Thelonius Monk

Rclark

Thelonius Monk
« on: 2 Aug 2012, 05:37 am »

Was rewatching parts of the Ken Burns doc and came to the section on him. Seems like a good one to collect. Where to start? Mind you I'm on cd not vinyl.

batch68

Re: Thelonius Monk
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:58 pm »
Live at Carnegie Hall w/ John Coltrane is a fine place to start.

batch

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:17 pm »
also the CD titled "Himself" is sweet.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:23 pm »
The Complete Blue Note Recordings
Monk's Music.

Doc

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:27 pm »
My favorite on CD.

And a close second.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:54 pm »
It has to be "Straight No Chaser" for me!

CSI

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:49 pm »

Enjoy your Monk explorations but be careful. If you immerse yourself in Monk's genius long enough you will begin to think all other jazz piano players are doing it wrong!

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:59 pm »
"Solo Monk" and "Thelonius in Action"

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:07 pm »
Thanks fellas, I'll head up to the record shop and eeenie meenie one of those. Have some points to use.

doorman

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:18 pm »
All of the above, and also including "Underground"
Seminal musician, a true treasure!
Don

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:35 pm »
This DVD is superb.

I enjoy several of his releases. This one seems best recorded:

coverto

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:15 am »
Start with "The Genius of Modern Music," Vols. I and II. Those are the seminal Blue Note recordings he made in the late 40s and early 50s, and they're a nice version that was 24-bit remastered by Rudy Van Gelder in 2001. In the opinion of many (mine included), these seminal sessions are among his greatest, when all the stuff was pouring fresh out of his head.

The Prestige recordings are also great - some awesome sessions with Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins. His great Riverside recordings are also essential, maybe his peak period in some respects, most notably his masterwork "Brilliant Corners" (a great one to scoop up if you're not afraid of the more far-out end of the spectrum), "Monk's Music" and "Himself" IMO. The Riverside recordings are also wonderful from a technical standpoint.

Personally (and it's not an unusual opinion), I find the later Columbia recordings a bit lifeless and clinical by comparison - inferior rehashings of the earlier stuff.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:21 am »

Wow! Thank you so much guys. I have a feeling I'm going to love his stuff, if so these will all find a way into my collection.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:00 am »
This DVD is superb.

+1 on the Straight No Chaser documentary.

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:03 am »
... I may just do that first.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:55 am »
There is a DVD about a Baroness known as "Nica" from Europe's Rothchild family who was Monk's constant companion and patroness even at the cost of her marriage and family.  She even did a stint for him.  In the DVD, it is said that a friend played "Round Midnight" for her on a record player and she was so entranced that she became his companion/friend for the rest of his life.  I suppose the jazz world had something to do with that, too, but that was the beginning according to close friends.  In this video, Chico Hamilton recalls a conversation with Monk's bassist, Wilber Ware, I believe at the time, who says, "Man, I've played with cats who could play all the white keys and I've played with cats who could play all the black keys, but I ain't never played with a cat who could play inbetween the keys".  Monk is an original, alright.  His music is fresh today.

If this is the doc rockadanny is talking about, I didn't know.  Missed that if it is.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2012, 05:16 am by jimdgoulding »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:48 am »
Thelonious Monk "Straight No Chaser" video...here

.....niiiiiiiiice  :thumb:

thank you!

(and I just noticed the new official YouTube app for PS3, so I will watch this in full screen, audio through my system)

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:20 am »

Picked up Monk, Solo Monk (remaster), and the Music from Straight No Chaser... looks like a good start.