Re: Battery power

Cheeseboy

« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:51 pm »
This is the downfall of the Volt.

Is it really? 

I think the Volt could be way more efficient in how it uses it's battery power compared to other automotive systems in the marketplace.  I think its shortfall is its battery management system (BMS) and the way the drive train curve is set to use energy.  Chevy can be very successful in this market as well if they are willing to take more weigh out of their car.  Did it have to feel like a Chevy.  As an industry leader they could have led the marketplace away from a fear based crash testing market to one based on engineered success in fuel efficiency.  The safety could be engineered in later as the battery technology progressed.  Early adoptors in electric cars are not expecting redundant airbag systems and structural surviveable integrity on par with a MACK Truck in an accident.

The "generator" is there to address an engineering decision on weight, BMS and power curve.  The "generator" was  added to as well address fears of running out of juice.  If electric car companies would adress the performance initiatives in weight and handling and turn away from fear based engineering they would be more popular IMHO. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:27 pm »
Since the Volt drives on electric power all the time, it would seem that a more effiecient generator like a diesel would have been a better choice.  You can also store diesel longer than gasoline and use stabilizers for temperature.  Running a diesel at constant RPM and load is very efficient.  Other engine styles would be possible for generators. 

A lot of the hybrids in Europe are diesel/battery styles.  They are getting higher mileage than gas/battery hybrids.  They cannot be imported due to our emissions standards.  Bummer!

Still some rumblings about fuel cell driven electrics, but much lower talk at this point. 

Will keep driving my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid awhile longer.   Honda just replaced the NiMH battery pack last year with a new LiFePO4 pack in mine after 6 years when the battery developed issues.  Honda paid for the entire battery replacement cost and repair.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:28 pm »
Yeah, making it so heavy was a pretty large downfall too. The thing weighs nearly 3800 pounds.

And with an electric range of about 35 miles on a average temperature day is not much of a range. Up North right now in the cold weather it would be half of that. Then it gets only about 38 miles to the gallon burning gas used to turn a generator. They might as well take out the 435 pounds of batteries, let the gas engine drive the wheels directly, and get 40 plus miles to the gallon.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2013, 08:06 pm »
I thought it was a good idea when they first started talking about it, but it was supposed to be about 70-100 miles on the charge.

Many people could use it as their DD/Commuter car on the charge, then if you wanted to go someplace, unlimited range via gas. It's tough for most people to be able to afford an electric car that can only be used for short distances.

Theory: Good (IMHO). Technology: Not there (yet)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
The average American drives 27 miles a day.  A 35 mile range on pure electric is just OK but much better with the generator reserve.  Had GM gone hyperlite and pressed for 100 miles on a single charge we most likely will see a next gen Volt.  However many gas powered buggies are getting 40 miles per gallon on the freeway these days.  Is there a future for the conventional looking electric car?  Maybe not. 

The ZAP Alias hit that 100 miles on a charge milestone.  It was a hyperlight three wheel machine that handled well accelerated well, and had a top speed of 85 mph.    However it would take a certain type of individual to buy one.  Perhaps Tesla had the right idea.  Make it a conventional looking sports car and then hyperlite is cool.  Both ZAP and Tesla had the chassis and styling done by Lotus Engineering.  They know Hyperlites. 

Using a conventional car body and all of the creature comforts we have come to expect in an automobile just won't cut it.   It's time to build the "Volkswagen" of electric cars.  Leaf was close. 

On another note the CEO did like the idea of a tubed battery powered preamp with tubes glowing in a window in the dash and a US voiced speaker system.   Then production was being moved to China. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:27 am »
Like a Ford GT40 roller body with a battery pack and electric drive.  Oh yeah!  :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:29 am »
I like that idea. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:33 am »
I kept thinking that should be one of my retirement projects. 

Then I heard that I probably would not fit in the car from someone that got a ride in one of the new production GT's. 

I can dream!  :)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:48 am »
It's a DIY project.  You could give it a bench seat. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:01 am »
I just Googled it.  Someone has already done it.  Fiberglass body GT40 all electric.  Goes 120 miles on a charge and top speed is over 130mph.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/ford-gt40-replica-gets-juiced-with-electric-conversion/

I would probably need a bench seat!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:12 am »
I just Googled it.  Someone has already done it.  Fiberglass body GT40 all electric.  Goes 120 miles on a charge and top speed is over 130mph.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/ford-gt40-replica-gets-juiced-with-electric-conversion/

I would probably need a bench seat!
Cool!  :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2013, 04:24 am »
HAL can you build one for me too.  I like having the little lady slide over next to me when I'm driving.  Blue please!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:30 am »
I wish!

I am with you on the Blue.  Need the white stripe down the center!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2013, 12:42 am »
It wouldn't be a Ford GT unless it had the stripe. 

How would the GT (Gasoline) fare against Dannys Corvette?  I had a BMW M3 that was fast on a road track but as soon as I got on the freeway Corvettes would go flying by.  Hated that. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:03 am »
Danny's friend that has the new production Ford GT might be able to answer that question.

Ed VB

« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:15 am »
Here is going to be my next machine. Kit from UK should arrive next week.

TrungT

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:23 am »
^^^^^
WoW, look like a lot of fun.  :thumb:

FloridaBear

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:39 am »
Since the Volt drives on electric power all the time, it would seem that a more effiecient generator like a diesel would have been a better choice.  You can also store diesel longer than gasoline and use stabilizers for temperature.  Running a diesel at constant RPM and load is very efficient.  Other engine styles would be possible for generators. 

+1. Even a small turbine could potentially be more efficient than a petrol generator, and have more fuel flexibility to boot (even natural gas or propane could work).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm »
Issue with gas turbines is the exhaust temperature needs to be lowered to not melt road surfaces from what I have read about earlier trials.  Cogeneration from the turbine and heat exchanger might do even better and keep exhaust temp low.   Some fuel cells like higher temperatures to run or possibly Peltier devices. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:15 pm »
Here is going to be my next machine. Kit from UK should arrive next week.

Any more info on that kit?

Looks pretty cool...