Odyssey Kismet Reference vs Liquid

pepperinca

Odyssey Kismet Reference vs Liquid
« on: 28 Mar 2023, 07:58 pm »
Has anyone compared the two floorstanders?

Comments on differences are appreciated!

JCarney

Re: Odyssey Kismet Reference vs Liquid
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2023, 08:41 pm »
The Kismet reference is a stand mount two way with a custom stand if desired. I'm not sure if it is included or not. The Liquid is a three way floor stander with the same mid and tweet as the reference, but with a revelator woofer for the lower end. Unfortunately, there is not page for the Liquid. The Kismet reference gets into the 30's, so in a small to medium room, no sub should be required. The Liquids I think were designed for larger rooms in mind for bass purposes, but keeping the mid and tweet section very close to the Kismet Reference cuz Klaus loves those beryllium tweeters from ScanSpeak, as well as the revelator line of drivers.

Hope this helps,
JCarney

https://odysseyaudio.com/kismet-reference-monitors-2/

pepperinca

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2023, 09:23 pm »
To be clear, I’m looking for comparisons from folks that have listened to them between the floorstand version of the Kismet Reference and the Liquids. Thank you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:19 pm »
I've heard them both, what would you like to know?

pepperinca

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:31 pm »
I’ve had a pair of Lorelei with the upgraded “kismet” crossover and thought I might try another Odyssey speaker.  I’m trying to understand the differences (timbre, detail, presentation, bass extension and impact) in a medium size room.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:56 pm »
Oh sorry, I've only heard the bookshelf vs the floorstanders.

pepperinca

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2023, 11:09 pm »
No problem at all!  I appreciate the response.

GeneS

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2023, 02:00 am »
@pepperinca     I’m going to take a stab at this. I had the Lorelei’s, as well, and I enjoyed them very much. Then I heard the Kismet References and bought those. They are everything you love about the Lorelei, but “more”. They go lower, play “bigger”, have amazing dispersion and imaging.
I have heard the Liquids several times at audio shows and a personal audition. The Liquids are everything you love about the Kismets, but “more”. Bigger yet, fuller, same incredible dispersion and imaging. I know that’s lame, but Im not really big on the audio review jargon, etc. I do love big, accurate, engaging sound and both speakers deliver it. The room you want to put them in will make a difference, as placement (of both the speaker and the listening position) will matter.
I’m counting on Klaus reviewing all this and correcting me where I’m wrong, but the Kismet References are monitors. Although they can look like floorstanders with the built in stands, only about the top third of the speaker is “speaker”. The beryllium tweeter (amazing dispersion) and Scanspeak midrange driver with a rear port. The Liquids have 2 midrange drivers and two rear ports. They play lower and “fuller”. They are true floorstanders.
The upgrade from the Lorelei to the Kismet is significant. The upgrade from the Kismet to the Liquid is big.
I hope this helps. Hopefully someone better equipped with the lingo will chime in.
Feel free to ask any questions. I’ll help if I can.

pepperinca

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2023, 02:21 am »
Thanks for the reply!

Here is a picture of the Kismet speakers I am thinking about:
https://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2014/pics6/odyssey_2.jpg

This is the info of the show room:
https://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2014/rmaf2014_odyssey.htm

GeneS

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2023, 11:06 am »
Yep! That’s what I’ve got! Mine are a different finish and are probably tweaked a little since ‘14, but that’s them. So, the top third +/- is the actual speaker. The bottom is the stand. So, visually, it does look like a floorstander. I don’t know what the specified frequency range is, but having heard these set up properly, you’re not giving up much at all in real world applications. They go shockingly low for what they are, they’re built like a tank, and I’ve never had a single minutes problem with them.
I’m only tempted (ok…obsessed) with the Liquids because they do more of everything my Kismets do. They positively disappear, especially in nearfield listening, and fill a room as well as any speaker I’ve heard at a significantly lower price.
I don’t know how he does it and I don’t want to.

pepperinca

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:15 pm »
Thanks for the info!

The pictures from the show look like they are absolutely a one-piece cabinet, floorstanding speaker.

The pictures on the Odyssey website look like what you are describing:
https://odysseyaudio.com/kismet-reference-monitors-2/

GeneS

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:37 pm »
Yep, and that’s the beauty of Odyssey and Klaus. He’ll make you what you want. So, your Kismet Reference can look like the one on the website, or the ones from the show in your link, or ones like mine:

pepperinca

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:43 pm »
Bespoke at real world prices!

To be clear, is the cabinet one piece or two pieces?

GeneS

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:47 pm »
One. And heavy as hell, at least for 1 person. Klaus kind of bear hugs them and manhandles them around😆

GeneS

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:50 pm »
You would not know that this isn’t a floorstander if you didn’t know. Thoroughly confused 🤷‍♂️?

pepperinca

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:56 pm »
It’s as clear as a smoothie.

qdrone

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2023, 04:12 pm »
Since I bought your Kismit speakers, the Liquids are a whole different  animal because of the Scanspeak drivers. I loved the Kismet Lorilai's I bought from you and their sitting in my garage  but the Liquids have high frequency exstension and air the Kismits didn't have. Also the Liquids extend one more octave in bass than your old speakers. The Kismets you had were 2 way,the Liquids are 2.5.  Hope this helps.

pepperinca

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2023, 05:02 pm »
That's what I wanted to hear . . . a direct comparison to my exact speakers  :D !

Hope you are doing great!!

qdrone

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2023, 05:22 pm »
Enjoying my retirement, hope your well. Also The Liquids are dual rear ported. Your Kismits have what you call a British Sound,warm,rolled off like tubes. The Liquids are airy,extended with no harshness. They are 4 ohm,125 watts is plenty and the Scanspeak drivers are worth it alone. Take care...
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2023, 10:43 pm by qdrone »

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2023, 06:38 pm »
All is clear as mud.