Active Crossover Questions?

bunnyma357

Re: Active Crossover Questions?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2010, 07:38 pm »
I am pretty much a total novice - so the bulk of my "design" would be in the tedious adjust, measure, listen, repeat process of setting up the system. The complexity of building from scratch is one of the reasons I am planning on modifying my existing speakers first - it seems like other than adding 2 pairs of binding posts, everything would be easily reversible as well.

My plan for working around the electrical transfer function/filter which as I understand it, is tailored to each driver to adjust the frequency response to get the desired performance on & off axis, will again be in software. In addition to running the crossovers via software, I plan to first get everything as close to how I want with trial and error, using free testing methods like Room EQ Wizard, then when I feel I am close I plan on using room correction software to adjust for anomalies in the speakers and speaker room interaction.

I have already treated my room, and will do more in the future, at which time I can re-calibrate - hopefully, requiring less and less correction to the signal as I make improvements.

I think the model I am aiming for is a poor man's DEQX, which I can test with the equipment I currently have and then add dedicated amps in the future, if I like the results.

One of my big concerns still is protecting the drivers - since if I open the wrong application it will send a full range signal to every driver. I know that doing everything in software - requiring specific applications, will also limit a fair amount of the flexibility of a computer based system.

Jim C

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2010, 07:56 pm »
I am pretty much a total novice - so the bulk of my "design" would be in the tedious adjust, measure, listen, repeat process of setting up the system. The complexity of building from scratch is one of the reasons I am planning on modifying my existing speakers first - it seems like other than adding 2 pairs of binding posts, everything would be easily reversible as well.

My plan for working around the electrical transfer function/filter which as I understand it, is tailored to each driver to adjust the frequency response to get the desired performance on & off axis, will again be in software. In addition to running the crossovers via software, I plan to first get everything as close to how I want with trial and error, using free testing methods like Room EQ Wizard, then when I feel I am close I plan on using room correction software to adjust for anomalies in the speakers and speaker room interaction.

I have already treated my room, and will do more in the future, at which time I can re-calibrate - hopefully, requiring less and less correction to the signal as I make improvements.

I think the model I am aiming for is a poor man's DEQX, which I can test with the equipment I currently have and then add dedicated amps in the future, if I like the results.

One of my big concerns still is protecting the drivers - since if I open the wrong application it will send a full range signal to every driver. I know that doing everything in software - requiring specific applications, will also limit a fair amount of the flexibility of a computer based system.

Jim C

Knock yourself out.... if anything it will be a learning experience.   If you start with affordable drivers... you don't have to worry much about smoking one.    The tweeters are the weakest link so start with relatively affordable drivers and once you have some confidence that you are not smoking them, swap some better units in there and go through the process again.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2010, 08:09 pm »
Can't he just protect his drivers by adding a capacitor? You have to know what size and whether to install in series or parallel. Right?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2010, 09:22 pm »
Can't he just protect his drivers by adding a capacitor? You have to know what size and whether to install in series or parallel. Right?

You can protect a tweeter from DC but that won't necessarily protect it from being run too low.    Some ribbon tweeters will pop with a standard chirp from the testing sequence.    If you run them below where they like to be crossed over you get substantially more distortion and you can eventually destroy it.    Where that line is depends on the physical properties of the tweeter, what you feed it and a simple cap won't always be sufficient to cover all circumstances.   

It is certainly good enough to get started but don't use your $500 super high-end tweeter when you start to experiment.   Go buy some $10 Parts Express specials and experiment with those first.