Okay guys. I need a little help finding a receiver.

Danny Richie

I get asked by my customers all the time to recommend a receiver to drive our X Series models and even our new LGK models. I need to pick one up as well. I need a new one. I gave one of mine away to my parents.

I never get to dabble in receivers. Most of them are super similar from brand to brand in how they are made and what features they have.

Hobbs and I were even discussing it earlier. Most people don't need one loaded with 20 different inputs and variations. I don't. I need one with two HDMI inputs and that's about it. Two sub outputs would be nice and a way to pick a low end roll off limit to the main speakers.

I really don't need more than five channels either. The wife and I are either watching something on TV (satellite service) or through Apple TV.

What I am after is quality, of coarse.

So what do you guys recommend?

jpm

Re: Okay guys. I need a little help finding a receiver.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2023, 11:32 pm »
I've had great luck with a succession of Denon receivers and one Marantz (Same corp.) and have a 10 year old X4000 that's been in constant daily use. For surround sound their Audyssey configuration utility is easy to use and very good, comes in two different versions (XT and XT32) which is a model differentiator.

Denon are currently running a 30% discount on their refurbished models but compare prices to Accessories4less, the latter also for other major brands refurbished offerings and I've bought from them many times.

Good luck finding what works for you. I'm sure others will chime in with other recommendations!

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2023, 11:46 pm »
Current streaming technology supports Dolby Atmos 5 Channel

Couple ways you could do, it you want the best quality I would get a processor (Marantz and Denon are fine) and get a really nice 5 channel amp (Classe, BAT, ATI)

There are some really nice integrated units like Anthem, I have a Denon 4700X, pretty cheap and affordable, solid mid-fi from assessoriesforless.com

I will say streaming multi-channel stereo music through my AVR with your speakers sound pretty freakin good!

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2023, 01:18 am by VinceT »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm »
It’s been a while since I had a receiver but back when I did, I liked the sound of the NAD gear.  Anthem and Outlaw were also good.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2023, 12:09 am »
I looked at receivers and home theater processors after my Outlaw 975 processor died. Yes they all look the same with reviews ranging from "love it" to "POS." I eliminated any receiver/processor that had a wide range of opinions from great to poor, too much of a crap shoot for me.

There is one manufacturer that consistently gets 100% positive ratings - Anthem. What sets Anthem apart is clarity without any harshness, an important element for home theater, and the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) that has infinite advanced curve adjustments and can balance multiple subs.

I got the Anthem AVM60 processor and use a mix of old Van Alstine and Adcom amps from my electronics closet for the surround channels. These old amps have plenty of current to handle the huge dynamic peaks in some action movies.

The Anthem sound quality is far superior to the Outlaw. The Outlaw sounded muffled compared to the Anthem, I'm glad it died.

The Anthem receivers always get good reviews too.

mkrawcz

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2023, 12:23 am »
Marantz NR1510.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2023, 12:54 am »
I looked at receivers and home theater processors after my Outlaw 975 processor died. Yes they all look the same with reviews ranging from "love it" to "POS." I eliminated any receiver/processor that had a wide range of opinions from great to poor, too much of a crap shoot for me.

There is one manufacturer that consistently gets 100% positive ratings - Anthem. What sets Anthem apart is clarity without any harshness, an important element for home theater, and the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) that has infinite advanced curve adjustments and can balance multiple subs.

I got the Anthem AVM60 processor and use a mix of old Van Alstine and Adcom amps from my electronics closet for the surround channels. These old amps have plenty of current to handle the huge dynamic peaks in some action movies.

The Anthem sound quality is far superior to the Outlaw. The Outlaw sounded muffled compared to the Anthem, I'm glad it died.

The Anthem receivers always get good reviews too.

Anthem is on sale right now…I think it is 15% off list.

https://www.anthemav.com/

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2023, 12:55 am »
I get asked by my customers all the time to recommend a receiver to drive our X Series models and even our new LGK models. I need to pick one up as well. I need a new one. I gave one of mine away to my parents.

I never get to dabble in receivers. Most of them are super similar from brand to brand in how they are made and what features they have.

