NTAJ What are we going to do?

arthurs

NTAJ What are we going to do?
« on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:14 pm »
Our little circle is so dormant it borders on non-existant....what say you members?  Ideas for get togethers?  Volunteers to host?  Should we have a meeting just to plan our future activities and forego the gear and tunes for a moment? 

Speak up and at least let's have a lively debate of what to do....short of that, what's the point of keeping this thing going?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: NTAJ What are we going to do?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:30 pm »
maybe we need to have a meeting just to get to know each other and have more one on one get togethers and then plan larger gatherings. i'm more than willing to host get togethers or just pm or email if you just want to have something to do on a weekend. :drool:
marvin

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:41 pm »
Move to Austin!! :banana piano:

kyyuan

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:55 pm »
what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do what to do

Is this sufficiently lively? :duh:

p.s. I'm happy to host an NTAJ's version of "rave."

marvda1

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm »
hello ken,  i think that's the problem, it's the same small group.  we need fresh blood...er systems :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2007, 08:07 pm »
Hey Guys,

Not sure you are aware but you just picked up one of our members sarmk (Ron). He's in Dallas somewhere. He's into low powered tubes, high efficiency speakers, vinyl and SB's. You might want to PM him. I'd bet he'd be in on a gathering.

oscar

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:31 pm »
Well, if it's only audio, I think everyone's seen my system.  In a year or so, I might convert the living room to a dedicated 2-channel room which means new speakers , new tubed amps, maybe a new tubed source player etc ....

The only thing I've added is a Blu-ray/HD DVD player so high def movies is my next big interest which would only be useful for an HD movie night.  If there is interest, let me know.  Oct 27 after 7pm, the Weekends of Nov 9 and Nov 29 are "spoken for" but anything else is fair-game.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:38 pm »
Why don't you lame azz Ft. Worth boys all pile in Arts Escalade and come down here to Austin to where the real audio is!!   :rotflmao: With the way he drives you'll be here in 15 minutes. :wink:

marvda1

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:45 pm »
what's the door prize aa
marvin

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:52 pm »
Silkworms???? :wink:

Wardsweb

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2007, 01:43 pm »
Maybe someone in the group can host a meet in or around Dallas? I know there are members of the Lone Star Bottleheads that have held meets up there. You can even check out the pictures from those past meets in the Lone Star Bottleheads Gallery. We have held them in McKinney, Terrell, Plano, Grapevine and several in Dallas. You just need someone to take the lead and make it happen. I would be more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to hold a meet to discuss the in's and out's, as I've been coordinating them for over five years.

brj

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:16 pm »
Many of the earliest meets were in the Dallas area (shooter, Gary, Brian71, etc.), but over the past couple of years, most of those volunteering to host have been on the Fort Worth side (arthurs, kyyuan, marvda1, Danny even further West in Wichita Falls).  The NTAJ has always stressed that the host chooses the size of group, focus of the meet, and all other particulars, so the host can limit or tune the "jam" to their needs.  At the end of the day, however, someone has to offer up their home, and that isn't always an easy thing to do...

Wardsweb

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2007, 05:55 pm »
Anyone ever contacted Jim with the Dallas Audio club to see about having a combined meet. Might be a good way to find some new members. We have done it with the Lone Star Bottleheads in the past with very good success.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasaudioclub/

oscar

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:11 pm »
I only know of one (1) combined meeting with DAC and that was when I hosted it; 35 people showed up (about 20 more than I was expecting). I'll volunteer to do it again but:

(1) there have been too many meetings in FW already, you need to move it around.

(2) A second 2-channel setup or two or three would have to be brought over (this actually worked the last time) (e.g. a pair of LS9s would be nice).  My stereo rig is "integrated" with a Home theater system (mostly SS/digital with a 2-channel tubed preamp making cameos).

I'll volunteer to host a large gathering if there is sufficient interest and if someone else doesn't volunteer, especially further east.

Wardsweb

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:18 pm »
Contact Jim about having it at his house. You get two listening rooms, food and lots of fun.

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:36 pm »
Jim Rivers?

Wardsweb

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:50 pm »
The one and only. Ask him about being a grandpa.

oscar

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2007, 07:37 pm »
Jim Rivers has already dis-owned any future gatherings more than about 9-10 people.  Once was enough for him on large gatherings.

arthurs

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:01 pm »
I know Jim well, as Oscar said he has made the decision to scale back his activities dramatically and be very selective about when/how he hosts or participates, he's going to focus more time with family....a really good call I think....

Wardsweb

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2007, 10:21 pm »
Okee Dokee, I stand corrected.

If you ever want to make a road trip, I'm always open to get togethers big or small. I have the 2-channel system in the living room, the home theater in the den (also used for any gear others bring) and depending on the weather we setup multiple systems on the patio. There is also the "audio cave" at the back of the house that has three working systems setup, my audio work bench and my computer command and control station. I guess you could count the system hooked to my computer as a fourth system in that room. Stuff is always changing around, but there is never a shortage of toys to play with.