Re: Battery power

Cheeseboy

« on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:10 pm »

I don't know if one will notice the quieter noise floor and other positive effects of being off the grid in the ranges below 200Hz. Plus those are big amps and it would take a pretty large battery power supply to handle them.

My days at ZAP the electric car company tell me that battery strings can handle that kind of power requirement and more.   Anyone have a solar installation and some Super V's?  I feel sick.  Lets try to prove whether or not off the grid below 200Hz makes a sound quality difference. 

Can you say nano lithium?

John need help with that battery?

Danny Richie

Re: Re: Battery power
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm »
Hey Cheeseboy,

Are you still working for Zap?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm »
Not for sometime.  They didn't have the "Juice" to keep me there?  Hah!
Did you ever get an electric car? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2013, 12:03 am »
Not for sometime.  They didn't have the "Juice" to keep me there?  Hah!
Did you ever get an electric car?

I did not get one yet. I am still very interested though. Nothing really grabbed me from what was available and I just don't have the time to take on building a new project like an electric car right now.

Plus I got a little bit distracted upgrading my Vette. It is about to pick up about 150 horsepower in new mods. Fun stuff...

Cheeseboy

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2013, 01:40 am »
Nice power grab. Lemme guess. Headers. Exhaust. New chip. Hot cam shaft.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2013, 01:48 am »
I did not get one yet. I am still very interested though. Nothing really grabbed me from what was available and I just don't have the time to take on building a new project like an electric car right now.

Plus I got a little bit distracted upgrading my Vette. It is about to pick up about 150 horsepower in new mods. Fun stuff...
Tesla.

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2013, 01:54 am »
cheeseboy, I have a pair of super 7s and servo sub and I live off the grid. At the levels I listen at my whole system pulls around 100watts. Never having heard the system on grid I have no idea if it sound better. My solar system produces 11,000 to 12,500 watts per day, so the audio systems uses a small part.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2013, 02:52 am »

Skiman

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2013, 03:23 am »
I recently had a 9.81 KW solar panel system installed at my house in Colorado. In order to qualify for a rebate from my electricity provider (Xcel Energy), the DC electricity generated by the solar panels must be converted to AC by an inverter and enters the 'grid' immediately upstream of a new bidirectional meter (actually two of them). So I am still connected to the grid, but when the panels are generating at least as much electicity as I'm using, the juice should be a bit cleaner, but I have no way to confirm this. At any rate, I haven't noticed a difference in my speakers. I have a pair of LS9s and an LSC by the way.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2013, 05:14 am »
My electricity bill was $556 dollars last month  :oops:

and solar folks around here want $22,000 to add solar energy to our house.

It's a lose lose proposition.   :cry:

My amps draw .7 KW hour combined which I calculated to be $.11 an hour. Makes no sense as these things will heat the house!

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2013, 03:31 pm »
The Tesla line is nice but too rich for my blood. Take a car with that styling and range and get it down into the price range of the Leaf and I am a buyer.

I think the Fisker is a hybrid unless I am mistaken.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2013, 05:07 pm »
The Tesla line is nice but too rich for my blood. Take a car with that styling and range and get it down into the price range of the Leaf and I am a buyer.

We were walking around one of the high end SoCal malls a few months back and there was a Tesla shop. Kind of weird to have a car "dealership" set up as a storefront in a mall......

Very nice car. Decent range. Good power. Useful size.

But they didn't want to talk about the price too much, focusing on how cost effective per mile it could be. With the rate our gas prices are going up the last few weeks (again), they're probably right.

