Soundirok App

XMAN

Soundirok App
« on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:48 am »
I just installed Soundirok and its picking up no album art any help would be appreiated

Krutsch

Re: Soundirok App
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2016, 04:50 am »
I just installed Soundirok and its picking up no album art any help would be appreiated

There are two methods for retrieving album art and artist images:

1. Use the covert.php script - Bryston has included the Soundirok cover art script in the shipping firmware.

2. Fill-in the device settings with the appropriate values (i.e. Settings ... Devices ... Bryston BDP-1 (or whatever you called yours)

I use method #2. I have an image called "folder.jpg" inside each album folder, so I use that file name in a manner similar to setting up the preferred name for album art in Manic Moose.

So, my device settings look like this (at the bottom of that screen):

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/

Cover Filename: folder.jpg

Artist Thumb Filename: thumb.jpg  (...I have one of these in each artist folder, with that artist's albums as sub-folders)

Booklet Filename: booklet.pdf

Now, if you don't have album art as a separate file inside the album folder, you can generate these using Manic Moose (as one example - there are other ways to do this, as well).

Reset and rebuild the Bryston DB in Manic Moose and the software will create a file called bdp_front_250.jpg inside of each album folder. Then, change Cover Filename to bdp_front_250.jpg in Soundirok.

Finally, in the main Soundirok screen, at the top, select your device's dropdown menu, tap in the little gear icon and tap on "Clear local image cache", which will force a re-fetch of everything onto your iPad.

Let us know if that works... yes, all of the MPD apps are confusing to setup.

XMAN

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:38 pm »
Thanks a lot for that Krutsch do i need to set the URL in Soundirok?  The link in your reply didn't work.

Krutsch

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:17 pm »
Thanks a lot for that Krutsch do i need to set the URL in Soundirok?  The link in your reply didn't work.

This link:

So, my device settings look like this (at the bottom of that screen):

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/

...is for my BDP-1. If you have a BDP-2, you need to change it to match the name of your device. Or, alternatively, you can use the IP address.

This is the same URL you would put into MPaD and points to the MPD collection on your BDP.

Another example: it's the same link you use to access Manic Moose, but replace /bryston/ at the end with /music/, which is an MPD standard.

XMAN

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2016, 02:56 am »
This link:

...is for my BDP-1. If you have a BDP-2, you need to change it to match the name of your device. Or, alternatively, you can use the IP address.

This is the same URL you would put into MPaD and points to the MPD collection on your BDP.

Another example: it's the same link you use to access Manic Moose, but replace /bryston/ at the end with /music/, which is an MPD standard.

Thanks for the help  :thumb:

XMAN

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2016, 01:50 pm »
This link:

Hey Krutsch, just wondering where do you get your Artist cover JPEGS from since its for more than one album should be a generic pic.  Do you just make your own?

X

Krutsch

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2016, 03:58 pm »
Hey Krutsch, just wondering where do you get your Artist cover JPEGS from since its for more than one album should be a generic pic.  Do you just make your own?

X

Good question: I download them from http://www.allmusic.com, which has everything, including bios, album listings and images.

I've thought about writing a script to automate this, but for now I just pull them down manually.

By the way, this is exactly the same resource Roon uses for everything that display in their UI.

XMAN

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2016, 12:07 am »
Thanks you have been a big help what pain this is especially with the double and quadruple albums   

Krutsch

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2016, 03:44 am »
Thanks you have been a big help what pain this is especially with the double and quadruple albums

That really *is* the magic of Roon. With Roon, there is very little need to manage your album tags. Classical groupings and box sets are somewhat taken care of, depending on the support within their database.

XMAN

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm »
That really *is* the magic of Roon. With Roon, there is very little need to manage your album tags. Classical groupings and box sets are somewhat taken care of, depending on the support within their database.

I'm still having trouble with some albums with multiple artist Soundirok is making separate albums for each artist any ideas?

Krutsch

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2016, 02:27 am »
I'm still having trouble with some albums with multiple artist Soundirok is making separate albums for each artist any ideas?

This usually means your albums are NOT tagged with an Album Artist, but only Artist with different Artists within a single album. This is sort of a universal media player problem.

Here's a link to explain with more detail:

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/10/12/how-to-use-album_artist2

XMAN

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:22 am »
This usually means your albums are NOT tagged with an Album Artist, but only Artist with different Artists within a single album. This is sort of a universal media player problem.

Here's a link to explain with more detail:

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/10/12/how-to-use-album_artist2

The MPaD program seems to sort it out but  Soundirok does not

Krutsch

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:00 am »
The MPaD program seems to sort it out but  Soundirok does not

Well, sounds like MPaD is for you!

XMAN

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2016, 01:51 pm »
Well, sounds like MPaD is for you!

Both have aspects i like i will continue to tweek and thanks Krutsch i appreciate all of your help.

Krutsch

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:12 pm »
Both have aspects i like i will continue to tweek and thanks Krutsch i appreciate all of your help.

Send an e-mail to the author of the app - Daniel Kabel at: info@kvibes.de

He's been very responsive to me and other Bryston users. He's stated that he is working on a new version, so maybe your feedback could really help.

XMAN

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:48 am »
Send an e-mail to the author of the app - Daniel Kabel at: info@kvibes.de

He's been very responsive to me and other Bryston users. He's stated that he is working on a new version, so maybe your feedback could really help.

thanks i did cheers X

OgOgilby

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:54 am »
Soundirok 1.7 is looking pretty good so far. Looks like Daniel fixed the issues I was having with WAV files, which was holding me back from using the app  :thumb:

-Greg

Krutsch

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2016, 08:30 pm »
Soundirok 1.7 is looking pretty good so far. Looks like Daniel fixed the issues I was having with WAV files, which was holding me back from using the app  :thumb:

-Greg

I am curious how you are using WAV files with the BDP. I tried a few folders worth and (a) they don't even appear in Manic Moose, other than browsing by folder, and (b) with Soundirok all of the tracks have an index of one (1) (i.e. every song is Track #1).

Could be my tagging app, so if you have things working with WAV, I would be curious to read what you use for tagging.

For me, I used XLD (Mac) to transcode FLAC files to WAV and did enable the tagging stuff in XLD.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2016, 11:07 pm »
I think how the metadata in WAV files might be your problem.

Try (any) different ID3 editing software and see if the metadata loads correctly. Maybe someone more familiar with ID3 tagging for WAV files can chime in?

Krutsch

« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:40 pm »
I think how the metadata in WAV files might be your problem.

Try (any) different ID3 editing software and see if the metadata loads correctly. Maybe someone more familiar with ID3 tagging for WAV files can chime in?

Sure. XLD is sort of the gold standard for the Mac. I think, in general, since WAV metadata is not really defined in the file format, it will always be a hit-or-miss affair. I also accept that playing back FLAC will likely sound the same, so I've standardized on that format for my collection outside of iTunes.

It's interesting; the struggle with tagging and metadata really highlights the flaw of relying on the player to decode everything, as opposed to a server-side solution that can leverage a greater selection of libraries and have access to more RAM and CPU (e.g. Roon or MinimServer/DLNA).

I've read from others that Aurender and AURALiC have similar issues. Server side solutions seem to be very robust and correctly handle both copies of my collection (iTunes and FLAC/DLNA) without any mishaps or errors. Same with players like Audirvana or Vox. It's also a lot easier to manage playlists with a native app.