Soundirok App

soliver

Re: Soundirok App
« Reply #100 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:25 pm »
James,
Not sure of your settings, but I will say for both Mpad and Soundirok, on the collection URL line I have never been able to enter just http://bryston...local/music

I tried it again just a couple of days ago, and no artwork loaded for me.  Same thing for MPad back when I was messing with that 3 years ago when I got my Bdp-2

Instead I have always had to use http://(IP Address of Bryston)/music

So if you don't already have it that way perhaps try it.

Now with all of you guys who are getting this app to work correctly, how the heck do you get DSD (.dsf) files to display correctly?
I can only see the files in File View, and if I select a track it is invisible in the queue, but it will play.  No artwork however.
But currently this is a deal breaker for me, if I can't play DSD with this app correctly.

All of my DSD files show up fine in MPad, and they are mostly all just files downloaded from internet resellers, and then I add a Folder.jpg to get artwork in Mpad to show correctly.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:05 am »

Hi James.  I'm sure you have already done this.  Did you try and clear the local image cache then try and reload.

Yes tried that.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #102 on: 12 Mar 2017, 06:43 am »

...with Mpod it was easy to 'see' all the files that the user created.
not doable with this app!?!
any ideas??

al.

ClothEars

« Reply #103 on: 13 Mar 2017, 04:24 am »

Now with all of you guys who are getting this app to work correctly, how the heck do you get DSD (.dsf) files to display correctly?
I can only see the files in File View, and if I select a track it is invisible in the queue, but it will play.  No artwork however.
But currently this is a deal breaker for me, if I can't play DSD with this app correctly.

All of my DSD files show up fine in MPad, and they are mostly all just files downloaded from internet resellers, and then I add a Folder.jpg to get artwork in Mpad to show correctly.

I have the same display problem with some DSD file folders.  Note - it is only some maybe 1/2 a dozen or so.  It can't be DSD files per say as I can see most of the DSD albums without a problem.
I have emailed Daniel to see if he can suggest a solution so I'll post any response that solves the problem.
I am loving the latest version 2.1 especially the "Journal" view.  It surpasses MPaD for ease of use (and MPaD doesn't appear in the App Store anymore either).

Here is the Journal view. (Note - it is displaying a DSD album as well as the WAV version)

Marius

« Reply #104 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:40 pm »
Yes tried that.

james
Same here, tried all settings i can think of, still, no covert art in sight...
Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:41 pm »
Same here, tried all settings i can think of, still, no covert art in sight...
Cheers,
Marius

I have emailed Daniel to see if he can help.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 14 Mar 2017, 05:42 pm »
Daniel set me this:

Name: Bryston BDP-1
IP Address: bryston-bdp-1.local (on my setup this has to be the units IP to connect)
Port: 6600
Password: <empty>

Cover Script URL: <empty>

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/
Cover Filename: Folder.jpg
Artist Thumb Filename: Folder.jpg

The IP address and cover/artist thumb filenames have to be adjusted. As far as I know the Bryston players share the music collection at http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/. Technically Soundirok does the following the get the URL to a cover image:

From the path to a file reported by MPD the actual file is removed, for example:

"Artist A/Album B/01 - Track 01.flac" --> "Artist A/Album B/"
Then the cover filename provided in the settings is appended: "Artist A/Album B/Folder.jpg".
After that the collection URL is prepended (and a maybe missing trailing slash is added): "http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/Artist A/Album B/Folder.jpg"

Oh, and I forgot to mention that starting with Soundirok 2.0 there is also a first run wizard which automatically sets the settings below when the user chooses "Bryston BDP-1/2" as his device type.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:10 pm »
Daniel added:

The IP address is even better because then no zeroconf DNS resolution has to be done (which in some cases gives strange delays).

Please also adjust the "Collection URL" to the IP address as well.

Close the settings and Soundirok should reload your collection. That the red line on top stops in the middle is a strange behaviour... Nobody reported this problem before.

Krutsch

« Reply #108 on: 16 Mar 2017, 07:10 pm »
Daniel added:

The IP address is even better because then no zeroconf DNS resolution has to be done (which in some cases gives strange delays).

Please also adjust the "Collection URL" to the IP address as well.

Close the settings and Soundirok should reload your collection. That the red line on top stops in the middle is a strange behaviour... Nobody reported this problem before.

I personally use the zeroconf version, but that's just me and I've not seen any delays.

I'm sure no one has reported the "red line stops problem" because no one else has tried Soundirok with a library containing 65K albums (how did you even build a collection that large :o )

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 16 Mar 2017, 07:12 pm »
I personally use the zeroconf version, but that's just me and I've not seen any delays.

