Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #160 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:09 pm »
Yes, Muddy Waters' Folk Singer is certainly a sonic and musical A+ list pick.  The good news is that it is one of most widely available hirez recordings, too, with Classic DAD 24/96, vinyl, SACD and the even slightly more resolving and musical Classic HDAD (24/192 DVD-Audio side).  The DAD and HDAD  can be ripped to hard disc, using certain tools (DVDAExplorer for MLP stuff up to 24/192, and DVD Audio Extractor for PCM up to 24/96).  There are many DACs today that can read 24/96, fewer that read native 24/192, and the majority that are 16/44 (some with upsampling, but that's another topic for another thread.. :) ).  As George pointed out, check your DAC for it's resolution, and check your source and signal path for its compatibility (i.e native USB is often relegated to only 16/44, if no proprietary drivers or asnychronous comms like Gordon's Wavelength or Ayre archtitecture, or Steve Nugent's nice USB implementations have been involved).

George, where is it available as a hirez download though?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #161 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:31 pm »
Yes, Muddy Waters' Folk Singer is certainly a sonic and musical A+ list pick.  The good news is that it is one of most widely available hirez recordings, too, with Classic DAD 24/96, vinyl, SACD and the even slightly more resolving and musical Classic HDAD (24/192 DVD-Audio side).  The DAD and HDAD  can be ripped to hard disc, using certain tools (DVDAExplorer for MLP stuff up to 24/192, and DVD Audio Extractor for PCM up to 24/96).  There are many DACs today that can read 24/96, fewer that read native 24/192, and the majority that are 16/44 (some with upsampling, but that's another topic for another thread.. :) ).  As George pointed out, check your DAC for it's resolution, and check your source and signal path for its compatibility (i.e native USB is often relegated to only 16/44, if no proprietary drivers or asnychronous comms like Gordon's Wavelength or Ayre archtitecture, or Steve Nugent's nice USB implementations have been involved).

George, where is it available as a hirez download though?

Ted,

I just realized that I made a mistake and didn't download "Folk Singer", but rather extracted it from a DVD Audio - sorry about that.

The DVD-A is widely available and easily obtainable.

Here is one example:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74915

George

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #162 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:51 pm »
I have owned the Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" CD from Mobile Fidelity for years. I'm scratchin' my head. While the performance is outstanding, the tape hiss and cheesy spring reverb overload keep this from being a first order audiophile recording by a long shot. Maybe the hi-rez versions have somehow dispensed with those artifacts from the master tape. Sorry I can't join in on the chorus of Halleyuyas on this one.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #163 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm »
How about the two disc CD: Lyle Lovett "Step Inside This House" from a sound quality standpoint?  aa

Bob

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #164 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm »
How about the two disc CD: Lyle Lovett "Step Inside This House" from a sound quality standpoint?  aa

Bob

Is this directed at me? Have never been a fan of Mr. Lovett, so I don't own any of his CDs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #165 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:34 pm »
This was directed at Alex. You know, the guys who's thread we've destroyed.  :lol:

Actually, I've very much disliked Lyle Lovett for a couple decades. Not sure what "clicked" several months ago, but now I listen to him quite often.
Give him another shot. If you'd like specific track recommendations, I can do that.

Bob

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #166 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:41 pm »

Bob

I think that Step Inside This House has excellent sound quality. In fact, most of Lyle Lovett's cds are way above average in SQ.

-Roy

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #167 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:49 pm »
Yes Roy, I'd agree.
Lyle has a very diverse discography. It ranges from steel guitar, pickin', whiny, country (not for me), to Blues, to some of these lesser known genres I can't really pin down to an exact definitive "sound". It's quite possible those who don't like him may not have heard on of his genres that are their style. I'm sure that's why I didn't like him for so many years, I just wasn't exposed to enough of it to find the right ones.
Of the several CDs of his I have, the SQ is definitely above average. I'd give a bit of a nod to "Step Inside This House" by a bit of a margin though.
"Joshua Judges Ruth" is very very good as well. There's a couple songs on that one that pop up on various DEMO discs from time to time.

