St Louis's Homegrown speaker company .......

drummerwill

St Louis's Homegrown speaker company .......
« on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:57 pm »

I'm talking about Audio Nirvana ... I've been thinking about having a small Full Range speaker pair to build a Small Hi-Eff Tower, to put in a 
  upstairs room. Then I remembered Audio Nirvana had a nice 8" FR and The owner of Audio Nirvana David Dicks lives here in Wildwood.

I met David many years ago before he started Audio Nirvana, he was a Used Tube HI-FI retailer in the early 1990's. I bought a University 312 Triaxial speaker from him in about 1995.

Yesterday I gave David a call and asked to purchase a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8" with Cast Frames, told him I'm in U. City and he asked if I wanted to pick them up. I was out at his place within an hour. At the frront door David let me in and had the new speakers waiting there for me.
 In the conversation I mentioned I also own a pair of GPA 604 III's, thats when he asked me to take off my shoes and come downstair to hear something.

What he wanted me to hear was his Audio Nirvana 15" Full Ranges in Stonehenge Cabinets.... to say the least would be , they sounded fantastic.
 That 15" really puts out a nice wide image, with highs that were well up there, and a nice solid firm bass.... mids of Allison Kraus was life like.
 There was one guitar solo done on another Fusion ensemble that was so sweet.... I mean really sweet.

David was driving the 15's with one of his amps and we got into a conversation about the merits of Push-Pull vs SET, after about 10 mins of debate, we agreed I would bring out one of my SET amps for a shootout...... That should be fun!

Then on the conversation went to Cars, and into his garage to see his lift... David is a real character !

I had a great time with David at his place , he was so hospitible.. and great guy to talk with about music and cars. I'm so glad I went out to
   pick up those  Super 8's

Oh Yeah, those Super 8's....... this morning I mounted them on some baffles and letting them play..

Have fun
     Willie

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: St Louis's Homegrown speaker company .......
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:32 pm »
Cool. That sounds like a good time.
What kind of car does he have?

Bob

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:31 pm »
Maybe David should become active in GAS. . .I've never heard of his company before.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:15 am »
I agree Bob.
Willie....did you do your duty as a loyal GASian and pimp your local internet audio forum?  :wink:

drummerwill

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:59 am »

So for now I have them in baffles atop my MTLT 604's

Been playing with Bi amps.

Have fun!

Willie

drummerwill

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2012, 06:15 am »

Yeah Cars ...... David showed me his wife's Mini Cooper , his Turbo-Charged Pontiac Sunfire convert. I think a Chevy Blazer, I could see over in the distance ,his Chevy HHR Super Sport, that thing has a Turbocharger and a Electronics package that monitors everything , and his 2004 Cadillac Big Car, he's got a collection . When i told him I own a Z06 , then  he told me he just sold a Viper thats what started the car conversation .

As I said I had a great time with him and he has a great story to tell about his love of Music, building speaker designs and business.

Have fun

Willie

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:26 pm »
Cool. Sounds like a lotta fun Willie.  :D