The Amazing AVA DAC 5 - available right now

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: The Amazing AVA DAC 5 - available right now
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:52 am »
I recently built a streamer using HD-Plex H5 chassis. This new AVA Mk 5 DAC looks to be just the thing to stream from the USB port. Now what do I do with my AVA Fet Valve Hybrid DAC?  :D

Make a new thread of what you built, Ron.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2017, 08:55 pm »
Frank let me take home his new DAC to review.  I will post a detailed review later in the week.  I have some audio friends coming over tonight to give it a listen and compare it to my Luxman DA-06 DAC.

I did some brief listening earlier today and I am impressed.  It is definitely better than the DAC that it replaces by a long shot.

Wally King

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:08 pm »
I have the AVA Vision Hybrid DAC. Anyone (including Mr. Van Alstine, of course) able to provide a direct comparison between the older DAC and the DAC 5?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:19 pm »
I have the AVA Vision Hybrid DAC. Anyone (including Mr. Van Alstine, of course) able to provide a direct comparison between the older DAC and the DAC 5?

The D5 is better in every way.  It is more musical and detailed with better sound stage and depth, They are not even close in sound.  The D5 was on par with my $5K Luxman DAC.  The Lux did DSD better though.  Read my review if you haven't already done so.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149777.0

Wally King

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:15 pm »
Yes, I did read your review, comparing the DAC 5 with the Luxman.  I wasn't sure if you were familiar with the Vision Hybrid DAC for a direct comparison with the DAC 5.

Thanks.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:31 pm »
Yes, I did read your review, comparing the DAC 5 with the Luxman.  I wasn't sure if you were familiar with the Vision Hybrid DAC for a direct comparison with the DAC 5.

Thanks.

I have heard all of Frank's DAC's and did reviews on a few of them.  I own a few pieces of AVA gear (Ultra hybrid preamp and Ultra Hybrid DAC with all the upgrades) and have been to Franks house and have heard most of his gear over the years.  I considered buying the Vision DAC in the past.  It is a very good DAC but not in the same league as the DAC 5.

ricmon

Re: We have another new addition to our product line.....
« Reply #26 on: 4 Aug 2017, 05:32 pm »
You are being unrealistic. No designer can predict what new advancements are going to be made in the future.  Plus, what other items are upgradeable?  Cars can't be upgraded.  Most computers have limited ability to be upgraded.  Something that is software-based can usually be upgraded in these dacs.  Otherwise you need to buy a new one.

In fact cars can be updates.  It's done all the time.  It's called reto-mod.   :D
RIc

avahifi

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2017, 01:15 pm »
Actually our new DAC Mk 5 is designed with future upgrades in mind as the digital music material changes.

First, any of the three socketed microprocessors can be replaced or reprogramed as necessary.

Second, the input controller board and the output board containing the DAC and output circuits are separate plug in boards, as are the optical input board, USB board, and display board, that can be replaced separately as the digital landscape changes.

We do have your back covered as always at AVA.

Frank

witchdoctor

Re: We have another new addition to our product line.....
« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2017, 01:26 pm »
Hopefully, the thinking that went into the new dac - it will be upgradable in the future - when a new the dac goes into production

we all think this is the final version - when a manufacturer comes out with a new product

In this day and age - isn't it incumbant for a maufacturer to make his products upgradable - How in the world would you keep old clients like myself? I cant keep laying at full price for products that arent upgradable

MSB has an upgradeanle DAC at $15K a pop, this DAC is just $1700 in comparison. I try to budget for a new DAC about every 5 years, just like I do the HT prepros. I would never drop more than $2K for a component that is semiprocessor based because you know they have a short life cycle.

witchdoctor

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2017, 01:27 pm »
Actually our new DAC Mk 5 is designed with future upgrades in mind as the digital music material changes.

First, any of the three socketed microprocessors can be replaced or reprogramed as necessary.

Second, the input controller board and the output board containing the DAC and output circuits are separate plug in boards, as are the optical input board, USB board, and display board, that can be replaced separately as the digital landscape changes.

We do have your back covered as always at AVA.

Frank
Frank that's good news that you can upgrade, how about an MQA upgrade? I am in the market for a new DAC but want it MQA compatible, thanks.

jandrews

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2023, 07:51 pm »
This is an old thread
Just have a question about this discontinued Dac5…

Was this unit ever offered with the RB black faceplate … but still with the soft-start power switch and blue LED?
So like the silver pictured, but in the black faceplate.

Thanks
Jason

ceylon

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2023, 02:07 am »

avahifi_lj

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2023, 07:31 pm »
Hi,

It was only offered with the silver faceplate.

Larry