Xbox 2 with HD-DVD drive?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 21 Dec 2004, 12:52 am »
Now that Sony has announced they'll be incorporating a Blu-ray drive in the Playstation 3, will MS counter by adding an HD-DVD drive to the next Xbox?  I haven't seen a lot of good rumors yet about the new 'box.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2004, 05:38 am »
There are going to be 3 different versions of X2.  The third and greatest will come out at least a year after the first barebones gaming machine, that likely will not even be able to play DVD's, and certainly will not have a harddrive.  So the latest and greatest will absolutely positively handsdown beat the snot out of the PS3.  Microsoft should be able to have their cake and eat it too.  
Now that I am landlocked in Mongolia and when my system gets here I am going to be throwing out about 40 reviews of x-box games that I have stored.  Some games I will not play until my audio system comes.  Also will be picking up a projector in Beijing next month.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2004, 05:48 am »
I dunno, Woodsea...the new P3 will be a monster, too.  I'm really anxious to for the day when they're both out.  Back in the day I had nearly 100 games for the original PSX, so obviously I wanted the P2 to be better than the box, but it wasn't- the Xbox totally crushes it.  But it looks like Sony might take back the crown.

Even if they don't, the real winners will be all us gamers.  I'll undoubtedly buy both machines.  I'll even buy a Nintendo if they finally put out a serious machine for once! :lol:

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:01 pm »
How about this Rob?
So before TeamXbox went on holiday break, they stuffed their readers' stockings with this delicious rumor. Already reported on by the Official Xbox Magazine, Microsoft and Bungie are planning to release Halo 2.5 as a launch title for the Xbox 2. TeamXbox uncovered some of the first details regarding the game from an unidentified source. "Halo 2.5 will be an Xbox 2 launch title and is going to run in HDTV resolution with new, improved textures and graphical effects. All the stuff that people expected from Halo 2 but didn't make the cut will be there. The technology that powers Halo 2 has been designed from day one to take advantage of the next generation hardware," the insider said. "In Halo 2, the Xbox was pushed to its limits but now the game will reach new heights with the advanced hardware."

If that wasn't enough, the source floated this out. "Now, here is the twist. Halo 2.5 will come preloaded with the optional HDD. It'll be one of the two reasons to get the Xbox 2 that comes with a hard drive. The other reason... well, you'll just have to wait." Dun dun duuuuun!

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2004, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
All the stuff that people expected from Halo 2 but didn't make the cut will be there.

How bout a game that doesn't end in the middle of the story :evil:

Sorry just was pissed about the ending :(

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2004, 02:22 am »
Bob-
Sorry about that...I have not finished the game yet.  Actually I am on a hiatus, since my system is en route and will be here the end of next month.  I just cut and pasted that story from another.  What games are you playing now?
-Eric

bob82274

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2004, 02:39 am »
I too am on hiatus of playing many games though for different reasons.  I'm spending the holidays away from Raleigh and even when I'm there I find that I don't have the time to play like I used to.  Halo 2 was the last thing that I've played.  When you finish the game you will understand why I was upset.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2004, 02:45 am »
Quote from: bob82274
Quote from: Woodsea
All the stuff that people expected from Halo 2 but didn't make the cut will be there.

How bout a game that doesn't end in the middle of the story :evil:

Sorry just was pissed about the ending :(

Did you watch all of the stuff after the credits roll?

I've got a habit of doing so with movies, and did so with Halo 2 as well. Of course I've got friends in the credits in Halo 2, so I was mostly paying attention to that. And was pleased to see more of the storyline after the creds. I probably won't get around to beating it on legendary, but I'm sure there's something more to that ending thatn there is for any of the other difficulty levels.