powering a MacBook with a LPS?

cporada

powering a MacBook with a LPS?
« on: 9 Oct 2019, 05:27 pm »
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has found an affordable way to power a MacBook with a linear power supply in lieu of the Apple MagSafe "brick".  I'm using a 2011 13" MacBook Pro (with upgraded RAM and SSD, clean iOS install with no non-music software) as a dedicated music player via Tidal, Qobuz, and JRiver to access hi-res files stored on a network drive, and am thinking the MagSafe is not likely doing any favors to the setup.  I found a YouTube video showing how to easily clip the cable off the MagSafe and use it to power a MacBook via a DC power supply, but I have no clue what the specs would need to be on a LPS to drive the MacBook in place of the 80W MagSafe.
Any thoughts on whether this would make any improvement, and if so, what specs a LPS would need to have to dot he job would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: powering a MacBook with a LPS?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2019, 07:51 pm »
Hey Chris,

I asked Paul Hynes several years ago and this was his response:

"I usually sell the SR7EHD-16v5 for the Macbook Pro and everyone who has had one has been very pleased with the resulting sound quality. I will need the lead from your current external power supply to fit a suitable connector for the SR7EHD. Unfortunately the Maglock connector is not available as a separate item as it Apples proprietary design.

The SR7EHD costs £650 and the modification of the DC lead will cost £15 including the SR7EHD connector."

If I recall Paul's naming convention properly, that's a 16.5V power supply rated at 7A continuous.  Sounds like over-kill, but I'm pretty sure Paul never under-speced anything.

Todd

cporada

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2019, 08:11 pm »
Hi Todd,
Thanks!
So, if I understand correctly, I could simply get a LPS with those characteristics and use my MagSafe lead/adapter (after cutting off the "brick") to connect to an appropriate DC plug and attach to the LPS? 
Looking through some of Paul's old posts on Audio Circle, hem mentions the need to remove the internal SMPS, at least with the Mac Mini.  If that's required to glean a benefit from using a LPS on the MacBook, that's way beyond my skill level.
Thanks again,
Chris

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2019, 04:09 pm »
If you have the right voltage and current requirements (same as the wall-wart or better), then all you need is the cord.  You can get these on ebay if you hunt.

Steve N.

cporada

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2019, 03:15 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks!  Would you predict that the use of a LPS on the MacBook should noticeably improve sound quality over the wall-wart?

Best,
Chris

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2019, 01:21 am »
Hi Steve,

Thanks!  Would you predict that the use of a LPS on the MacBook should noticeably improve sound quality over the wall-wart?

Best,
Chris

It helps the USB on a Mac Mini, so it will probably help the USB on the MacBook.