Bob

p.s. I like Muddy Waters, but haven't heard anything that I can stand to listen to. It all sounds horrible from a quality standpoint.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #168 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm »
Bob,

Church on Joshua Judges Ruth with the choir backing is a good demo cut.

-Roy

p.s.   I think that Lyle Lovett has incredible amount of talent. He has an excellent voice and can match most any song writer in whatever genre he chooses.

low.pfile

« Reply #169 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:25 pm »
For you 80's fans.

I listened to Tears for Fears - The Hurting last night and was very impressed by the recording. This is a very somber album with stark vocals and minimal instrumentation. The vocals come out of a very deep background and the guitars and drums are very clear.

I have the Mercury CD reissue from the UK released in 1999. That replaced my original release 1983 cassette.  After listening I ordered the vinyl LP . We'll see how that sounds.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #170 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:48 pm »
Church on Joshua Judges Ruth with the choir backing is a good demo cut.
Yea it is, as is "North Dakota". The silence between the notes is dead quiet.

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #171 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:37 am »
sorry double post!!
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #172 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:38 am »
Hello,

Thanks to all for the new recommendations!!

The original thread was started by me, to help expand my awareness of really well recorded 2 ch cd's that I could play on my new SongTowers...those cds that are of really good quality....

As I said in the first post:

"Ok,

I  know there are bits and pieces of great music in many threads, but I would like to see a thread that has references to really great recordings that you all have experienced. The kind you play to show off your Song Towers....and for that matter any of the Salk or other speakers.

Yes I have a hidden agenda here, I am a few weeks away (fingers crossed) from taking delivery of a new pair of SongTowers..and want to try some new stuff!!

I have hundreds of CD's and have some favorites I will share as well.

I am not a snobby type of person and dont care if its Jazz, Rock or Classical....

I am looking more towards the traditional 2 cd stereo cd's....the ones that are really well produced, mixed  and have great dynamic range..

So I will start it off with a few of my favorites:

Richard Souther's "Cross Currents."
Year Released: 1990.

Track 5 : Mary's Question and the transistion into Track 6: High Tide.

The entire cd is very well recorded and really shines in my humble opinion. I believe its classified as "New Age". I very much like the entire CD and it has many low to high transitions, synths, snappy sounds and just a great all around demo CD.

Ok thats one....I will add many more over the life of this thread!

Alex"

So as long as we keep to this discussion and recommendations this is great, if we digress a little either side of this topic thats fine too....I never want this to become so strait laced like many other threads or BBS or forums that we scold people for being a bit off base...

The intent is to share the wealth about those really good recordings you are aware of ...I do not like all the cd's mentioned in the thread well recorded or not..just because of my personal tastes...but thats fine....there maybe some that will like the material and we all win!!

I got a really nice care package from some of you out there that has been a blessing in disguise...and my horizans have been widely expanded. Thanks to those!! You know who you are!!   aa

So back to saving for the next round of cd's!!!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #173 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:52 am »
Bob,

The only Lyle Lovett CD I have is the Joshua, Judges and Ruth, which is superlative.

I am not a Lyle fan per say, but I got this based on a recommendation from the thread and it has really grown on me and I have
come to like it alot. It is demo CD quality to me.

Aint it grand that things we may have disliked we now like and vica versa.

I just got the 2 cd version of Rolling Stones 'Hot Rocks' which has circa 1964-1972 songs...remastered via DSD technology, these are NOT SACDs but they used the
same technology used in DSD to redo these early songs from the original analog tapes...

The are superb to me , but not really of the demo type this thread was started about, but if your a Stones fan fom days bygone its worth the listen...some of the remasterings are extremely well done while some kind of are ho-hum....

