More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

audio.bill

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #480 on: 25 Jan 2020, 02:09 pm »
Bel Canto DAC 3.7: with external power supply (EPS) AND upgraded reference umbilical cord from KEF.

I can attest to the DAC 3.7, it is my reference DAC. This DAC retailed for $6k alone, plus the KEF umbilical cord = $400.
A couple of corrections... the upgraded power cable is called the Bel Canto REF and has no connection to KEF. The upgraded linear power supply is the VBL, earlier versions were VBS.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #481 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:20 pm »
It doesn't really matter, it's way over C&C guidelines and shouldn't have been brought up anyway.

FreddyJ

« Reply #482 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:14 pm »
Can you point me to some of these reviewers who do similar reviews without the bias?

I found quite a few just by searching on YouTube and if you fancy another forum, there's some on Head-Fi too so I'm told.

Re reviewers - I guess everyone has their own style. I haven't really been paying attention much last couple of years but from what I can see now, the world is a wash with audio reviewers - some trying to stand out too much it seems - and some will be better than others. The way I see it though, these guys are all good for research but you really need to try these units for yourself - it what's you like that counts. These guys are just guidlines so it's not good getting to angsty about them.

zek

« Reply #483 on: 27 Jan 2020, 06:12 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #484 on: 27 Jan 2020, 06:34 pm »
Something that might be interesting ...
https://www.aurisaudio.shop/collections/digital/products/earmen-donald-dac

Uses the new Cirrus chips. I'd be curious how it sounds. I have a soft spot for Cirrus dacs like CS4398 (e.g. Micromega MyDac).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #485 on: 1 Feb 2020, 03:47 pm »
A new portable amp/DAC combo for $149 with MQA and balanced output.

https://majorhifi.com/ifi-announces-hip-dac-and-yes-it-supports-mqa/#

zek

« Reply #486 on: 8 Feb 2020, 09:23 pm »
...I'd be curious how it sounds...
First review, not so optimistic. :?
https://majorhifi.com/earmen-donald-dac-review/

wushuliu

« Reply #487 on: 9 Feb 2020, 01:53 am »
First review, not so optimistic. :?
https://majorhifi.com/earmen-donald-dac-review/

Hm, he ran it through the ifi as a pre then switched to the ifi on its own? That by itself seems problematic for a comparison. Of course the ifi will sound better. I don't know how the ifi stands as a preamp, but I doubt that's an optimal purpose for it.

Also the donald would have to be a pretty poor dac to have audible harmonic distortion. Our tolerance for harmonic distortion is pretty high. So either the distortion is dominant 3rd harmonic or higher or the dac is badly designed (very possible).

Hopefully there will be some other reviews.

zek

« Reply #488 on: 17 Feb 2020, 10:22 pm »

kbuzz3

« Reply #489 on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:19 pm »
so in the slighlity more than peanuts category, i have been fooling around with a new topping e30 dac.  I am very impressed. It is incredibly linear and does not emphasize any part of the sound spectrum in a very good way. Impressive clarity for 130 bucks......

Charles Calkins

« Reply #490 on: 8 Apr 2020, 06:16 pm »
so in the slighlity more than peanuts category, i have been fooling around with a new topping e30 dac.  I am very impressed. It is incredibly linear and does not emphasize any part of the sound spectrum in a very good way. Impressive clarity for 130 bucks......

kbuzz3
            I agree with you 100% not a bad Dac for $130. I have one and use it in my patio system.

Cheers
                                                                Charlie

zek

« Reply #491 on: 8 Apr 2020, 06:55 pm »

Charles Calkins

« Reply #492 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:56 pm »
Have you noticed any problems like this guy?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/post-368465
   That guy seems to have the Dac hooked up to a PC. Mine is hooked up to a stereo system.
    He might be using the wrong Dac.

zek

« Reply #493 on: 9 Apr 2020, 02:48 pm »
   .... Mine is hooked up to a stereo system....
What do you mean? :o

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #494 on: 9 Apr 2020, 04:22 pm »
What do you mean? :o

I think he means he's listening to music rather than measuring.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #495 on: 9 Apr 2020, 04:56 pm »

You got that right. I listen to music maybe 10 hours a day. Nothing like kicking back and listening to tunes in the patio.
    and barbecuing a nice steak. Weather permitting. I know nothing about computers. Don't understand using a PC for music.
   But I have to have one so I can buy tickets for events that are on my bucket list.

zek

« Reply #496 on: 9 Apr 2020, 07:22 pm »
It is not a matter of measurement but what is connected to the DAC.

Soren Kierkegaard

« Reply #497 on: 2 Jun 2020, 01:57 pm »
This might have been asked before but I'm new. Does cable quality matter that much with USB DAC's? I mean the really short cables between the DAC and the phone or computer?

karnana

« Reply #498 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:51 am »
This might have been asked before but I'm new. Does cable quality matter that much with USB DAC's? I mean the really short cables between the DAC and the phone or computer?
People say they do. I never could tell but expensive ones do last longer. Headphone cables %100 matters (especially if you have something super cheap like Superlux).

Make sure you use ifi isilencer(s) and its ilk with USB. I made my mine mentioned before. They still work flawlessly and make a good difference.

karnana

« Reply #499 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:52 am »
Qudelix started their presale. $109 I think. I wonder if it will beat Btr5.

Also a software called "Wavelet" for android is a must have eq for peanut headphone dacs for phones.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pittvandewitt.wavelet&hl=en_US

Without root, you can eq even Spotify with headphone presets. Pretty sweet.