Wedgie Crossover

mkane

Re: Wedgie Crossover
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2019, 10:55 pm »
 Thanks, fellas. Had company and got sidetracked. Been final sanding wedgies getting ready for epoxy or drivers whichever comes first. I need a bigger piece of wood for the crossovers so it explains itself a bit more.

mkane

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:57 pm »
 Is this a workable setup? thx

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2019, 08:10 pm »
Is this a workable setup? thx

Oh, no, no, no... don't do that. You just degraded the signal so badly with all of those connectors that you might as well have just put the cheap budget parts in there. Get rid of all of that. Go to this thread and follow the example of how to assemble them: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.0

mkane

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2019, 08:21 pm »
 :lol: figured as much. thanks

mkane

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2019, 09:14 pm »
keep it simple stupid

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2019, 10:22 pm »
Looks correct.

And use the supplied wire. It is four 9's pure Copper that is solid core and jacketed in polyethylene. It's really good.

mkane

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:11 pm »
thanks and wired

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:14 pm »
That will work.

mkane

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:09 pm »
 Excellent. Low-level imaging is excellent and my preference volume wise. Have 1 album side played so far. Cardinal sin to put these together but until I rip the carpet out of our hobby room so I can epoxy these inside, no harm. Cudos Danny, WAF factor very high. Her first words, awesome.

BTW, I tweaked the frame installing the first 3" woofer not having it seated properly. I'll be needing a replacement when we return.

mkane

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2019, 05:20 pm »
  Thoughts on copper foil inductors? thx

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2019, 05:27 pm »
  Thoughts on copper foil inductors? thx

Subtle improvement in the mid-range easily noticed on high end gear, and not so much with mid-fi level or entry level gear.

mkane

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2019, 08:08 pm »
  Thanks. I left the first crossovers intact with the original parts just in case, and through this together with new parts. Nothing boutique, and there is a noticeable difference. I consider my gear a step above mid fi, using a HK Citation II on the Wedgies, Herron phono pre/SUT and various decks/cartridges.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2019, 11:29 pm »
  Thanks. I left the first crossovers intact with the original parts just in case, and through this together with new parts. Nothing boutique, and there is a noticeable difference. I consider my gear a step above mid fi, using a HK Citation II on the Wedgies, Herron phono pre/SUT and various decks/cartridges.

The foil inductors are nice, but the Sonicaps on the original crossover are much higher quality than the Erse caps.

mkane

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:19 am »
  Danny, I'll make the switch when I take these apart for finishing. thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:46 am »
Add some Platinum by-pass caps to the Sonicaps. At first I didn’t use them but now I put them on all my speakers, including the Wedgies

mkane

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:51 am »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2019, 02:02 am »
Danny recommends Platinums in the tweeter circuit and Gen IIs in the Woofer circuit. I put Platinums in both but then I don’t always listen🙂

PM Danny and he will tell the values you need for each circuit

Mike

mkane

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:29 pm »
  My search revealed that 1/100th of the original value is a good starting point and quality should be one up.

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2019, 05:57 pm »
I use the  Gortz Alpha  Core foil inductors on the networks now, to me  they are a  relatively inexpensive upgrade.
We too have been using the Sonicap  Platinums as bypass caps on the   high pass (tweeter) cap,  if you  can get them (might be sold out of the .022's),  a .022 or .047 uF should  work fine
Have also tried the Jupiter Copper  foils  of the same value  in the same position but prefer the  Platinums there.
Have been using  .1uF Jupiter Coppers on the   mjdrange leg. the gen II's do work well here as well.
Another  very inexpensive cap I've tried on the midrange cap is the ishay Roderstein . I actually  really  like these, don't let the  cheap price fool you.  they do have short leads ,   usually have to add length to reach around  a  "large"  cap.  I keep meaning to try  them as bypass's on the high pass cap as well,  just haven't   done   it.

You can get the  Sonicaps, Jupiters and  gortz  inductors  through  Danny

jay

mkane

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2019, 06:53 pm »
  Thanks guys. I have a pair of Jupiter .022 uf's