It's almost here!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
It's almost here!
« on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:38 am »
LotR: 2T's will be out next week!  Is anyone else here almost wetting themself?  Uh, er, is that too much info? :oops:  :lol:

bubba966

Re: It's almost here!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2003, 06:02 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
LotR: 2T's will be out next week!

Not for me it isn't... :wink: :lol:

I'm going to be picking my copy up on Thursday. :mrgreen: While the DVD-R's of the academy screener I saw were actually pretty good (and in DD as well), I had no interest in accquiring a copy. I'd rather have the real deal.

PeteG

It's almost here!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2003, 07:53 am »
Is anyone else here almost wetting themself?

:mrgreen:

bob82274

It's almost here!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2003, 12:11 pm »
I will be picking up a copy after class on tuesday.  Also will be picking up a copy of Simpsons Season 3.

JoshK

It's almost here!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2003, 04:22 pm »
Without TV I didn't even know it was coming out.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
It's almost here!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2003, 06:31 pm »
Wal Mart has a huge display right up by the front door! :lol:   I know what you mean about TV; I haven't had the tv on 2 hrs in the  last month (except to watch a DVD).

I usually watch the up & coming section at Amazon.com.

bubba966

It's almost here!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2003, 11:29 pm »
So, I just picked up my copy. :mrgreen:

Question being, do I watch the 10 minute preview of ROTK or not? :tempted: And do I look at the preview for the extended cut release of TTT? :scratch:

I usually don't care to have things spoiled for me. But I recall watching the 10 minute preview of TTT on the first FOTR release. And I still highly enjoyed TTT the first time in the theater. So maybe it won't be so bad to watch the 10 minute preview of ROTK...

bob82274

It's almost here!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2003, 11:42 pm »
I wouldn't do it personally.  I even avoid trailers in movies as they can ruin things for me.  I don't mind seeing them once and also teaser trailers are cool.  But a 10 min preview is not something that I should watch.  Im was one of those kids that wouldn't go looking for christmas presents not because I was a good kid (which i was) but because I enjoyed the surprise christmas morning.  To me that was a lot more fun.

TheeeChosenOne

It's almost here!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2003, 07:09 am »
Quote from: bob82274
I wouldn't do it personally.  I even avoid trailers in movies as they can ruin things for me.  I don't mind seeing them once and also teaser trailers are cool.  But a 10 min preview is not something that I should watch.  Im was one of those kids that wouldn't go looking for christmas presents not because I was a good kid (which i was) but because I enjoyed the surprise christmas morning.  To me that was a lot more fun.

Trailers are made to draw the audience.  Thus, the juiciest clips are shown.  It can really spoil a movie--especially comedies.   :roll:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
It's almost here!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2003, 01:40 am »
Well, uh, what can they "spoil" with LotRs?  The books are a hundred years old!  No one can be too surpised, can they? :lol:

I'm a sucker for trailers.  I always go to the theater early to make sure I catch all the previews.  Oddly enough, though, trailers/adds tacked on to the beginning of a DVD drives me crazy! :evil:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
It's almost here!
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2003, 04:39 am »
Recently saw a great little action movie called "Fulltime Killer" and one of the protagonists compared trailers to life flashing before your eyes when you die.  "Even a bad movie can have a good trailer".  I love trailers, I hate getting to the theater late & missing them.  I will definitely be watching the RotK trailer. . .

nathanm

It's almost here!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2003, 08:18 pm »
The extended version will be the only one truly worth watching when it comes out.  Not that I haven't pre-ordered the theater cut myself, :oops: but really, the extended version will make the theatrical release unnecessary.  Two Towers felt truncated even watching it the first time in the theater. :(

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
It's almost here!
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2003, 04:20 am »
Yeah, the bastards!  I know there'll be a longer version, but I'm just too damned impatient to wait.  I'll buy it twice and I won't even bitch about it.

nathanm

It's almost here!
« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2003, 04:38 pm »
The thing is, Fellowship set a precedent for the viewers, so now we know the first cut will be the movie-exec-ordained-don't-break-their-ass-in-the-theater-seat compromised version and that we'll have to wait for the "real thing".  I wonder if this film will cause similar effects in the future and the marketing departments will get it in their heads that the public is so stupid they'll wanna buy two copies of the same movie.  What a marketing wet dream!  "Give 'em the hacked up version first, then sell them the real cut later - they'll buy it twice! Muwhahaha!"

I suppose this is already done with DVDs that have extra stuff on them, but I much prefer the way it was done with this movie with the extra scenes being part of the whole, not some add-on.  But this is really a special case scenario, as these books have so much more stuff in them than your average made-for-the-screen script; so naturally there is more material that can easily be added.  Like the Old Forest... *sniff*  Apparently there's more Treebeard stuff so I'm glad.  Too bad about his voice though - bad idea.  Certainly there must be a dozen other deep-voiced British actors who could've done it better than uh, Gimli (?). :(

bob82274

It's almost here!
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2003, 08:12 pm »
I too am joining the ranks of buying both copys but I just saw some good news for those of us who fall under the "can't-break-their-ass-in-the-theater-seat" group.  New Line will be releasing the FOTR and TT extended cuts in December in the theatre.  In addition to that they will be playing all three movies back-to-back-to-back starting on Dec 16th and on through the night to the 17th.  Woo Hoo!   :mrgreen:

bubba966

It's almost here!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2003, 07:36 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
but I'm just too damned impatient to wait.

You're too impatient to wait? :lol: I bought it last week for $25 because I'm too damn impatient to wait until street when I could pick it up at BB for $15 :!:

Unfortunately most of the extras on the disc are blah. (yes, I ended up watching most of them last Thursday) The ROTK segment is mostly a making of. Interesting that Jackson is shown editing the movie on a Plasma. The segment for the extended version was ok. But again, more of a making of type thing. Sean Astin's little short film isn't worth your time. Clearly just a love letter to his GF. I've not bothered with the making of his short yet. And the "Gollum's Song" video wasn't terribly interesting either.

They must be saving all of the good stuff for the extended cut release.

And it's interesting to note that TTT isn't cranked up as loud as FOTR was. It seems to be about 5 dB quieter than FOTR was. :scratch: