Super 3i Vs CAM

Sandals123

Super 3i Vs CAM
« on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:06 pm »
Hello everyone, first post on here. I had a pair of SAM several years ago but, due to room changes and temporary insanity, I sold them....

Fast forward to current set up. I have recently bought a Triode Labs SET that puts out 3.5 watts of musical bliss, with a Aikido preamp and a Bl Node 2i as source driving a pair of 3i. My room is 12*12 and is well dampened with furniture and bookshelves.

The 3i are amazing but can get a little "shout" if I turn up the volume. I am looking for feedback from the gurus here if I might get a li more by going to the XRS or maybe a pair of CAMS.

Random thoughts and musing welcomed.

Thanks
Alan

rar1

Re: Super 3i Vs CAM
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2020, 02:24 am »
The tendency of the Super 3i (narrow cabinet) to be a bit shouty on female vocals was why I sold them off some years ago.  Since them, I have purchased and use the Super 7MKII and the CAM (narrow cabinet) and am very pleased.  No shouty tendencies.   

Sandals123

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 02:33 am »
So, based on the idea that the 3i can seem shouty, would it stand to reason that the XRS may smooth that out with the wider baffle?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2020, 03:57 am »
I tried Alnico and never looked back.  Smooth high end, yet still detailed and defined. 

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2020, 04:06 am »
I never felt the 3xrs was shouty. I'm certain the wide baffle plays a role in that. However, now being a CAM owner of several years I will say that I think the CAMs may be the best all around, most versatile, speaker Omega makes. Not too big and don't require much space. They can be used with or without a sub. They are not particularly fussy about placement, but of course will reward you with careful setup (just like any speaker). They're wonderful speakers. Get them internally wired with ZenWave. :wink:

Sandals123

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2020, 04:08 am »
I tried Alnico and never looked back.  Smooth high end, yet still detailed and defined.

OK, so based on that, which models would you suggest for my set up?

Thanks
Alan

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:10 am »
The tendency of the Super 3i (narrow cabinet) to be a bit shouty on female vocals was why I sold them off some years ago.  Since them, I have purchased and use the Super 7MKII and the CAM (narrow cabinet) and am very pleased.  No shouty tendencies.   

Which Super 3i?  The old Hempcone or the current RS5?  Big difference.  The RS5 based Super 3i’s that I have had did not get shouty with the right upline gear and good room acoustics.  Ditto for the similar Super 3T.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:17 am »
Sandals123,
I do not suspect your Super 3i if they are RS5 based.  Your source (BS Node 2i) or room acoustics could be the problem, and/or maybe some tube rolling needed.  The Super 3i is a great speaker and defies it’s compact size.

That being said, if you are looking at moving up the Omega line, I concur with RDavidson about the CAMs.  They are a sensational speaker, and I am very happy with mine.

Sandals123

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:33 am »
Thanks Rob, I will investigate and see if I have a problem up line. I want to be clear, I love the 3i but, like many others here I have "a problem" in that I am looking for the next improvement (perceived or otherwise).. Lol. Maybe, just maybe, I should just shut up and listen to the magic that I already have...

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2020, 03:06 pm »
OK, so based on that, which models would you suggest for my set up?

Thanks
Alan

CAM/SAM/SAMHO, XRS.  The bigger the better, all else being equal.  Depends if you will have subs, which would allow for the smaller versions.  My room is considerably bigger than yours though, so I'm not sure what would do best in a 12x12 room.  If the drivers are the same, what impact would cabinet size have in relation to room volume and how close you sit?  I don't have a good answer for that.

.....Pete

jmolsberg

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2020, 04:01 pm »
if you haven't it's certainly a great idea to give Louis a call. after we spoke i emailed him a couple pics of my room with measurements. safe to say he nailed it for me!

seikosha

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:26 pm »
My experience is that the sound does warm up a bit as the cabinet gets bigger and wider.  Each Omega driver has it's own strengths and weaknesses as do any speakers from any brand.  The Alnicos are a bit smoother in much of the range where the RS5 can be a bit whispy.  However, I find that in the highs, the opposite can occur.  You just have to decide what trade offs you can find acceptable.

You did mention that it happens when you turn it up...you aren't hearing amplifier clipping are you?

