NFL Season, 17-18

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
The NFL Season, 17-18
« on: 10 Sep 2017, 07:00 pm »
Here we go!!

Kansas City looks better than the Pats, so far.  :wink:

The Saints don't play until tomorrow night, so we'll see how bad their Defense is at that time. Speaking of the Saints, they seem to have the most difficult schedule in the League to start the first four games. Certainly the most difficult in their Division. Also, this may be Drew Brees' last season as a Saint; we'll see.

Who ya' got?

stlrman

Re: The NFL Season, 17-18
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2017, 09:23 pm »
Steelers apparently looked like crap in their victory. On paper the Steelers  have the most talent on offense.
It's Super Bowl or bust in a Pittsburgh as Big Ben is nearing retirement.

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2017, 02:20 am »
And despite horrible offensive line play, the Seahawks lost due to poor officiating!

Bad calls and none PI calls ...

MttBsh

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2017, 07:46 am »
As a Seahawk fan I can say that the team needed no help from the refs in losing, a high school team could have beat them today.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:21 am »
Glad I skipped the Giants game. 

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2017, 10:18 am »
The Iggles looked good yesterday lumping up the Redskins...unfortunately CB Darby dislocated ankle and could miss the season if surgery is needed. The Iggles are soft in the secondary and this will hurt...hope he heals up in time for the Playoffs  :eyebrows: 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:17 pm »
Nobody's talking about the Broncos --- and for good reason. I expect them to lose 5 out of their 6 division games and finish 4 - 12. The defense won't be close to the last couple of years and the offense will be mostly field goals with an occasional happy accident touchdown. Tonight against the Bolts in Denver is their best shot at winning a game against a division rival. I doubt if they can pull it off.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:31 pm »
Did anyone see the Lions/Cardinals game? The first half the Lions looked like a parody of a football team. The Lions defense saved the day, and finally the highest paid player in the NFL (Stafford) woke up. He ended up with 4 TD passes! Arizona managed a TD at the end of the game. Arizona looked shell-shocked.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm »
Already miss ESPN2 coverage of the CFL.

Play is so much slower, so many more commercials, so much quibbling over calls, so much showboating by grossly overpaid jocks, so much chatting about everything but the game (even the announcers are bored with the games). 

I live on DVR, and most games (not just the NFL) go more than the allowed +30 minute option.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm »
lol...I usually start watching the game 1.5 hours in, to miss the commercials. The Lions games are already too painful to watch in real time. Commercials would add "cruel and unusual" to the torture of the average Lions fan!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2017, 06:14 pm »
The Iggles looked good yesterday lumping up the Redskins...unfortunately CB Darby dislocated ankle and could miss the season if surgery is needed. The Iggles are soft in the secondary and this will hurt...hope he heals up in time for the Playoffs  :eyebrows:

Yeah, Darby was the glue that was going to hold the secondary together.  Putting him one on one against the #2 receiver let us double the #1.  Did you notice how the defense was way more porous after he left the field?  Some lucky plays, questionable ref calls, and the ineptitude of the Redskins made the victory seem bigger than it was.  On the plus side Carson looked fabulous.  A little rusty as was to be expected with almost no pre season time, but he really picked it up with some unbelievable escapes and dead on throws.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2017, 06:20 pm »
Steelers apparently looked like crap in their victory. On paper the Steelers  have the most talent on offense.
It's Super Bowl or bust in a Pittsburgh as Big Ben is nearing retirement.

For my other team, didn't get to see the game, local tv had the AFC game blacked out and I won't pay for the NFL package.  Reports from my Pgh peeps agree with your assessment.  Bell was ineffectual, Brown wasn't open that much, Ben was rusty, defense lackluster.  Lucky they were playing the Brownies.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2017, 06:47 pm »
Bears fan here stuck watching from Canada. One point to note is that NFL Sunday Ticket is no longer available through the cable company here so I had to sign up for DAZN streaming. The video quality is marginal, I had several streaming stops, a few audio drops...not really a first class replacement to Sunday Ticket. What the hell was the NFL thinking?

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2017, 08:14 pm »
Glad I skipped the Giants game.

LOL, I think the G-Men thought it was just a 'game' !

bluemike

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:10 pm »
49ers still struggling
I was expecting more

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:17 pm »
So now with 1/8 of the season completed, there has only been one good game.

rodge827

« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:57 pm »

Dallas?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2017, 05:00 pm »
A pronouncement such as this rather demands a definition of "good game". Can you take it beyond personal preference somehow? I really likes the Dallas/Denver game but I bet that isn't the one you thought was good.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2017, 06:44 pm »
Anyone catch that Monday night game???

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2017, 07:53 pm »
A good game is one where both teams play with skill for the entire game. So an error filled close game is not a good game, nor is a game where one team easily wins the first half and the other team wins the second half.