MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine

witchdoctor

Re: MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine
« Reply #100 on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:49 pm »
Obviously.  :lol:

What specifically about it didn't you like? The truth?

I think it's fine to pitch whatever you have to sell without having to rip the competition. He goes beyond ripping MQA when he attacks the press and audiophiles. Not necessary IMO.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #101 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:07 pm »
Your "lossless" files are probably lossy, or are derived from lousy (pun intended) masters.

Is iTunes cheaper than MQA?  :scratch: (Both are lossy....).

cheers
not from iTunes I don’t download from there.  Compared to lossless files not iTunes

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #102 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:34 pm »
I think it's fine to pitch whatever you have to sell without having to rip the competition. He goes beyond ripping MQA when he attacks the press and audiophiles. Not necessary IMO.

He's criticizing those press agents who promote MQA as "lossless" and a "revolution", and also the 'philes who took the bait and continue to propagate the false claims made by MQA's originators.

cheers

kingdeezie

« Reply #103 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:40 pm »
not from iTunes I don’t download from there.  Compared to lossless files not iTunes

I believe that somewhere in the MQA chain a proprietary digital filter is applied. Lucey mentions this when he talks about MQA purporting to "improve" the music somehow. Lucey also talks about how different forms of compression alter the sound from the original.

You just might like whatever digital filter is being applied to the MQA files, versus the recording played losslessly. Different strokes for different folks.   

gbaby

« Reply #104 on: 12 Dec 2018, 06:40 pm »
After reading all this I’m scratching my head.  I still think the MQA purchases I have made sound incredible compared to lossless

Maybe they sound incredible due to the increases in the mid range and high frequency ranges. Its like you turned the treble up. :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #105 on: 12 Dec 2018, 07:17 pm »
Maybe they sound incredible due to the increases in the mid range and high frequency ranges. Its like you turned the treble up. :lol:

exactomundo.

witchdoctor

« Reply #106 on: 12 Dec 2018, 09:31 pm »
He's criticizing those press agents who promote MQA as "lossless" and a "revolution", and also the 'philes who took the bait and continue to propagate the false claims made by MQA's originators.

cheers

press agents = pimps? nah  :nono:

philes= fools? nah  :nono:

Lacey= one bitter engineer? That is the impression I get.

gbaby

« Reply #107 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:15 pm »
press agents = pimps? nah  :nono:

philes= fools? nah  :nono:

P. T. Barnum was right. He was probably talking about folks like you.  :lol: However, if you have stock in MQA, keep lobbying for it.  :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #108 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm »

Lacey got frauded (so did millions of 'philes). He should be pissed. Any normal person making an honest living would be. Considering that, his controlled analysis and discussion are commendable.

witchdoc = one rational 'phile? nope  :nono:

You can't admit that you got ripped off. Repeatedly. And duped. Lossless?  :lol:

geowak

« Reply #109 on: 13 Dec 2018, 02:08 am »
I have been enjoying MQA for many months now. My concern (limited concern) is that Jay-Z is running Tidal into the ground. I did not worry about albums going away, nor did I worry CD's would go away. Does anyone care very much about reel to reel, cassettes, 8 tracks???

Many people I know during the 80's and 90's were stealing music away from the artists when file sharing (think LimeWire, Scour, Grokster, Madster, eDonkey2000 and Napster) was the big thing. Not much complaining about music making, formatting or recording concerns back then. I am glad to see streaming services offering musical artists money and find streaming of all kinds, overall good for music (even MQA)

Besides when the bandwidth opens up to the point that big files can be streamed easily, MQA will fade away. Why all the fuss?

witchdoctor

« Reply #110 on: 13 Dec 2018, 02:54 am »
I have been enjoying MQA for many months now. My concern (limited concern) is that Jay-Z is running Tidal into the ground. I did not worry about albums going away, nor did I worry CD's would go away. Does anyone care very much about reel to reel, cassettes, 8 tracks???

Many people I know during the 80's and 90's were stealing music away from the artists when file sharing (think LimeWire, Scour, Grokster, Madster, eDonkey2000 and Napster) was the big thing. Not much complaining about music making, formatting or recording concerns back then. I am glad to see streaming services offering musical artists money and find streaming of all kinds, overall good for music (even MQA)

Besides when the bandwidth opens up to the point that big files can be streamed easily, MQA will fade away. Why all the fuss?

IMO the "haters" got burned dropping $$$ into DSD downloads and dacs and are peeved that Tidal subscribers get tons of hirez MQA tracks without a similar investment. The manufacturers are pissed that they invested $$$ into producing hirez dacs which are at the risk of becoming less desirable with customers who prefer MQA. They don't want to lose a profit margin and buy another licensing fee.
I would have gladly paid a $10 a month premium for MQA and Tidal kept it at $20 (which I applaud Jay-Z for). My favorite thing is opening the new release playlist and getting surprised by the constant release of new MQA content.

If someone likes DSD or 24/96 rock on. I just can't afford to buy every new HIREZ release that I get via MQA on Tidal.

witchdoctor

« Reply #111 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:02 am »
Lacey got frauded (so did millions of 'philes). He should be pissed. Any normal person making an honest living would be. Considering that, his controlled analysis and discussion are commendable.

witchdoc = one rational 'phile? nope  :nono:

You can't admit that you got ripped off. Repeatedly. And duped. Lossless?  :lol:

Frauded? Pissed? Ripped Off? You seem bitter too  :(
Please read my above post. No worries, I understand.

skunark

« Reply #112 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:29 am »
If someone likes DSD or 24/96 rock on. I just can't afford to buy every new HIREZ release that I get via MQA on Tidal.
Very soon Qobuz will be there with HiRez in the US for the same dollar as Tidal.   A win for all!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #113 on: 13 Dec 2018, 12:22 pm »
Frauded? Pissed? Ripped Off? You seem bitter too  :(
Please read my above post. No worries, I understand.

Not at all. I get what I love -- lossless, life-like realism. No reaching for "revolutionary formats". You got it all wrong, bud. Don't be a psychiatrist, you'll get sued for malpractice  :lol:

cheers

ServerAdmin

« Reply #114 on: 13 Dec 2018, 02:08 pm »
Hey guys, cut it with the personal snipes. Thanks.

[Update] Thread split and locked.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2018, 11:51 am by ServerAdmin »