What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jimdgoulding

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #1060 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:49 am »
'gon-  I couldn't tell if Nat Hentoff liked it either.  Something like that probably was needed because Trane really got into another gear with that release.  I just remember not being able to go there no matter what I smoked.  It was just too dark and turgid for me.  Now, that's from memory.  I haven't heard it since it's release.   

Last night I listened to two releases from Jan Garabek/Bobo Stenson Quartet on ECM, Dansere (1976) and Witchi-Tao-To (1973).  The closing track on the latter, Desireless, is 20 minutes long and the best thing that ever happened to Garabek to these ears is Bobo Stenson, and Palle Danielson, and Jon Christenson.  It is a superb piece.  Danielson's instrument is beautifully recorded as his playing is profoundly good.  I just love that selection.  Stenson is amazing and very passionate and long, thankfully.  You can't just sample it, however, cause it takes a while for it to unfold.  It's one of those tunes that builds momentum.  But, you can buy it and I sure would recommend that jazz fans do.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1061 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm »
In Person: Saturday Night at the Blackhawk, Vol. 2 [Live]
Miles Davis | Format: vinyl

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1062 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm »
 Miles...Live at the Blackhawk! :thumb:

Wayne Shorter.... SPEAK NO EVIL
with  Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Elvin Jones

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1063 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:39 am »
Shelly Manne and His Men at The Blackhawk, vol 1 (Contemporary).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1064 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:46 am »

dr. Lonnie Smith:  Jungle Soul      

some funky smooth Hammond B-3 & guitar work  

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1065 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:55 am »
'gon-  I couldn't tell if Nat Hentoff liked it either.  Something like that probably was needed because Trane really got into another gear with that release.  I just remember not being able to go there no matter what I smoked.  It was just too dark and turgid for me.  Now, that's from memory.  I haven't heard it since it's release.   

Last night I listened to two releases from Jan Garabek/Bobo Stenson Quartet on ECM, Dansere (1976) and Witchi-Tao-To (1973).  The closing track on the latter, Desireless, is 20 minutes long and the best thing that ever happened to Garabek to these ears is Bobo Stenson, and Palle Danielson, and Jon Christenson.  It is a superb piece.  Danielson's instrument is beautifully recorded as his playing is profoundly good.  I just love that selection.  Stenson is amazing and very passionate and long, thankfully.  You can't just sample it, however, cause it takes a while for it to unfold.  It's one of those tunes that builds momentum.  But, you can buy it and I sure would recommend that jazz fans do.
I gotta temper down my enthusiasm on this some.  Here's the reason, I just don't have any appreciation for Jan Garabek.  I think he's overly dramatic and not much of an improvisor.  Bobo Stenson and his trio are very good on the other hand and I love them on the composition I spoke about and the lengthy one on Dansere.  But, Garabek is a bitter and uninteresting pill to me.

(lil footnote)  Tho, he is better, smoother and less acidic, on Dansere recorded two years later and his composition.  Thanks for your indulgence. 
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 05:57 am by jimdgoulding »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1066 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:33 pm »
Porgy & Bess
Miles Davis (Artist) | Format: Vinyl

ArthurDent

« Reply #1067 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:34 pm »

Soft Machine:  Bundles

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #1068 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:52 am »

mjosef

« Reply #1069 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:43 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Out-Loud/dp/B003U06H0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313167161&sr=8-1
New York drummer Nadav Snir-Zelniker assembles a trio of veteran performers for a recording fully immersed in the jazz tradition while always looking forward. The Israel-born Snir-Zelniker combines with pianist and native New Yorker Ted Rosenthal and a product of the Midwest, bassist Todd Coolman, as they bring singular perspectives to this new and engaging dialogue. With arrangements of classics like Isfahan, Blue Skies and Secret Love combined with inspired originals by Nadav and Rosenthal, the group adds an exciting new recording to the piano trio lexicon.
:thumb:

Nadav Snir-Zelniker Trio, Thinking Out Loud

ArthurDent

« Reply #1070 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm »

John Abercrombie: November   

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #1071 on: 13 Aug 2011, 01:09 am »

Samples

This is a gem... thanks for the tip!

mjosef

« Reply #1072 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:08 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Radif-Suite/dp/B003B8MVIC/ref=tmm_msc_title_0
This is an illuminating meeting between musicians who share similar cultural background and creative directions. Trumpeter Amir ElSaffar is an Iraqi-American whose work has fused elements of jazz and the maqam music of Iraq...Tenor saxophonist Hafez Modirzadeh is an older Iranian-American who has worked with jazz forms and Persian dastgah to develop his own tonal system that he dubs "chromodal," suggesting perhaps the "harmolodics" of Ornette Coleman, with whom Modirzadeh has played.
Working from traditions that include modal improvisation and untempered, microtonal pitches, the co-leaders present two extended suites here, "Radif-e Kayhan" by Modirzadeh and "Copper Suite" by ElSaffar, performed with the empathetic accompaniment of bassist Mark Dresser, whose bass will suddenly rise up to sing with the horns, and drummer Alex Cline, who can move from free jazz polyrhythms to ceremonial invocation to luminous cymbal washes that add a sense of timeless, lustrous reflection. Each suite moves through a sequence of melodies with group and solo improvisations and ever-changing moods. They're often executed with a rhythmic verve that combines a loose expressiveness with almost telepathic precision, invoking not only the early Coleman quartets, but more precisely Don Cherry's brilliant suites of the mid-'60s like "Complete Communion" and "Symphony for Improvisers."...http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=35829

Caught this group live at the recent Vision Jazz Festival, wonderful sounds.  :thumb:

Amir ElSaffar / Hafez Modirzadeh: Radif Suite

jjc1

« Reply #1073 on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:01 pm »

Samples

Thanks for the reminder. Have to listen thru BDP1. Excellent album.

neekomax

« Reply #1074 on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm »

Brad Mehldau Trio - Live (2008)

sweetspot

« Reply #1075 on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:31 pm »

Brad Mehldau Trio - Live (2008)
great album!!! :D

aragon63

« Reply #1076 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1077 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:05 am »
Thomasz Stanko...From the Green Hill

aragon63

« Reply #1078 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:06 am »

aragon63

« Reply #1079 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:52 am »