My LS-C is COMPLETED!

hesster

My LS-C is COMPLETED!
« on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:12 pm »
Been putting this build off for too long, but finally made the time to pick away at it and get it done.  It has the Plat Caps, No Rez, and used leftover South American Rosewood Veneer from my LS-9 build that I completed years ago.  It takes at least 8 coats of poly and endless sanding to get the "glass" look, but it is worth it.  Mounted the crossover externally in the back, and it will be Bi-Amped.  Tested it on my Yamaha receiver downstairs to make sure it was all sorted out before I lug it upstairs and nestle it between the 9's.  Sure sounds sweet, the combo of woofers and tweeter really sings pretty.  All that is left is to stick on the "GR" emblem to honor the master.  Not the best pic's from my basement, but they will suffice for now.

cujobob

Re: My LS-C is COMPLETED!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:14 pm »
Beautiful speaker!!....but your crossover looks like a bomb.

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:24 am »
Turned out really well. Congrats.

sl_1800

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:28 am »
Very nice

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:19 am »
Congrats, that finish is fantastic!

Do you have any more details on the process/products you used?

What is the big bundle of resistors for in the network?

cody69

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:02 am »
Very nicely done. I really like the figure of the rosewood, beautiful job.
Can't imagine how nice that must be as a center... better than the mains most of us will ever have.
Enjoy and thanks for posting your pics.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:53 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:   Awesome job.  Can't imagine what  the combination of that center with the 9's is going to sound like, wow

jay

ufokillerz

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:35 am »
how do those ls-9's sound anyway, so close to the wall and all

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm »
Great job, hesster!  Rosewood is my all-time favorite veneer - too bad it's gone up $100/sheet since I first used it.

hesster

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:53 pm »
I use simple Veneer tools in the pic.  You can buy all of it on line.  I don't round the corners of the Cabinet as the thicker sheets of Veneer are too hard to wrap and make the seams look good. 
The LS-9's ARE too close to the wall, but I can't bring them out any further, so I added some accoustic stuff in the rear - is this a good idea?
Also, the Crossover shown in the pic is on top of the 9"s, and the resistors are used to tune the base (I simply snipped 4 or 5 of them to get the best sound).  The LS-C X-Over is mounted externally to the back of the cabinet.
I use a top end Yamaha 9.1 Receiver and separate amps to power everything, and a number of Fuhrman Pro Line Conditioners / sequencers to turn everything on and off.  WIth all of the power requirements, I ran (4) 20A Watts outlets, and built my own power cords and speaker cables with designs from VH audio.

ufokillerz

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:00 pm »
The LS-9's ARE too close to the wall, but I can't bring them out any further, so I added some accoustic stuff in the rear - is this a good idea?

no such thing as a good idea or bad idea, as long as it sounds good in your ears i would say.
i just had to ask because the closer i have my ls6 to the walls, the worse it seemed to sound, although i do admit that i have to play alot more with placement still.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:59 pm »
Thanks, found your other build thread here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80580.0

Very impressive work!

Plund

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2013, 01:18 am »
Beautiful speakers you made there.   Very nice veneer work!

Pete

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2013, 07:13 am »
VERY nice! :drool:

Danny really hit it out of the park (as usual) with this one, didn't he? :thumb:

Enjoy!

Ruben

hesster

Re: My LS-C is COMPLETED! - more pics
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2013, 06:07 pm »
Finished installing the LS-C, and added some pics.  Wow does the center channel sound good, the mix of woofers and crisp tweeter add a incredible dimension to the surround sound, and is a perfect match with the 9's.  Played a Blu Ray with Dolby Digital True HD EX and it is incredible.  Danny's designs are remarkable.