Final Impressions of Bella SP/AV-1 from Response Audio

audiojerry

In my initial review, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23735,
I felt the Bella's were not fully burned in, and I decided to give them more playing time before making my final evaluation. But even by then, I realized that they had achieved a higher level of performance over the Essence.

With nearly 200 hours of burn-in, the Bellas have evolved into a very impressive speaker. Without waiting until the end of my review, I will state right away that I believe the Response Audio mod to the Essence is well worth the investment. If I were an Essence owner, I'd be thrilled to know I could take my already great speaker and turn it into a significantly better speaker.    

Now if you are interested in some details, this is what I heard:

I should first point out that I had to use my 4 pillar 24" tall sand filled steel speaker stands. They are very good stands, but too tall for the Bellas. The Bellas should have been at least 4-6" lower to get the tweeter at or below ear level. It also gets the midbass lower to the floor, which may help enhance the low-end response.

Another observation is the highly effective waveguide. It really helps to project strongly into the room, which I think has a lot to do with the large soundstage and dynamic punch of the Bella. However, for me I was not accustomed to this, so I personally preferred the Bellas set up with significant toe-in - about 35-40 degrees. Changing toe-in / toe-out can make a big difference in the way the Bella will perform for you.      

I first compared the Bella directly to my ProAc Response 2.5 floorstanders. This is what my ProAc looks like if you haven't seen one.

Next to it is my former, and still favorite, Dynaudio Special 25. I got the 2.5 at a really good price because of the chip near the bottom. If you want to see what a Bella looks like, Bill has taken some great photos on his website: http://www.responseaudio.com/bellaspeakergallery.htm
Here's one photo from his site:

As I point out my impressions, bear in mind that these comments are based on how one speaker sounded in relation to the other, and not necessarily how I would describe the speaker if I were comparing it to some other speaker.

These are my notes from the ProAC/Bella comparison

The ProAc's are lush, warm, mellow, and laid back in comparison to the Bella. Compared to some other speaker this would probably not be the case.

The Bella is clean, cool, clear, and more forward.

Each speaker is what I would consider high-rez. They each provide lots of information and allow the listener to hear deeply into the recording. With the ProAc, the beauty is in the midrange. With the Bella, the beauty is in the neutrality.    

The low frequency response seemed fairly close. This was somewhat surpising, because the Bella's response is listed at 50hz -2db. The ProAc's have very good bass for a speaker its size, and I believe is publicized in the low 30's or upper 20's. However, the Bella's bass is punchier with greater perceived speed. Don't expect these results, however, until you've gotten at least 100 hours on them.  

The Bella's have much more power handling capacity than the ProAc's. They can really crank out the spl's with ease. The Bella's can really rock - big time!  

Each speaker is hi-rez. They each have the ability to dig deeply into the recording and extract the low level details. With the ProAc the beauty is in the midrange. With the Bella, the beauty is in the neutrality.

The ProAc had a list price of $4500. The Bella is currently available for 10% of its introductory price of $2100.

These are my notes from the Essence/Bella comparison

Bearing in mind that the Essence and Bella use the same drivers and same cabinets, they share a certain degree of similarity in the sonic signature. The Bella just takes it all to another level.

The Bella is more resolving. It is readily apparent that when listening to the Bella that a veil has been lifted. Individual notes are more easily distinguished. When listening to cymbals or triangles, the striking of these instruments are crisper and more distinct.

Performers on the soundstage are more clearly defined with greater separation between them. It is easier to visualize a virtual stage in front of you

The texture and timbre of instruments and voice are a more lifelike and realistic.

Finally, the bass is better defined. The plucking of the strings and the resonance of the wood body are more lifelike. This ranks very high for me because I love stand-up bass. Too many speakers and too many systems just don't get the bass right. It may be deep and punchy, but lacking in complex woody timbre that breathes life into the music.    

Actually, one final observation. The Bella sounded less boxy, which I think was the result of elimination of the ringing resonance I noted in the Essence, probably accomplished in some measure by the use of better damping material in the cabinets.  

My best advice to anyone would be to definitely give the Essence a try - why not with SP Technology's fabulous audition offer, and if you like it, you would really like what Response Audio does in transforming it into the Bella.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2005, 04:57 am »
Thanks a million for taking the time to audition and post your findings on the Bella SP/AV-1 loudspeaker.

As you noted, the Bella speakers are quite different from the Essence. There is some circuitry and internal cabinet workings that are not found within the Essence. Also, the Bella crossover is significantly different utilizing some very highly regarded components including names such as V-Cap OIMP, V-Cap Teflon, Solen, Mills, Air Core, etc.

The secret in cabinet resonance control lies within the ............ (sorry, confidential). Actually, I have taken several years of experimentation and came up with a combination of internal components that help control resonance without over damping the cabinet. This is what provides the midrange quality you mention. One of the main aspects I wanted to concentrate on with the Bella design was just the right combination of texture and realism.

For any Essence owner interested in Bella upgrading, you are more than welcome to contact me. I am working on a webpage on my site that will not be published but I will provide the link. This page will contain all the information and pricing as well as full details of what to expect and the proper procedure involved.

It should be functional sometime next week.

Thanks again Jerry for your time and efforts.

Happy Holidays to you, yours and everyone following this thread.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:50 pm »
Jerry,

It's always a pleasure to read your comments on gear.  Please let me know if you ever plan to have any people over to check out some of the cool toys you always have!  Also, have a great Christmas.

Take care,

J

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2005, 03:15 pm »
Jerry,

What amp were you using?

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2005, 11:24 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Jerry,

What amp were you using?

Hi woodsyi,
I'm using my Audio Research VT200 - 200wpc tubed

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2005, 11:31 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Jerry,

It's always a pleasure to read your comments on gear.  Please let me know if you ever plan to have any people over to check out some of the cool toys you always have!  Also, have a great Christmas.

Take care,

J

Hey Jackman, you know you and Michelle, and family are welcome anytime. It seems like I have a lot of toys, but in they come and out they go.   :lol:
I only own my single 2 channel system with no duplication of components.

I'm always willing to host a get-together, but you've had some great get-togethers yourself. How's your system coming along?

But really, the guy who should have a session is alotofklipsch in Wilmette. Have you seen all the gear he's accumulating? I think he may be out-collecting LoneWolf!   :mrgreen:

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2005, 11:42 pm »
My goal is to out build Lonewolf!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2005, 09:21 am »
audiojerry :
    But really, the guy who should have a session is alotofklipsch in Wilmette. Have you seen all the gear he's accumulating? I think he may be out-collecting LoneWolf!
    [/list:u]
      What....  :o  ....no, can't be...why...because he also sells his gear...I buy and hold.... :lol: [/list:u]
        But...I agree....you guys should get together for a listening session !!! 8) [/list:u]
          Nice review Jerry.... :beer: [/list:u]

audiojerry

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2005, 09:25 am »
      Thanks LW.
      PS: I'm posting this at 3:25am. A new record for me. Been up since 5am, so it's getting close to 24 hours. I'll be useless tomorrow.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
      « Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2005, 09:32 am »
      Quote from: audiojerry
      Thanks LW.
      PS: I'm posting this at 3:25am. A new record for me. Been up since 5am, so it's getting close to 24 hours. I'll be useless tomorrow.
      It is tomorrow..... :lol: