GR Reseach completed speakers on the website

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
GR Reseach completed speakers on the website
« on: 20 Feb 2020, 06:41 am »
Anybody use or heard those speakers?

Jaytor

Re: GR Reseach completed speakers on the website
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2020, 02:31 pm »
Which speakers are you referring to?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 03:54 pm »
Yes, the Carnegie CST-1 is an amazing speaker at a no brainer price.  :thumb:

There isn’t anything out there close to these in terms of performance for the money. These will compete with anything 4x more costly and then some. They are very balanced and detailed without sounding artificial. You just have to be okay with piano black.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:52 pm »
What do you compare it with?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2020, 06:58 pm »
What do you compare it with?

Use GR Research N3s in my upstairs bonus room (traded my old MoFi bookshelves you saw in my office when I lived in VA for them).  The (GR Research) website indicated this about the CST-1 is based off the N3 Kit.  If you just do the math and look at the cost of the kit (when it was sold) it was $519 with no enclosure.  The enclosure is probably more costly to build (the ones I got also have no rez in it which is probably another $120).  So it's a great value for the money.  Carnegie also exhibited the CST-1s at the 2011 Capital Audiofest (https://www.stereophile.com/node?page=1070) and if you note the pic a bit down the page you can see that the list price as as indicated on the GR Research website in 2011 (9 years back).  So I can tell you they are a very nice value for the money.  Below is a pic of my N3s from about 4 years ago (a bit after I got them).  I don't use that system tons, but everyone who has heard them has liked them.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:45 pm »
Can you PM pics?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:27 pm »
Can you PM pics?

I don't believe you can put pics in a PM.  The GR Research website has a general pic of an N3 - http://gr-research.com/n3.aspx  (I don't have pics other than the one in my gallery as I'll use that upstairs system a couple of times/year).   If you are looking for used N3s, they don't come up often but hifishark.com would be a good place to look (unless someone has boxes, they would be extra expensive to ship and as noted on the GR Research site you can't even have the cabinets made for the $899 selling price of the CST-1s so that might be the best way to go).  On occasion, i do look at hifishark for a variety of things, including in some cases a GR Research N3S (like here - http://gr-research.com/n3-1.aspx) as I could rotate those N3s.  I still have the B&W P6s (I had in the basement when I lived in VA) that I've owned forever (got them new) and I could if I wanted move the GR Research speakers to a HT/2channel system (with Sherbourn preamp and Mivera amp) I have downstairs (it's basically my 4K HT theater and probably in a couple of months I'll get a 65 inch UHD TV and a new UHD player and move the 55 inch inch UHD TV and Oppo 203 upstairs where the GR Research speakers are).  I traded the MoFi OML-1 speakers as I needed better stands for them (the ones I was using were more appropriate for a smaller bookshelf) and the guy who traded me the GR Research speaker for them wanted smaller speakers (so it was a win win situation as good stands would not be cheap)/

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:44 pm »

Rocket Ronny

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:22 pm »
Yes, you  can PM images so long as you know the  image url (from say your gallery).  Just insert the URL into an open /closing  image tag by  hand as there is no   insert image  button

jay