Noisey Fan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Noisey Fan
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:42 pm »
Any ideas how to quiet a clicking fan?
I think it's still under warranty, but the unit is not only my gaming platform, it's my DVD and CD player so I'd rather not send it in for repair for an undetermined amount of time.
Thought about taking it back to get an exchanged unit...... :wink:
Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Noisey Fan
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:48 pm »
Usually bearings (probably plastic) go bad so the fan gets out of balance. Or maybe you can tweak the fan manually to get it to behave....You can get a replacement fan at CompUSA or Circuit City for $7-10 if you are willing to replace it yourself.

Unless it is the power supply fan - that priobably calls for more surgury and it may be easier to just replace the whole power supply with a better one.

I will be trying to replace a case fan myself tonight!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:58 pm »
Quick responce time!

It's the unit fan (the fan closest to the A/V outputs). Although the power supply is a bit noisy, however it's tucked away and unheard from the seating position.
I'm willing to do it myself, but was unsure if the fan is some kind of proprietary size/shape that prevents you from getting one at "the store down the street".
It starts making noise immediately after start-up. BUT, I found if I stick something in the vent holes and push on the center hub of the fan, it's quiet for the rest of the night. Like it's hitting the case, not necessarily the bearings. Thought about taking the case apart and "modding" the piece it's hitting, but wanted some feedback to see if you guys have seen this before.

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 11:12 pm »
Since this is a $7 fan and 99% of the time they are not a proprietary size, if you can mod it, do it. "Down the street" means a computer store that sells case fans.

There are usually these bizarre plastic-cutting screws that attach the fan to the case. If you can adjust them or put a piece of cardboad in to quiet it down that should be just fine.

From your description it could still be bearings or just the mounting. On nicer fans they make the fan rotate smoothly and silently. If the mounting assembly, which is probably an electric motor stuck into a plastic fitting, is off kilter the fan blades can be at an angle to strike the casing. So try to tweak it by changing that angle or "pushing on the center hub". Nothing too fancy, usually replacing the fan would work but if you can fix it it is even simpler.

What brand of PC or case is this. I have an Antec case, an Enlight case, etc.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006, 01:26 am »
Or, if you really want to make your PC quiet, check this out
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html

You need to buy these fans online, and search for them.

All you have to measure the fan, see if it is 120mm or 80mm, and then find a quiet replacement.

And if the fan blows more air than you need, you can undervolt the fan, and make it even quieter.

Randy

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:36 am »
Guys, I think Bob is talking about his Xbox 360 having a noisy fan, not a PC.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:49 pm »
Guys, I think Bob is talking about his Xbox 360 having a noisy fan, not a PC.

Correct bubba.  :thumb:
Sorry I didn't specify. :oops:

Bob

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2006, 07:54 pm »
Ot, but...
I have a 360 with the same loud hardrive/fan noise as my original xbox.
It's a bummer, any proven quieting tips?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:14 pm »
loud hardrive/fan noise

Mine is the fan, is yours the fan, harddrive, or are both making noise??

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:31 pm »
Ahh yes big difference. I have no idea about the 360 fan myself. Mine can be kind of loud too, but it does not make a clicking noise...I will have to look at it.

I would check the web to see perhaps what others have done. But based on what you have said maybe you can simply bend the metal screen out a little...