Audition opportunities

vettett15

Audition opportunities
« on: 27 Dec 2023, 06:41 pm »
Hey

I'm interested in building some NX Octicas and I'm curious what audition opportunities there are next year.  Is GR research or some other vendors (using their speakers) planning on attending one of the many studio shows going on next year?

I saw the sticky thread but doesn't look like there are any of these speakers listed there for the central Florida area.

Thanks
Pete

AK-Grwn_v2

Re: Audition opportunities
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2023, 07:26 pm »
Heh! I was thinking the same! I am leaving the icebox next month for a couple weeks.

Anyone in the central Virginia area or within a couple hours that may have an nxotica or nxtreme for audition?

I also looked on the audition thread and didn't see any.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2023, 07:38 pm »
I'm also in Central FL and would be interested in the same thing.  NX-Otica / NX-Studio... 220, 221, whatever it takes.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:17 pm »
If it were me, I'd do a quick flight to Texas and demo the full suite of loudspeakers at the GR Research listening facility. 

jmimac351

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:53 pm »
If it were me, I'd do a quick flight to Texas and demo the full suite of loudspeakers at the GR Research listening facility.

I may do that... someone local would be handy too.  Sometimes you can make your own luck by letting others know.

vettett15

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2023, 10:51 pm »
Agreed, that might be the right move.  My hope was I could do a trip to one of the audio expo events and listen to a wide variety of speakers.

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2023, 05:17 am »
I’d Create a post titled, “seeking audition of NX Series in Florida…”. I’ve made tons of friends in this hobby and that’s how I found several now decade long friendships that started with auditions of GR Research speakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:16 pm »
There is a pair set up pretty well in Cape Coral, Fl. I will message him about this thread.

vettett15

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:47 pm »
Danny, that'd be great, appreciate the help. I assume you don't have any plans to attend (with speakers) any of the 2024 events?

jmimac351

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:59 pm »
Thank Danny.  My buddy doing the other pair of Wilson Duette is down that way in Sarasota.  He has interest in this as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:24 am »
Danny, that'd be great, appreciate the help. I assume you don't have any plans to attend (with speakers) any of the 2024 events?

Right now the shows are just not making a lot of sense to me. The customer acquisition cost is high, and we are seeing the same people at the shows. Those people are an older generation. If we don't start really reaching the next and younger generation then we are going to eventually die out. 

jmimac351

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2023, 06:12 am »
For the NX stuff... I have little doubt that I will like the midrange drivers.  I have had Magnepan 3.7i and have tasted the "rightness" of OB.  The low end is moot... it will be handled with subs.  I am a "Soft Dome Tweeter Guy".  The main thing I need to "know" is the tweeter.  With how low the Neo plays in the waveguide, I suspect that is going to tell me the story I want to know, and give me a good taste of the sauce, and whether I like the taste of that sauce.  Isn't that tweeter a big part of the reason why the Studio and Otica sound so good, and have the magic?  That one driver is responsible for a big part of the story, and what I will be listening for and to.  If I don't like it, I'm not going to be able to live with it.  I bet I will like it, but that's a big bet...

A pair of NX-Studio, coated with Duratex and ready for battle with UPS / FedEx, that can be shipped around... call them, "The Tackle Boxes", because they are designed to lure you in. :green:

A test drive in My room, with My gear, etc.  I have all Ayre gear... Zero Negative Feedback and Balanced.  It is "different", and I LOVE it. I want to hear that tweeter with my zero feedback amp.  "So, this is what it will be like to live with this...".  No audition will match that, for me.

Shipping those Tackle Boxes will cost a lot less than a flight / car / time... and a listen in an unfamiliar room with limited amount of time... and it could make all the difference.  But, skin in the game?  "Free listening sessions cost money".  Ok, the test drive costs the recipient shipping... maybe work something special towards a purchase after, throw something in of value but of little tangible cost / credit... upgrade to Sonicaps at cost, whatever...   

Just an idea, with a credit card on file in case the Tackle Boxes stay on someone's boat...

