More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #520 on: 7 Dec 2020, 12:01 am »
I've picked up a used Topping D50 that should arrive in a week or so.  Anyone used a phone external battery to drive something like this?  Any disadvantages?

I'll let you know tomorrow, I finally found mine and it's charging up now.  From everyone reviewing the E30, which has the same power set up as the D50, the order of preference was laptop the worst, phone charger wall wart better, power bank much better, dedicated PS like the iFi wall wart the best.  I have a phone charger on it now.

viggen

« Reply #521 on: 7 Dec 2020, 01:35 am »
I bet the difference between the D30 and E30 in SQ would end up being an exercise in hair splitting. The E30 display is a great feature and I've learned to appreciate it with the DX3 Pro.

They sound very different in my system.  D50 is typical sabre sound without the mid high bump.  E30 sounds more similar to my D90 MQA but less of everything.  Basically, E30 is smoother but could be considered more boring than the D50.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #522 on: 7 Dec 2020, 01:42 am »
They are different beast for sure, but Leti was referring to the power circuitry.  I'm eager to hear what he has to say about using a battery.

TomS

« Reply #523 on: 7 Dec 2020, 01:51 am »
I'll let you know tomorrow, I finally found mine and it's charging up now.  From everyone reviewing the E30, which has the same power set up as the D50, the order of preference was laptop the worst, phone charger wall wart better, power bank much better, dedicated PS like the iFi wall wart the best.  I have a phone charger on it now.
I bought a Mean Well PS for my D50s and it sounds pretty good in my desktop setup.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #524 on: 7 Dec 2020, 10:43 am »
They sound very different in my system.  D50 is typical sabre sound without the mid high bump.  E30 sounds more similar to my D90 MQA but less of everything.  Basically, E30 is smoother but could be considered more boring than the D50.

I was referring to the D30 vs the E30 not the D50.

Stercom

« Reply #525 on: 7 Dec 2020, 01:45 pm »
After reading through this thread I just ordered a Topping E30 to use with my Bluesound Node 2i. Thanks for the good commentary everyone.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #526 on: 7 Dec 2020, 06:43 pm »
They are different beast for sure, but Leti was referring to the power circuitry.  I'm eager to hear what he has to say about using a battery.

The brand is Jockery, model Giant+, 12,000mAh batteries outputting 5V/2.1A.  It also has a 1A output that I didn't try.  The phone charger it replaced was the regular 5V/1A unit.  Typical improvements when you improve your power, tighter bass, less background hash giving a better image.  Not dramatic, but easily noticable.  What was very interesting was that all this was from running pure battery only, when I attached the charging usb cable to the power brick everything collapsed back to how it sounded with the wall wart charger.  Maybe even a little worse because I was happy with just the phone charger and I definitely didn't like it with the brick on the charger.  I know nothing of the circuitry in these power bricks, do they go direct if the unit is plugged in?

shadowlight

« Reply #527 on: 13 Dec 2020, 03:04 am »
I cannot seem to remember the dac that had built in battery that you could hook up to phone for portable use.  Anyone remember the name?

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #528 on: 15 Dec 2020, 08:39 pm »
I cannot seem to remember the dac that had built in battery that you could hook up to phone for portable use.  Anyone remember the name?
Maybe the Sabaj DA3? They may have an updated model by now, not sure though. Some of the other Chi-fi brands have similar products too, like SMSL and maybe Topping.

wushuliu

« Reply #529 on: 15 Dec 2020, 08:43 pm »

I believe that was the Topping NX4...

shadowlight

« Reply #530 on: 16 Dec 2020, 03:07 am »
I believe that was the Topping NX4...

Thank you.

S Clark

« Reply #531 on: 2 Jan 2021, 08:14 pm »
Well, to answer the question if you can power a Topping 50 dac with a phone external battery,  YES.  It works fine.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #532 on: 3 Jan 2021, 01:12 pm »
Well, to answer the question if you can power a Topping 50 dac with a phone external battery,  YES.  It works fine.

Did you notice any improvement using the battery pack vs the standard 5v 1A wall supply?

S Clark

« Reply #533 on: 3 Jan 2021, 02:15 pm »
Just got it yesterday, so I haven't compared yet. I'll report back in a day or so. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #534 on: 21 Jan 2021, 06:56 pm »
Promises, promises.

NoDisco

« Reply #535 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:30 am »
So I might be interested in replacing my bel canto 1.7 of roughly 9 years. I don’t stream though. I ve been looking at the Musical paradise, but I’m not sure I wanna pony up 2k right now. Which topping might work, or are there others that rival the topping?

S Clark

« Reply #536 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:44 am »
Promises, promises.
Yep, running late as usual.
So the main difference between batteries and a wall wart were... not much.  Seriously don't think I could pick one out blind.

NoDisco

« Reply #537 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:52 am »
Just tried it...going back to the wall socket ASAP.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #538 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm »
So I might be interested in replacing my bel canto 1.7 of roughly 9 years. I don’t stream though. I ve been looking at the Musical paradise, but I’m not sure I wanna pony up 2k right now. Which topping might work, or are there others that rival the topping?

Since this is the Cheap and Cheerful circle DACs over around $350 wouldn't be considered.  We're pretty flexible on pricing guidelines 'cause the main idea is having fun with the super low end.  But to your question we did venture into the top of the Topping line (ha ha) using the new Sabre ESS chips and there was effusive praise for the unit.  It's around $600, can't remember the exact model number, D50 or D90?  Anyway, it's the one with dual ESS 9038 chips, and every owner recommend it.  Also note with ChiFi that very, very similar architecture is available from several different brands.  Obviously oem factories are using off the shelf boards in different cases, one reason this performance is so cheap.  QC/QA also takes a back seat compared to Western companies, but again, you pay for that.  I've been overjoyed with my little E30, others have reported returned units.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #539 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:32 pm »
Yep, running late as usual.
So the main difference between batteries and a wall wart were... not much.  Seriously don't think I could pick one out blind.

I wonder how different units sound.  I know nothing about battery pack chargers, but when I looked at the ones Walmart offered they appeared to be much lighter weight and cheaper built that the one I have, which was a gift from years ago.  Mine has two outlets, a 2.1A fast charger and the standard 1A, I use the higher power outlet of course.  Anyone know anything about these battery chargers?