Hypex Electronics - Bruno Putzeys Lecture

PeteG

Re: Hypex Electronics - Bruno Putzeys Lecture
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:20 am »
Thanks, listening to Bruno Putzeys was a treat.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:27 am »

Fantastic listen and a neat find there. Also,that diy audio Ncore thread is chock full of his insights, if people here could actually be bothered to read it. Can't wait to see what else he blesses diy with.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2012, 10:16 am »
Thanks again Jason. Great find and very informative. It would have been great to have been at the lecture and then been able to listen to Bruno's new Mola-Mola right after it.
Bruno really put his neck out there for the class A amp community. I am sure that no matter how good the NC1200 is there will be some class A fan boys, press included, that will never admit parity with class A. IMHO. Please no flames.   

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:29 am »
Great stuff, thank you!  Am I to understand that Bruno is working or launching a preamp version using his technology?

kevinh

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
Great stuff, thank you!  Am I to understand that Bruno is working or launching a preamp version using his technology?

On the NCore thread over at diy audio he and Jan Peter alluded to a dsp/ dac pre amp module

playntheblues

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:26 pm »
Cool, are there any links. Or information on this module?

kevinh

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2012, 04:04 pm »
Cool, are there any links. Or information on this module?

This is the DSP unit that is under development:

http://hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=93

Thread from a person using the development unit (chrome translated it to English for me:

http://forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12486&hilit=dlcp

On the Hypex DSP over at diyaudio:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/164277-hypex-dsp-module-s.html

kevinh

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2012, 04:07 pm »
The comments by Bruno were very interesting.

I think his comments on the problems of designing a proper Class D amp spoke to the problem trying to mod the NCores in the hopes of improving them the PC boards were I would guess designed to overcome the RF and other issues used very sophisticated PC board layout and analysis tools and messing with the design will most likely not be helpful.

playntheblues

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2012, 04:08 pm »
Thank you kindly, I will read up on this  :thumb:

Andre2

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm »
thanks for sharing.  and the fellow has some sense of humor, as one can see on the footnote 3, of the ncore white paper, as he was referring to an equation that could be solved on the back of an evelope3

(...)

3One of those large brown ones that tend to contain mail-order
catalogues.

source:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

andy_c

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2012, 05:26 pm »
Thanks for the link to that paper, Andre.  I noticed it had a reference to his article, "The F-word or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback".  That article is available online at the web site of Jan Didden's Linear Audio publication here (PDF file).

Phil

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2012, 09:37 pm »
Thanks, Jason.  Very interesting indeed.

So, Bruno likes a challenge and has been willing to dedicate nearly 20 years to overcome the inherent problems.  Even in a cynical world, this kind of dedication should be applauded. 

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm »
The speech was most impressive.  I had to chuckle a couple of times, as it almost seemed Bruno had read the Class D vs. the rest thread here some time back.  He brought up all the challenges associated with Class D design, and addresssed them in an elegant manner. 

What I really found fascinating was his answers to the challenges to Class D design.  He basically stated that the “off the shelf” components were not of sufficient tolerances to achieve the desired results and measurements he was after, so he had had them made to order.  It was also very interesting about his comments regarding placement of components to obtain optimum performance.  Something off as little as a few millimeters can make the difference between excellent or poor performance.  I also applaud his approach to measurements, as it seems he looked at a lot of other parameters besides the basic ones the reviewers all flog us with.   Very interesting stuff, to say the least.

His lecture has piqued my interest in getting a pair of Ncores to listen to.  A couple of thoughts also come to mind:
1. Given how much research he puts into his designs, one would think that tweaking or modifying the basic amp would result in degradation, not an improvement.
2. With the tight tolerances, I wonder if the amp will maintain optimum performance as the unit ages (especially the caps).

cab

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm »
Something off as little as a few millimeters can make the difference between excellent or poor performance.

1. Given how much research he puts into his designs, one would think that tweaking or modifying the basic amp would result in degradation, not an improvement.
2. With the tight tolerances, I wonder if the amp will maintain optimum performance as the unit ages (especially the caps).

Not a few millimeters, one millimeter! If Bruno saw the photo one tweaker posted here of some caps he wired together to bypass some on the ncore, with the long leads, I bet he got a good laugh....

Yes, as a few people familiar with his work and the challenges of top flight class d design and performance have commented, improving the ncore in an objective fashion by switching components, adding circuitry, etc., is really not too likely....

serengetiplains

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:20 pm »
You people who mock others should ashamed of yourselves.

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:35 am »
I tried getting to the link on Bruno's lecture, but it says it is no longer active.  Does anyone have an updated link?

Thanks,

Mark

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm »
I tried getting to the link on Bruno's lecture, but it says it is no longer active.  Does anyone have an updated link?

Thanks,

Mark

Try here http://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/en_high_end_2012_high_end_facts_high_end_2011_lectures.html

Should be the second speech. 

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2012, 01:15 pm »
Super - thanks!  That's it!

Mark

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:15 am »
I would love to hear this interview but the link seems to no longer be valid.

Any help?

Thanks,

James