'No Country for Old Men'

Bigfish

'No Country for Old Men'
« on: 24 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm »
My son and I watched 'No Country for Old Men' this afternoon.  The acting was excellent, especially from the guy who played the killer.  This is not your typical movie but it is mostly believable (except for the silenced shotgun).  We both gave the movie 8 out of 10 stars.

Ken

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: 'No Country for Old Men'
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2007, 12:17 am »
Yup, a fine 'thriller'.  Jones is EXCELLENT as the tired, aging sheriff, as is Javier Bardem as the supremely evil assasin.  'Tis an interesting story VERY well done.

As I've written in another thread, Jones deserves several best-actor awards for his work in 2007 in 'In The Valley of Elah' and 'No Country...'.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:30 am »
Have yet to see this but will soon.  I did see Coen brothers "Miller's Crossing" for about the fifth time today on cable.  Bloody note perfect movie.  I love the way the Coen brothers reveal things.  They are just so clever.  In "Blood Simple" there is irony to the max.  While they reveal things to you, the audience, they never do the the characters.  Don't know of another movie quite like it.  I did see Javier Bardem in "The Dancer Upstairs" and knew along with the Coen brothers, it would appear, that this guy was going to be an international star.  I can recommend that movie, too.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2007, 04:23 am »
Coen brothers are amazing. Miller's Crossing had a bad scene in it where some guy guns down a fellow in a window, it was just stupid.

However they always have stuff in it or things represent something. In The Hudsucker Proxy father time fights father death, stuff like that is great.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2007, 05:37 am »
That scene was tongue in cheek, don't ya think?

gary

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2007, 02:59 am »
After the heinous turd that was the Ladykillers I had given up on the Cohen brothers, but they proved me wrong with this latest one. This is an absolute must-see IMO, I can guarantee that anyone who liked Blood Simple will love this one. It's right up there with their best films.

Gary

honesthoff

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2007, 12:17 pm »
No one really gets McCarthy right on film, but I am looking forward to seeing this.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2007, 10:02 pm »
I think it was a tad slow....

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2007, 10:15 pm »
I'm looking forward to this film, have heard it's quite good.

John

Toka

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2007, 06:03 am »
Just saw this today...LOVED it! Really, really well done. Everything I wanted and more.

Cacophonix

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2007, 06:26 am »
Saw the movie today ... Great movie. Loved the way things built up.
Though sub titles would've made for easier viewing  :lol:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2007, 07:14 am »
Well, this movie is superb.
One of the best of the year for me for sure.
Javier Bardem flat out deserves some critical acclaim for this role.  About as menacing a character as I've seen since Hannibal Lector.  I want no part of this guy, no part.  And to think the  last time I saw Javier Bardem he played a homosexual in "The Sea Inside", I did not know he had this kind of terror in his make up.  He absolutey played ths character to perfection, to look at him too long scares me. Tense, deliberate thriller.

Highly recommended

launche

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:09 pm »
Well, this movie is superb.
One of the best of the year for me for sure.
Javier Bardem flat out deserves some critical acclaim for this role.  About as menacing a character as I've seen since Hannibal Lector.  I want no part of this guy, no part.  And to think the  last time I saw Javier Bardem he played a homosexual in "The Sea Inside", I did not know he had this kind of terror in his make up.  He absolutey played ths character to perfection, to look at him too long scares me. Tense, deliberate thriller.

Highly recommended

And to think the  last time I saw Javier Bardem he played a homosexual poet in "The Sea Inside", I did not know he had this kind of terror in his make up.

I left out the "poet" part in my last post, I needed to correct that as what I meant to convey was the extreme differences and range of characters Bardem can convincingly play.  From ultra sensitive, artistic and compassionate to a stone face pyschotic killer.

See both movies and you'll absolutely get what I mean.

Check "No Country For Old Men" out, well worth your movie dollar.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2007, 06:44 pm »
Yo, Joey Bags!  What up?  Thanks, all,  I saw No Country For Old Men last night. After you guys see this, it may be a couple of days before you want to see another flick tho, rent The Dancer Upstairs. This features Javier Bardem in a totally different role- he plays a good guy in this and he so obviously has something going on that you can see why the Coen bros were fixated on getting him. He has a real easy manner about him in this and I suspect women adore this guy. John Malkovich directs and it's very good. But, what made the Coen bros think Bardem could do their guy?? They know their own strengths, I suspect.

I love the way the Coen bros let their audience unravel what's goin on. This is a neat trick in Blood Simple too, the Coen bros first movie for those of you who don't know and there has never been anything quite like it in my movie days. No Country is pure existentialism. The good guys don't win in this. No sir. Life is hard in this mofo and while most of the characters are motivated by understandable things, the central character is, well, you be the judge. The good ole boys comment on the decay of their world often. Tommy Lee is just mystified and disappointed, I think, the proverbial man in the middle. Only the bad guy and the protagonist's wife seem content. Not that there is any rest for them.

This is outstanding craft as the Coen bros are famous for and based on a book that I haven't read so my comments are just about the movie. Grim, indeed.

launche

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:32 pm »
Buy Jim a box of nails for Christmas because the man knows how to swing the proverbial hammer.

I've passed on "The Dancer Upstairs" many times but I'll give a a look at the next opportunity.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:21 am »
I saw the movie two days ago and want to see it again.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Josh Brolin's part. So understated: world weary and sly at the same time and all wrapped up in this loner of a character driven to take advantage of what befell him. I guess its easy to overlook it what with Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, and the Scottish lady who played Josh's wife characters all perfectly cast. Never has menace had the vehicle of Javier's talent. I'd hate to meet him. Anywhere. He can have my parking spot. And, as usual, Tommy Lee gave such righteous dignity as a man who had seen too much, albeit after the fact, and having never seen the killer (though he KNEW he was behind that door and that he HAD to go through it), he had to throw in his hat and call it quits. Was it me or was he visibly shaking as he explained his dreams to his girl about his father waiting for him, in the dark, at the next campfire?
A wonderful movie.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2007, 05:19 pm by nonoise »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2007, 08:02 pm »
Nonoise, nice job.  That door . . do you mean the door to the room or the door that seperated them in the room?  I thought he quit because he failed to do what he said he would (and was overwhelmed by the evil) but are you implying that it was because he didn't want to go thru THAT door?  Agreed, it's a rib stickin good movie. 

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2007, 01:07 am »
Jimdgoulding:

I did mean the door that separated them. He did what he promised being the man that he is. He couldn't do otherwise.  But overwhelmed he was by the evil he had witnessed so far. To come so close to a face to face with such supreme evil was, I believe, his tipping point. Seeing that unhinged window lock, he knew he had just been spared something horrible.
Yes, rib stickin good enough to see again.

nonoise

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2007, 02:34 am »
I'm excited to see this movie but can't bring myself to venture into the theatre to do it. This will be a immediate purchase for me on video. I've read that Javier Bardem(Sp?) is outstanding.

Who wrote this movie?

Mark

ooheadsoo

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:15 am »
I don't think it's a great as the critics say, but it's definitely worth watching multiple times.

Dorokusai, unless you get a really big screen and watch it in HD or bluray, it's worth the trip to the theater.  Beautiful cinematography.