I'm sure no one has reported the "red line stops problem" because no one else has tried Soundirok with a library containing 65K albums (how did you even build a collection that large :o )

Hi Krutsch,

I listen to everything 3 times  :icon_lol:

james

Camper

« Reply #110 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:15 pm »
Just down loaded Soundirok 2.3 update.  Everything is way faster to load and several other bugs fixed with scrolling.  I tried to load Soundirok on an old iPad 3 and when I was loading it the bar got stuck that James has described before.  Tried several times and then realized that Soundirok uses 5.5 GB of storage.  It stopped because my iPad was full.  I have 1600 albums which uses 5.5 GB of Storage.  I deleted a bunch of apps and then reloaded it. It is very slow compared to my iPad Pro but it does work.  So make sure you have enough empty space on your iPad before you update your Soundirok album library.  Hope this helps.  It caused me a lot of frustration. 

Krutsch

« Reply #111 on: 30 Mar 2017, 05:27 pm »
Just down loaded Soundirok 2.3 update.  Everything is way faster to load and several other bugs fixed with scrolling.  I tried to load Soundirok on an old iPad 3 and when I was loading it the bar got stuck that James has described before.  Tried several times and then realized that Soundirok uses 5.5 GB of storage.  It stopped because my iPad was full.  I have 1600 albums which uses 5.5 GB of Storage.  I deleted a bunch of apps and then reloaded it. It is very slow compared to my iPad Pro but it does work.  So make sure you have enough empty space on your iPad before you update your Soundirok album library.  Hope this helps.  It caused me a lot of frustration.

Interesting... I have ~1200 albums and Soundirok is using 287.6 MB (mega, not giga) on my iPhone 7.

Maybe try clearing/reloading the album art image cache?

Camper

« Reply #112 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:11 pm »
Yes cleared everything. Album art is all high quality 1000x1000 from Fanart.tv. It does look impressive.

Camper

« Reply #113 on: 31 Mar 2017, 04:00 am »

I guess I have the "enable image cache" selected.  Speeds up image scrolling.  Works really well.

Krutsch

« Reply #114 on: 31 Mar 2017, 03:05 pm »

I guess I have the "enable image cache" selected.  Speeds up image scrolling.  Works really well.

I have that enabled, as well, and most of my cover art is 1K x 1K or larger. Don't know why your data store is so large on your device.

Camper

« Reply #115 on: 31 Mar 2017, 04:35 pm »
That's interesting.  Now I'm not sure why its that large. I rip all my CD's with XLD on my iMac.  I then import them to iTunes and modify the metadata.  Each song I think has an image attached to it.  I then add a Folder.jpg image to each album folder (1000Kx1000K image).  I then take the iTunes music folder and put it on a hard drive and then use it with My BDP-1 and 2.  Could it be that each song has an image attached to it?  That's the only thing that would make it so large.  Any thoughts? 

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #116 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:08 pm »
Yes cleared everything. Album art is all high quality 1000x1000 from Fanart.tv. It does look impressive.

Why on earth would you want all artwork in 1000 x 1000??? 200 x 200 is more than enough, that is the largest version you will see in any controller. Which means that 1000 x 1000 sized images will all be resized by software that should use its calculating power elsewhere (playing music). It also consumes a massive amount of storage space, which should be used for something else (storing music). Plus the resizing will not be done at Photoshop quality, leaving you with an image quality that is less than when you use small images.
So rename those poster sized images and create small thumbnails for your app. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Camper

« Reply #117 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:57 pm »

200x200 image

1000x1000 image

So here are the differences is how the files are displayed.  The Vapors image is 200x200 while the Split Enz file is 1000x1000. I think the pictures speak for themselves.  I have a 1000x1000 for probably 99% of my albums.  I think 5 GB of album art in a 1TB collection is reasonable. 

Krutsch

« Reply #118 on: 1 Apr 2017, 03:33 pm »

So here are the differences is how the files are displayed.  The Vapors image is 200x200 while the Split Enz file is 1000x1000. I think the pictures speak for themselves.  I have a 1000x1000 for probably 99% of my albums.  I think 5 GB of album art in a 1TB collection is reasonable.

Exactly.

By the way, I haven't heard True Colors since it was released while I was in high school... that brought back memories seeing that album cover.

Krutsch

« Reply #119 on: 1 Apr 2017, 03:39 pm »
@Camper ... BTW, are you using an iPad Pro with Soundirok?

I have an iPad Mini 2 (old model), but have been using my iPhone 7 lately, as the app is more responsive with that device (and seems to be easier on the battery - with the iPad Mini 2, Soundirok will run down my battery pretty quickly).

Thinking about getting a newer iPad Pro with the 12" screen for music apps.