All the best..
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #174 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:37 am »
Well it was one of those special moments, let me say I am not a country fan, but thru this thread I have discovered the likes of Cowboy Junkies....I even went to see Chet Atkins in concert a long time ago when he started playing acoustic jazz....but I am not a country fan by far.

Well many posts back someone suggested Blue Rodeo and their Five Days in July CD.

I got it, played it real quick to get an idea of the material and put it aside for another day....thinking I had just bought a lemon cd.

Well, you know  maybe it was the mood, the time of day, or whatever but I listened to this disc tonight serioulsy and with each cut I kept getting sucked into this cd....deeply.

Its not often that it all comes together, I kept saying at the end of this cd to myself, " dang this is a 10 out of 10 and I am not a country fan, but this recording, material, vocals are so so good how can I not like this...and I  did!!

I was so enamored with the total package...this cd is DEMO quality all around. The SongTowers absolutely SHINE is reproducing this CD's content....The Dark Angel cut is superlative. The last track has vocals and just vocals for a bit and its just absoltuely amazing...most of the vocals in this cd are 'male' so this is a refereshing change from all the great female artist cds we have been playing lately.

This would be the one disc I would use to show off what my SongTowers can do...phenomenal overall soundstage and presence....big, tight, strong, low bass it will blow you mind...do I sound excited???

Even if you dont like this style of music its worth listening to.....if this doesnt make you smile then you need to take up knitting!!!  aa

So there!!

All the best
Alex :thumb:

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #175 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:40 am »
For you 80's fans.

I listened to Tears for Fears - The Hurting last night and was very impressed by the recording. This is a very somber album with stark vocals and minimal instrumentation. The vocals come out of a very deep background and the guitars and drums are very clear.

I have the Mercury CD reissue from the UK released in 1999. That replaced my original release 1983 cassette.  After listening I ordered the vinyl LP . We'll see how that sounds.

Lowpro

I took your advice and spun my copy of "The Hurting".  Its also a 1999 Mercury UK release.  I clear as a bell remember this album winning "album of the year" from the Alternative Radio Station I listened to at the time, in 1982 when it was released.  Its been some time since I've had it on, but I've listened to this album a thousand times.  This was the 1st time on the ST-RT's.  The layers and textures that they revel and that I never heard before.  It was quite a pleasure to discover what had been previously hidden.

When I now listen the most striking thing is how forward the drums are of the vocals.  The vocals are quite powerful and yet they always seem to be coming from behind the drums. 

This has to be one of the few albums with the synthesized drums that still sounds great.  In fact in this case the drum sound is great.  When I listen to much of the "New Wave" that I was so exited about 20 odd years ago I hear the Drum Machine kills it for me.  They used to sound so cutting edge, now I listen and say "what happened, the drummer go on break?".  Not "The Hurting" though, you are constantly finding your attention grabbed and pulled right into the textures, vocals, drums and sound effects.

Others may disagree, but I could easily see playing several of the tracks to show off my ST's.  However, like the Cowboy Junkies there are times when I wish that the vocals were more forward and not as mixed into the instruments, but it always a fun ride.  The entire album is top notch every track shines.  I think I could have done without the bonus tracks though, they add nothing IMO

charmerci

« Reply #176 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:40 pm »
-

earthbound

« Reply #177 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:10 am »
Possible ultimate demo discs?!? I just got an email from Chesky Records regarding ther new 192 kHz/24-bit series which are wav files burned bit to bit onto a DVD-R. I think they need to be played on a computer. They have the potential to really sound great. I'd like to hear from anyone who has heard these, and are they worth $45?

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #178 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:25 am »
Woe hoe; hit pay dirt at the Library today.  Picked up countless CD's & Artists that have been recommended on this thread.  Didn't find the Blue Rodeo or the Lyle Lovett that I was really looking for.  Saw a couple other Blue Rodeo's but not the one recommended.  I remember seeing Blue Rodeo in a Bar about a hundred years ago. 

