Which Grado can and why?

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Which Grado can and why?
« on: 21 Jun 2019, 01:16 pm »
I have a pair of 225e's that I recently re-discovered.  I've never enjoyed them all that much,
but now find that it was because I just ran them off my ipad.  Plugged into my Burson, they
sound much better than I thought.   Soooo...all you Grado fans out there, which models are
you using and why?  Financial considerations?  Tonal preferences?
TIA,
Hibuck...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Which Grado can and why?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2019, 04:11 pm »
I have no Grados in house right now...I did buy a set of 325is a few years back.

I bought this particular model because I was interested on what the "Grado House" sound was all about.

So I thought instead of buying the low dollar stuff I would go for a mid-priced Grado and picked the 325's.

When I got them my impression was they are good, very crisp, with the accentuated treble some just hate and other love.

The main issue I had with them were the fit and comfort level. The pads felt scratchy to me....and I really didnt like to wear them for long periods of time.

Having softer pads on the Beyers made these Grado pads feel pretty, well not so good!

I have been tempted to try a set of their high end cans with the bigger earpads....

Alex

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2019, 05:51 pm »
Hi, the Grado's are meant to last but any model with the foam ear pads can be maddening. I rarely use them and the foam just falls apart. Funny, but I have a pair of Audex 8 inch woofers with foam rubber surrounds that are still mint after 29 years of daily use?....Mark Korda

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2019, 11:31 am »
I had a pair of RS2i, one of the wood cup models, and thought they sounded much better than the Prestige series, SR60 - SR325, they're derived from.  They have a remarkably clear sound, bright and detailed, good bass, and a somewhat restricted soundstage, all the hallmarks of the traditional Grado sound.  My judgement was that they sounded fabulous and that I really liked the clarity, but I found myself reaching for them less and less, so I sold them.  I suppose you just have to like the house sound and apparently I don't.  The best Grado phones I've ever heard are the PS1000, all the above with smoother highs, better soundstage, and deeper, more impactful bass.  A bargain in today's market at $1,000.