SW-12-16FR dual-mono-H-Frame MiniMaggie Project

Danny Richie

Re: SW-12-16FR dual-mono-H-Frame MiniMaggie Project
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2013, 08:13 pm »
I don't see the point of this (Ripole) configuration myself.....unless space is really at a premium.

I agree.

Looking at the impedance plot in the link that you posted, it looks like there is a slight rise at about 110Hz and cavity resonance at about 250Hz. It looks like it would be real easy to wind up with a clear secondary rise in the 100 to 110Hz range and show a real tuning frequency in the 60Hz range where output might be heavy.

emailtim

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:02 am »
2 drivers arrived this week.  Tried them in open air, then made a pair of test mule H-frames from some leftover 16" x 0.75" melamine shelving.

Prototype H-Frames were modeled after the interior size of the Super-V's. 

Center panel is recessed 6.5" from the front and back of the H-Frame.

Cut Sheet Per Driver:
  • 1 - 13" x 13" with 11" centered driver hole
  • 4 - 13.75" x 13.75" sides

For a quick prototype, each side is the same size.  Each side sits on top of one side and butts up against the other side as they wrap around 13"x13" center driver panel.

|----        |----
| O |        | O |
----|        ----|

Output in H-Frame is higher and frequency is lower than in free air.

Using a +6b/oct dipole rolloff compensation filter via JRMC 18 and XO via a Bryston 10B Sub PRO (gives up to +/- 5dB boost/cut of the main drivers to try and match levels with the subs).

Waiting for a back ordered Rythmik Servo plate amp to test the Servo feature next.

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2013, 02:03 am by emailtim »

emailtim

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2013, 06:50 pm »
The A370PEQ Servo Plate amp arrived this week.  I hooked it up last night and like what I am hearing so far with the larger Maggies in a larger room.  I will be moving it to the office system (smaller room, smaller Maggies) after some more experimentation.  I would like to get a reference point between the 2 room sizes.

I can see why some sturdy frames are required.  Even with 50lbs plates on top of each single H-Frame, carpet spikes would be a helpful addition.  Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon's heart beat intro track really pushed some air.  Also tried some Chinese Drum solo and other bass heavy tracks.  Cello and Double Bass solos also sound nice.

I have a multi-channel sound card coming that should allow the use of digital XO points/slopes for both the mains and subs in the office system.

As for the plate amp enclosure, how big should the amp-box be to facilitate sufficient cooling?

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2013, 06:56 pm »
As for the plate amp enclosure, how big should the amp-box be to facilitate sufficient cooling?

The heat sinks are on the front so it doesn't really matter too much what you put it in.

emailtim

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:55 pm »
The heat sinks are on the front so it doesn't really matter too much what you put it in.

Thanks Danny.