Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: First Build - N3
« Reply #20 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:18 am »
I love the smell of MDF in the morning!

gmurray618

« Reply #21 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:57 pm »
Not much accomplished, but I did get a rip cut guide - nice.  Wish I knew about it last week. I understand now what you meant about not for repeated cuts.  Any error will be repeated or exaggerated. 

I started the braces and realized I would need more MDF.  :(
Spent some time figuring out how to use the Jasper circle jig and busted a 1/8 bit to use as a pin.

Hope to finish the braces tomarrow.  Gotta get a router bit to round the edges of the holes I haven't made yet.   :lol:  :lol:

Then I suppose it time to figure out how to glue it all together.    I was checking out your OB7 build Captainhemo.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:19 am »
I glued my N3's together similar to how I assembled the OB7 lower cabinets..    Most important  thing is to make sure those braces are all the same width and that you use something  to act as a front/rear baffle for alignment  while gluing them into place
When I cut  the braces for my N3's,  like PDR I had HD rip me a couple 6.5" strips so all I had to do was cut the  varioius braces from the strips.  I also explainged  the cuts needed to be as accurate as possible to the guy  .  If you  use one strip for the bracing for each speaker, you'll be asurred the all the braces in each  speaker are exactly the same

-jay

nzone

« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2013, 06:08 am »
You can make repetitive cuts to exact dimension with Kreg Rip-Cut guide, but you have to follow this method.  Let's say you want to cut the braces.  You need  6.5 x 4.5 (2), 6.5 x 5 (2), and 6.5 x 5.5 (2), and  6.5 x 6 (2).   First set the guide to 6.5" and cut a long piece.  Repeat if necessary but don't  change the guide measurement until  all required 6.5" pieces are cut.  Then set the guide to 4.5" and cut two pieces from the 6.5" piece.  Then set the guide to 5" and cut two pieces from the 6.5 piece...and repeat the rest the same way.  This method will get you exact dimension.  However, this is important, while cutting DO NOT STOP and START the saw otherwise you will get saw marks.  Cut all other size pieces using this method.  The reason I said earlier that it wasn't for repetitive cuts because it wasn't designed for that.  You can manage it but it's not efficient as Tablesaw or Plunge Saw w/rail guide.