Grayhill Selector Switch?

wdi

• know just enough to be dangerous
Grayhill Selector Switch?
« on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:05 pm »
Getting ready to place an order to Digi-Key to get ready for a Clarinet build and was wondering what people thought of the Grayhill selector switch. Does it exhibit contact bounce?

If it is not a problem, great! I will go with it. But just wondered if the $19 should be going toward a better switch.

wdi

Re: Grayhill Selector Switch?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:49 pm »
OK, I guess no news is good news. I am going with the Grayhill with the lugs (GH7102-ND) instead of pins though so that I can position it and the volume control to where they can be replaced with something later without having to redrill the faceplate.

Yoda

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2011, 02:13 am »
Haven't found it to be a problem.  Matt

bregez

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:32 am »
I haven't noticed bounce.  I am actually impressed by the Grayhill build quality.  It does take a while to figure out where 7:30 is on the selector for placement of the limit pins.  Make sure your pins are in the correct place before you place the "retaining decal". 

wdi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:19 am »
OK, thanks for the responses.

My current pre-amp makes a loud pop every time I move the selector on it, which is why I raised the question on the Grayhill.

I still think that I will order the Grayhill with the lugs. I will likely replace the volume pot with a stepped attenuator, which means I will need to drill lower on the faceplate and would like the knobs to line up. I just plan to bypass the balance.

bregez

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2011, 03:12 am »
which means I will need to drill lower on the faceplate and would like the knobs to line up. I just plan to bypass the balance.

If you are using alternative RCA jacks, you may want to drill lower on the back plate also.  I am using the alternative jacks ( http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-2110 ) with the stock hole placement and it is tight.  I had to make some modifications to the RCA plastic isolation washers for them to fit.

wdi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:46 pm »
OK, thanks for the reminder. Interesting link too.

schubert

• I'm the one on the right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:45 am »
I used the Grayhill with lugs on the Clarinet I built for my brother and it works great.  I plan on using it in the unit I'm planning for myself as well.