Stercom

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:00 pm »
Right now the shows are just not making a lot of sense to me. The customer acquisition cost is high, and we are seeing the same people at the shows. Those people are an older generation. If we don't start really reaching the next and younger generation then we are going to eventually die out.
Yep, I was at CAF this year. It was mostly older, white guys acting like they could afford the crazy expensive stuff being sold. The dynamics and demographics need to change or this hobby we love will be gone.

vettett15

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:46 pm »
I've seen the same for the shows I've been to, typically find myself (mid 30s) being on the younger side.  I wonder if the issue is a combination of finances/room for the hobby or if they are more interested in using convenient and typically lower hifi devices such as direct from the phone or in ear headphones.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:51 pm »
If we don't start really reaching the next and younger generation then we are going to eventually die out.

Does it count that I often behave at a sophomore level?  :lol:

Unfortunately I think this is a much bigger cultural and socioeconomic shift than just old guys only playing Pink Floyd and Wagner at audio shows. I think a huge part of this still comes back to the lasting effects of the 2008 market crash and the split in people who were established enough in their life to be stable through that and the majority of people who struggled through it. Top it off with the economical squeeze most americans find themselves in with expenses vs wages ratio being double what it was 30 or 40 years ago it's no wonder younger generation doesn't have the disposable income for an audio system in a dedicated listening room. This is not really the place to go off on that big of a tangent but that's just my $0.02.

Danny, please keep showing how DIY can be a fun and affordable way to quality audio enjoyment.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2023, 07:22 pm »
There actually is a vibrant community of young hifi enthusiasts, they are over on Head-Fi and they are into very nice personal audio gear (headphones).  They love music and they love audio but often don't have the space for a full stereo setup.  Also it's possible to get a top flight headphone rig for a lot less money than a top flight stereo setup. 

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2023, 07:52 pm »
Let's face it -- how many young people can drop several grand on an amp? This hobby is for people who have plenty of money and many of us don't usually get there until we're older and the children are grown and gone. That's why you mostly see old white dudes at audio shows. Sure, you can dabble in the sub-$1,000 per-component arena for a while, but that ain't gonna get you high-performing audiophile-quality sound.

Don't expect any future growth in this hobby. The opposite is far more likely. Young people won't embrace this hobby unless several technological breakthroughs in the next decade result in lower production costs (doubtful), prices dramatically decrease (they won't), or the size of their bank accounts increases (unlikely). Youth love the convenience of gadgets that can perform multiple tasks. That's why I think the future of high-end audio is in all-in-one systems and the super-niche of audio separates will shrink significantly.   

Stercom

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2023, 08:07 pm »
Early B - I think you’re right about all that, unfortunately.  I do wish the audio press would cover the direct high value companies more such as GR Research, AVA, Philharmonic, DIY Pass to name a few.  I recommend those companies as much as possible. And, to get back on topic, we should invite as many people (old & young) over to audition our systems as possible. 

VinceT

« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2023, 10:39 pm »
There actually is a vibrant community of young hifi enthusiasts, they are over on Head-Fi and they are into very nice personal audio gear (headphones).  They love music and they love audio but often don't have the space for a full stereo setup.  Also it's possible to get a top flight headphone rig for a lot less money than a top flight stereo setup.

Seems like a lot of the popular modern music is mixed to be played on headphones being the younger generation seem to prefer them.

Huskerbryce

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2023, 07:17 am »
I am 45 years old, I have worked in the audio industry, been interested in hi-fi audio since I was a teenager.  My teenage boys love hifi.  Im trying to continue the generational love of real music and reproduction. I started out owning yamaha and sony es gear and slowly moved to more hi-fi as I progressed in age/career/income.  I have grown to enjoy the hobby more if I build it myself.  I appreciate more expensive equipment. Although I can afford high-end equipment, I prefer (do it yourself) and buy from “the little guy” like GR and AVA etc.  I have 2 open baffle “double trouble” subs from GR that I am in love with.  Changed my life with bass in music.  I really want to build some oticas or xtremes but I need confirmation they can recreate loud hi dynamic hi spl levels of the live discs and movies I watch.  I have AVA DVM 750 mono amps that I love and some DIY statement 2 speakers I built.  I think the otica would be an upgrade but I want to hear loud dynamic slam.  Like metallica on bluray live or star wars cranked up to movie theater levels to make sure that at 110db explosive peaks they dont come apart.  If anyone can come up with a solution to hear some oticas or xtremes I am all ears.