El Tio

Charles Xavier

Re: Clayton is not done....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2023, 05:45 pm »
Impressive

Tangram

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2023, 05:58 pm »
Clayton may be a nice guy and a good designer but I’m disappointed with my Spatial experience. I own a pair of speakers with a “special” tweeter that’s out of production less than two years after I bought mine, so if I need a replacement I’m out of luck. Once bitten, twice shy, as the saying goes.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:01 pm »
Clayton may be a nice guy and a good designer but I’m disappointed with my Spatial experience. I own a pair of speakers with a “special” tweeter that’s out of production less than two years after I bought mine, so if I need a replacement I’m out of luck. Once bitten, twice shy, as the saying goes.

Welcome to the world of high end audio.  I am in the same situation with the midrange drivers of my main speakers, and they are not Spatials. 

It's very common.  The number of times this happens in the high end, is legion. 

Tangram

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:30 pm »
Welcome to the world of high end audio.  I am in the same situation with the midrange drivers of my main speakers, and they are not Spatials. 

It's very common.  The number of times this happens in the high end, is legion.

I realize there’s some risk with small manufacturers but I actually thought that buying a passive speaker would minimize that risk. Let’s face it - most of them remain problem-free for years and years. Mine may very well do the same. Still, Clayton’s choice of tweeter for the M3S turned out to be a mistake, even if the reason was unforeseen.

I guess I better resist the urge to really crank the volume if I want to continue enjoying these amazing speakers  for a long time!

Charles Xavier

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:36 pm »
I guess I can pursue the American dream with the spare pair of tweeters I have. Seriously though I haven't heard of anyone complaining of broken tweeters.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:51 pm »
I guess I can pursue the American dream with the spare pair of tweeters I have. Seriously though I haven't heard of anyone complaining of broken tweeters.

I seem to remember one poster having issues with tweeters going back a year or so.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2023, 07:23 pm »
So, is this a new speaker company or a part of Spatial Audio Labs? Generally, there's a multi-year non-compete agreement between someone selling their company and someone who buys it. This would be super uncool if the Spatial Audio Labs folks aren't on board 100%. Can we get some clarification?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2023, 07:36 pm »
I seem to remember one poster having issues with tweeters going back a year or so.

If memory serves, the original crossover didn't do enough to protect the tweeter from low frequency information and that the crossover was corrected after the 1st generation.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2023, 07:45 pm »
So, is this a new speaker company or a part of Spatial Audio Labs? Generally, there's a multi-year non-compete agreement between someone selling their company and someone who buys it. This would be super uncool if the Spatial Audio Labs folks aren't on board 100%. Can we get some clarification?

I get it -- some of us are curious. Nevertheless, that's none of our business and we're not entitled to receive clarification. Besides, this isn't the first time Clayton has sold his company and started another one. Not a big deal folks. 

Charles Xavier

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:11 pm »
New website is up just Google it. I don't want to post it here.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:15 pm »
I get it -- some of us are curious. Nevertheless, that's none of our business and we're not entitled to receive clarification. Besides, this isn't the first time Clayton has sold his company and started another one. Not a big deal folks.
I would respectfully disagree, if Spatial Audio isn't on board with him starting a competing company. It would not be a good thing if they were blindsided by this after saving Spatial Audio.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:26 pm »
New website is up just Google it. I don't want to post it here.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:44 pm »

There's a very good chance you can find suitable replacement tweeters. Of course you'd need to replace both at the same time, but it's likely only a minor issue and it could even be an upgrade.

DaveWin88

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:55 pm »
I'm sorry guys, I'm not a fan of NRD (best thing since sliced bread guy) Good luck to Clayton. I've since moved on. I couldn't take the M100 any longer. Still plan on a fix for them (M6) down the road. Great speaker that was crippled imo.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2023, 10:06 pm »
I'm sorry guys, I'm not a fan of NRD (best thing since sliced bread guy) Good luck to Clayton. I've since moved on. I couldn't take the M100 any longer. Still plan on a fix for them (M6) down the road. Great speaker that was crippled imo.

You and me both. That clown is a camera hog.

Mr. Big

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2023, 11:28 pm »
WOW! Clayton does this all the time, starts a company (Emerald) sells it, then starts a new one (Spaital)sells it, and now sells Spatial Audio, he within weeks starts a new company up, while many of us are left holding the bag with speakers where there may not be parts and he's sold and moved on. Fool me once, fool me twice. 

DaveWin88

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2023, 12:47 am »
You know guys I'm really trying to help here. I have a greater appreciation for the Spatial M6 and I'm going to share my journey here as it might shed some light on someones future potential purchase. I bought a pair of Magnepan .7's. One of the biggest takeaways is that I LOVE open baffle/planar speakers. Now that I have lived with the Maggies (and love them) I would say that a point source speaker like the Spatials are my endgame speaker of choice, with a hitch though :) Once you hear a soundstage that has proper height, you can NEVER go back. That being said, I believe that speakers with a driver array like the Pure Audio Project, is absolutely the answer. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" Clayton needs imo to go down this road.

doggie

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2023, 01:53 am »
WOW! Clayton does this all the time, starts a company (Emerald) sells it, then starts a new one (Spaital)sells it, and now sells Spatial Audio, he within weeks starts a new company up, while many of us are left holding the bag with speakers where there may not be parts and he's sold and moved on. Fool me once, fool me twice.

I have similar thoughts. This whole scenario seems a bit unstable. How is it that the person who owned Spatial felt the need to leave his own company to start a new one and offer a product that appears to be essentially the same? I also wonder how Spatial will survive without the creative force behind the company and who is now apparently competing against it.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2023, 02:04 am »
so if I need a replacement I’m out of luck

This is the risk we take buying from small companies. I have the same mid drivers that Tyson spoke about, the BG Neo 10. Only in my case I bought a pair after they were discontinued. Glad I did so I made a pair of GR Super Mini's. The best thing we can do is not blow the stuff up and enjoy.

Rocket Ronny