Found:
Alison Krauss + Union Station  - "Live"
I'm not into Blue Grass or Country.  I could see right away that it is a spectacularly clear recording with a beautiful sound stage.  It took me into my 2nd listen to warm up to the genre.  On the 2nd time through I'm sucked right into a new world.  Perfect

Madeleine Peyroux  -  "Careless Love"
Found this and got home in time to cancel it from my Amazon order that fortunately has not shipped yet  I haven't heard this one yet or any of the others that follow.

Cassandra Wilson
Picked up 4 by her.  There was also another 4 I could have taken, but this was enough for now

Spyro Gyro   -  "The Deep End"
I don't know anything about them, at least other than Alex is or was one of their groupies

Keb' Mo'
Picked up 3 by Mo.  Again there were others, but not his self titled which was the one I wanted to find

Eric Bibb  -  "Natural Light" & "A Ship Called Love"
Never heard of the guy

Diana Krall  -  "All For You"
I think I must have pretty well all her albums now.  Except the new one.  I heard a song from the new one on the radio in the car this AM.  Sounded good, but now that everyone has talked so much about the "pianoectomy" its hard not to be over critical while listening for something that isn't there

Thanks to all for the suggestions

fishinbob

« Reply #179 on: 16 Apr 2009, 08:30 pm »
Well it was one of those special moments, let me say I am not a country fan, but thru this thread I have discovered the likes of Cowboy Junkies....I even went to see Chet Atkins in concert a long time ago when he started playing acoustic jazz....but I am not a country fan by far.

Well many posts back someone suggested Blue Rodeo and their Five Days in July CD.

I got it, played it real quick to get an idea of the material and put it aside for another day....thinking I had just bought a lemon cd.

Well, you know  maybe it was the mood, the time of day, or whatever but I listened to this disc tonight serioulsy and with each cut I kept getting sucked into this cd....deeply.

Its not often that it all comes together, I kept saying at the end of this cd to myself, " dang this is a 10 out of 10 and I am not a country fan, but this recording, material, vocals are so so good how can I not like this...and I  did!!

I was so enamored with the total package...this cd is DEMO quality all around. The SongTowers absolutely SHINE is reproducing this CD's content....The Dark Angel cut is superlative. The last track has vocals and just vocals for a bit and its just absoltuely amazing...most of the vocals in this cd are 'male' so this is a refereshing change from all the great female artist cds we have been playing lately.

This would be the one disc I would use to show off what my SongTowers can do...phenomenal overall soundstage and presence....big, tight, strong, low bass it will blow you mind...do I sound excited???

Even if you dont like this style of music its worth listening to.....if this doesnt make you smile then you need to take up knitting!!!  aa

So there!!

All the best
Alex :thumb:

I bought it too and like you set it aside after a quick audition with the cans on. After reading your report I gave it some time with the SongTowers but was put off from the get go by the distorted guitar work on the first cut which seemed to be going rather nicely at first. To sum it up I wasn't as impressed and some cuts were rather tune-ish and not demo cuts in my book. The audio quality was fine but to me they are not quite demo or audition type stuff. But after re-reading your post I went back to listen to Dark Angel and it is indeed a good sounding cut but again not very demanding so as to show off some of the qualities the SongTowers possess. Sorry adydula but we shall have to agree to disgree on this one. But what the hell do I know ....:dunno:

To put the Blue Rodeo disc in perspective, at least from my jaded point of view, I cued up Dark Angel on one player and then selected a song from...(as some might guess) Alison Krauss & Union Station So Long So Wrong on the other, the cut was It Doesn't Matter. Don't get me wrong the Blue Rodeo sounded good to me too but oh .. this cut from her kills, .....period. As I've stated before just about all their stuff is very well done and make your speakers work for a living at times. So if you find you find you like their "Live" album check this one out.

Good listening
Bob

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2009, 11:40 pm by fishinbob »