Seems likely that somebody will get it right in the not too distant future. There does need to be some way to refuel these things practically so that you can take a trip  and refuel while enroute to extend the range. I'm still hopeful on the Hydrogen technology in spite of what some of the "experts" say.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2013, 05:53 pm »
My idea was to hitch up to a little utility trailer that carries along another battery pack to extend the range another 100 to 150 miles. It would be great for short trips. Plus a little trailer could be plugged into a nice sized solar panel to charge up over the next four or five days until the next little trip.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:12 pm »
Latest news on the electric vehicle front I read is that Nissan and Toyota were getting out of the full electric car area.  They are concentrating on hybrids.  Not enough infrastructure for recharging stations except for limited areas.  Sound like it is time for more grass roots startups to get involved in concepts.  Agree with Danny that the price has to come down more for acceptance for a.wider audience.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2013, 07:06 pm »

The Fisker is a kind of weird hybrid. It's a fully electric motor running the car, but they have an electric generator that runs off gasoline. Basically you can run on straight electricity, but when you get low and there's not a charging station nearby, you can turn on the generator and get more electricity. Apparently the generator is more efficient than using the gas directly. There's also a solar panel on the top that powers pretty much all the electronics and charges the car a little bit.

I saw it in the Philly auto show and it looked absolutely gorgeous in person.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2013, 07:21 pm »
The Fisker is a kind of weird hybrid. It's a fully electric motor running the car, but they have an electric generator that runs off gasoline. Basically you can run on straight electricity, but when you get low and there's not a charging station nearby, you can turn on the generator and get more electricity. Apparently the generator is more efficient than using the gas directly. There's also a solar panel on the top that powers pretty much all the electronics and charges the car a little bit.

I saw it in the Philly auto show and it looked absolutely gorgeous in person.
Does the gas generator create enough energy so that the car can run even if the charge is completely gone? That would be nice.

I figure that, for example, if a car could leave LA with a full charge and head for LV, it could run 150-300 miles on the charge until it's gone, then continue under gas generator until arrival, it would have a market. Once you got there, there's the whole recharging infrastucture issue. But if you leave it out in the open in a parking lot for a couple of days to get some charge from panels, and head back with just a couple of gallons of gas and make it....

Kind of like a Chevy Volt, but w/o all the issues.  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2013, 07:23 pm »
Apparently the generator is more efficient than using the gas directly.

That is not even remotely possible.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2013, 07:32 pm »
Does the gas generator create enough energy so that the car can run even if the charge is completely gone? That would be nice.

I figure that, for example, if a car could leave LA with a full charge and head for LV, it could run 150-300 miles on the charge until it's gone, then continue under gas generator until arrival, it would have a market. Once you got there, there's the whole recharging infrastucture issue. But if you leave it out in the open in a parking lot for a couple of days to get some charge from panels, and head back with just a couple of gallons of gas and make it....

Kind of like a Chevy Volt, but w/o all the issues.  :green:

It runs fully on battery power for the first 50 miles and then uses the generator for an extra 250-300 miles/more power. I would assume the generator can run the car when the charge is completely gone.

That is not even remotely possible.

Yeah I'm not sure why they didn't just make it a hybrid. Just recall top gear saying something about it being more efficient using the gas for the generator to power the electric motor instead of using it to power a traditional gas motor. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever. (James May Season 18 episode 4 about 10 minutes in)

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 9 Feb 2013, 08:09 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure why they didn't just make it a hybrid. Just recall top gear saying something about it being more efficient using the gas for the generator to power the electric motor instead of using it to power a traditional gas motor. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever. (James May Season 18 episode 4 about 10 minutes in)

I have studied it quite a bit. Using a gas engine to turn a generator, to produce electricity, to store it in a battery, to then use it to turn an electric motor, to then turn drive wheels.... is not very efficient. Just use the gas engine to turn the drive wheels. 

This is the downfall of the Volt.

abernardi

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:11 am »
My idea was to hitch up to a little utility trailer that carries along another battery pack to extend the range another 100 to 150 miles. It would be great for short trips. Plus a little trailer could be plugged into a nice sized solar panel to charge up over the next four or five days until the next little trip.

I think the first Hybrids did something like this.  There'd be a little trailer that carried a small gas powered generator to keep the battery charged.