Super Mini with Radian LM10N experiment

mkrawcz

Super Mini with Radian LM10N experiment
« on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:06 pm »
I managed to get some front baffles of the original Super Mini to put together using the new Radian LM10N midrange driver plus the GR Neo3. My plan is to send a built speaker to Danny with the drivers so he can measure and come up with a crossover. Below is a test fit of the Radian driver. The driver fits perfectly into the outer recess, however, because the frame of LM10 is flush compared to the old NEO10, the LM10 is set back 1/4 in from the tweeter. They will likely require a bit of crossover tweaking.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Super Mini with Radian LM10N experiment
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2023, 04:27 pm »
This is going to be interesting, and I'll preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing; however, when you look at that Radian driver... I wonder how that's gonna work.  The page for the driver mentions it being "ideal as a midrange driver".  When I look at the curve for it, it looks like it's gonna have to come down to at least 92db... and then around 500hz the questions start, because it keeps going down from there.  I just wonder, what's gonna fill that hole down to the sub? 

This is going to be interesting to watch.  Like I said, I'm stoopid.  :popcorn:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2023, 04:54 pm »
I'd guess that gap between the front of the driver and the back of the waveguide will cause more problems than can be fixed with a little tweaking. It looks like that would create a lot of reflections and turbulent air flow. You could use a pattern bit with a trim router to cut the recess deep enough that the face of the driver is flush to the back of the waveguide. The tricky part would be the section between the midrange and tweeter where there isn't anything for the guide bearing to follow. You need to fill in the gap with a straight piece that is the same thickness as the depth of the current recess. Double stick tape this piece into place.

mkrawcz

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2023, 05:22 pm »
I'd guess that gap between the front of the driver and the back of the waveguide will cause more problems than can be fixed with a little tweaking. It looks like that would create a lot of reflections and turbulent air flow. You could use a pattern bit with a trim router to cut the recess deep enough that the face of the driver is flush to the back of the waveguide. The tricky part would be the section between the midrange and tweeter where there isn't anything for the guide bearing to follow. You need to fill in the gap with a straight piece that is the same thickness as the depth of the current recess. Double stick tape this piece into place.
I may try and use some weather stripping to fill in the gap.

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2023, 05:25 pm »
This is going to be interesting, and I'll preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing; however, when you look at that Radian driver... I wonder how that's gonna work.  The page for the driver mentions it being "ideal as a midrange driver".  When I look at the curve for it, it looks like it's gonna have to come down to at least 92db... and then around 500hz the questions start, because it keeps going down from there.  I just wonder, what's gonna fill that hole down to the sub? 

This is going to be interesting to watch.  Like I said, I'm stoopid.  :popcorn:
The wave guide of the baffle is meant to work on all that.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2023, 05:56 pm »
one suggestion would be obtaining some balsa wood, and create a frame around the perimeter of wavegide area. It sands down like butter, very easy to shape. Once you obtain the fit between the two surfaces to your satisfaction, I would seal the wood with epoxy glue. Just brush it on lightly, the wood will obsorb it. This will make the wood spacer / frame more rigid as well. If you wanted to glue the balsa frame directly to the front baffle, or just butt it up is up to you. Then you can finish it to what ever color of your choice.

There are many resources online for balsa wood, here is one. This company can even laser cut it for you.
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts

McMaster Carr is another good resource, if you decide to use a particular type of rubber compound strips around the perimeter too.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rubber/rubber~/

Good Luck

jmimac351

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2023, 06:23 pm »
The wave guide of the baffle is meant to work on all that.

Well, Giddy Up...

mkrawcz

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2023, 04:57 pm »
I had a revelation the other day that my coworker is into laser cutting. I asked if he could make a couple fill in pieces for me out of Baltic Birch ply and he said no problem. I sent him the measurements and had them the next day.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2023, 05:30 pm »
Very clever!  :thumb:

jmimac351

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2023, 05:31 pm »
I need to show this to my friends and tell them they need to step their game up and provide more value to our friendship.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2023, 05:53 pm »
I had a revelation the other day that my coworker is into laser cutting. I asked if he could make a couple fill in pieces for me out of Baltic Birch ply and he said no problem. I sent him the measurements and had them the next day.

👍👍

mkrawcz

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2023, 08:30 pm »
Attn: Mike Lundy, or any other U.S. wood workers. Do you happen know where I can get 5/8in MDF? I have to cut out the long wings on these myself and Lowes and Home Depot do not have that size MDF.

jmimac351

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2023, 01:19 am »
Attn: Mike Lundy, or any other U.S. wood workers. Do you happen know where I can get 5/8in MDF? I have to cut out the long wings on these myself and Lowes and Home Depot do not have that size MDF.

How about if you got a couple of thinner pieces, glued them together, then made a new, local friend with a planer who could shave them down to your desired thickness?  And / or, find a local woodworking supply / machine vendor to ask for ideas / how to make a friend to do it... if not the person you're speaking to in the store.  "Hey, can you help me with this?"  If that's an ignorant idea, it's because I have no idea what I'm doing with woodworking... but I know how to make friends with tools / knowledge... so maybe not so stoopid.  :thumb:

Maybe call Killian at Denton Woodworkers and see if he can bust out a couple of cuts, if simple enough. 

AlexH

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2023, 02:55 am »
Check you local lumber yard and see if they can order a sheet for you. Or find a place who will plane some 3/4" down for you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2023, 02:09 pm »

Around here, Home Depot and a local business carries 5/8” MDF.  Call around your local area. Somebody may carry it. If not, laminating up your own is a viable option. I do it all the time then I need 1-1/2” thick pieces

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2023, 06:13 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress with this. Super Minis always fascinated me even though they really wouldn't work for my space at all. It'd be cool if they actually do work well with the Radian option (and maybe someone even makes a Super 7 mkII down the road). Mostly I just love watching others experiment with cool projects.  :popcorn:

mkane

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2023, 12:06 am »
Our's are somewhat dialed.