I've got RS5's, 8's and Alnicos and I really do enjoy each of them for their unique strengths and prefer any of them to conventional speakers.

rar1

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2020, 10:41 am »
Hi Canada Rob -

Correct.  I was referring to the Hempcone speaker that was in use 10/ 15 years back.  They did get shouty, but I still loved the speakers and wished that I held on to them.  They got shouty even with good kit ... Prima Luna tube integrated & Rega Apollo CD player ... but that was also more than 10 years ago.  Fast forward to the Super 7s and the CAMs.  Awesome speakers.  I appreciate all the nuance that the CAMs bring to the table, but respect the way that Super 7s can rock out.  It would be hard to go wrong with either. 

My Super 7s and CAMs. 

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2020, 12:49 pm »
My experience is that the sound does warm up a bit as the cabinet gets bigger and wider.  Each Omega driver has it's own strengths and weaknesses as do any speakers from any brand.  The Alnicos are a bit smoother in much of the range where the RS5 can be a bit whispy.  However, I find that in the highs, the opposite can occur.  You just have to decide what trade offs you can find acceptable.

You did mention that it happens when you turn it up...you aren't hearing amplifier clipping are you?

I've got RS5's, 8's and Alnicos and I really do enjoy each of them for their unique strengths and prefer any of them to conventional speakers.

I agree 100%.  The Alnico driver has fuller midbass to lower midrange than the RS5.  The wide baffle of larger speakers or the CAM provide extra lower midrange support.  The RS5 has a superior top end.  I attribute this to the whizzer of the Alnico driver.  Some people can be sensitive to the top end.

At the end of the day, these full range drivers are compromises.  In reality, they are wide range midrange drivers that happen to provide great bass and great highs for what they are.  IMO, they are best used in a way that reinforces their strengths without trying to make them do mor than they should.

I also have Altec 414’s in 614 cabinets.  These 12” Alnico drivers still only go down to about 40-50 hz.  No matter how big an enclosure I put them in they will never produce prodigious bass.

For my money, the sweet spot with the Omega line are the single driver models in wide baffle cabinets.  The wide baffle reinforces the lower midrange.  If I were buying today it would be Super 3 Monitor with wide baffle, Super 3 XRS, or CAM. 

Sandals123

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:44 pm »
Thanks Roscoe, that gives me a good idea of what I might look at. I like the idea of the XRS because then there is no stands involved and the wider baffle and larger cabinet might add some smooth mid bass. On the other hand, the CAM look interesting and the Alnico driver sounds like a good fit too. So many decisions... Maybe I will have to get both! As I am on the west coast of Canada, I have to be careful of the cost because of the conversion rate for the Cdn/USD and I imagine shipping costs will be expensive too. Maybe I will watch for something on Canuck audiomart.

Thanks for your help.
Alan

rar1

« Reply #15 on: 29 Feb 2020, 01:08 am »
Hi Alan -

I wouldn't be putting much hope in the CDN/ USD conversion rate swinging your way anytime soon.  It has been 25% against you for 3 years now.

I love my Omegas, but not at a 25% premium plus expensive shipping.

Something to consider would be the Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend floor standers.

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

Zu Audio is based out of Utah.   

I like the Zu's as much as I like the Omegas.  Similar concept.  Your amp would work fine.  Shipping should be less.  Next set of new product is April 2nd.     

Rich

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 29 Feb 2020, 05:21 pm »
I live in Canada, and yes the US/CAD exchange rate has been high for years and doesn’t look like things will change any time soon, so if one is waiting for it to come down, one may be waiting in vain.  As far as Omega shipping costs go, I’ve gotten Omega shipments for years and always found the shipping cost very reasonable.  Coming to Canada they came by air and usually took about 3 days with the boxes in excellent condition.  Also take into account I live on the opposite side of the continent from Louis...and in another country.  :D

Sandals123

« Reply #17 on: 29 Feb 2020, 05:35 pm »
Thanks Rob, you are correct about the exchange rate... I will connect with the Man on see what we can work out. At this point I am thinking either the XRS or the CAM will be best for me.

Thanks
Alan

briguy_78

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2021, 10:52 pm »
Hi Alan, what did you end up going with? I am debating upgrading my super  3is to CAM or SAM and also live in Canada. Canada Rob, did you order directly from Omega and have it shipped to Canada or use a shipping service?