Fast/soft recovery bridge for MB-100

sejarzo

« on: 30 Jun 2005, 11:38 pm »
Seems to be a hot topic on various DIY boards--that most amps should sound better with such a bridge compared to the standard OEM module.

I considered one for my old Acurus A150 before I sold it and bought the MB's--it used a package bridge with fast-on terminals--but while Diotec lists a fast/soft version in the same package with the same ratings that would have been a no-brainer swap, it's not sold in small quantities. I haven't even popped the lid on my MB-100's to check things out closely, but pics on the review sites appear to show the same sort of package as was in the Acurus.

Has anyone swapped in an IXYS fast/soft bridge in the MB-100? Was there a marked improvement in the sound?

Curt......have you evaluated these in the MB-100?

Thanks for any input!

Curt

Re: Fast/soft recovery bridge for MB-100
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2005, 02:25 pm »
Quote from: sejarzo
Seems to be a hot topic on various DIY boards--that most amps should sound better with such a bridge compared to the standard OEM module.

I considered one for my old Acurus A150 before I sold it and bought the MB's--it used a package bridge with fast-on terminals--but while Diotec lists a fast/soft version in the same package with the same ratings that would have been a no-brainer swap, it's not sold in small quantities. I haven't even popped the lid on my MB-100's to check things out closely, but pics o ...

This type of Diode bridge can be very helpful if your amp's power supply easily runs out of power, what they really do well is transfer power faster to the reservoir capacitors. Be aware that they can also produce transient spikes that need to be controlled, which is not difficult, or the S/N ratio can become degraded.

I've heard this type of diode in a prototype MB-100 and was not able to hear any desirable improvement.

Perhaps this lack of noticable improvement was due to the over sized power supply in the MB-100 plus the fact that it is not a high-powerd amplifier.

sejarzo

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2005, 05:59 pm »
Thanks for the info, Curt!