Hobbs and I were even discussing it earlier. Most people don't need one loaded with 20 different inputs and variations. I don't. I need one with two HDMI inputs and that's about it. Two sub outputs would be nice and a way to pick a low end roll off limit to the main speakers.

I really don't need more than five channels either. The wife and I are either watching something on TV (satellite service) or through Apple TV.

Budget?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2023, 12:59 am »
This refurbished Denon 3800 will be tough to beat for $1k.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3800h-rb/denon-avr-x3800h-9.4-ch-x-105-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Gives you all the features you wanted…even 4 subs!

I am using last year’s 3700 model in my HT and it sounds darn good.

George

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2023, 01:09 am »
I've heard really good things every time I've listened to Emotiva gear. Their current offerings (MR1L) have more channels than what you're requiring for their HT line. They also have a stereo receiver (TA2) but those dont come with hdmi in although you could use a toslink out from your tv for an eARC connection. Their build and sound quality seems to be on point compared to their competitors. Yes they are assembled in the usa with globally sourced components, but that's still better than some other mfg. Of course Anthem is always a solid option for buying quality, but it'll cost a few bucks to do that. Marantz high end stuff sounds good, but their Best Buy level receivers are pretty meh. You've sold enough new speaker kits lately... go ahead and treat yourself.  :lol:

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2023, 01:15 am »
"Refurbished" Marantz AVRs from Accessories for Less is probably the best value out there. Pure speculation on my part, but my guess is the full height units will sound better than their half height units.

One perspective on Marantz, a local uber high end dealer rebuilt a friend's home theater system using a Marantz AVR to power all channels. The front  L/R speakers in the setup list price is $10K.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2023, 02:34 am »
Does it have to be a receiver? 

https://www.schiit.com/products/syn

Just need a multichannel amp.  Or a few stereo amps.  Or a bunch of monoblocks.

AllanS

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:10 am »
Lots of good options provided.  I have an NAD AVR and like it but Anthem would be tops of those suggested.  All are likely going to be beastly and have 10x more stuff on the back than you want.

If you’re considering 2 ch options you might have a look at Marantz Stereo 70s. 
https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/stereo70s
It has 3 times more HDMI than you’re looking for and a whole lot more but includes 2 configurable sub outs.  I have no idea what configurable means but I’m sure it’s explained somewhere in the 200 page owners manual.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:47 am »
One thing to keep in mind is that even though a receiver has two subwoofer outputs, they may not be independently configurable. A lot of times, the two outputs are paralleled. When you read the manual you find you can only do one configuration and the results are sent to both subwoofers. This can apply even to expensive AVRs. For example, NAD's flagship AVR the T778 falls into this category.

I have been using Marantz SR series AVRs for many years. I had an SR7008 in my main system until I replaced it with an ARCAM AV40 Pre/Pro a couple years ago. The SR7008 was moved into the living room system. The SR7008 has two subwoofer outputs but they cannot be configured independently. Most of the SR series receivers have been replaced with the Cinema series. The only SR still available is the SR8015. It's subwoofer outputs are independently configurable as are Cinema 40 and Cinema 50.

ARCAM: the AVR20, AVR21, AVR31 as well as the pre-pros AV40 and AV41 allow independent control of multiple subwoofers through Dirac Live Bass control. However, while a Dirac live license is included with the unit, the bass control software is a separate purchase from Dirac Live with the multi subwoofer version costing $499.

I prefer the ARCAM AV40 pre/pro (the AV41 is the latest model) to the AVRs for two reasons. First, I prefer balanced connections and the pre/pro has both single ended and balanced outputs while the AVRs only have single ended outputs. Second, I connect the AV40's main speaker outputs to one of the inputs of my two channel preamp that I configure for HT by-pass which allows me to use the main power amps and speakers for both music and HT. This means I only need amplification for two surround channels  and I'd rather put the money into two separate amps than pay for five amplifiers that I wouldn't use with an AVR.

Denon: The AVR-X3800H, AVR-X4800H, AVR-X8500HA, and AVR-A1H all have independently configurable subwoofer outputs. While I've had Denons in the past, I preferred the sound of the Marantz SR series receivers so those are all that I used until the ARCAM AV40.

I only know of Anthem by reputation never having heard any of their products. Their MRX540, MRX740, and MRX1140 AVRs all have multiple independently configurable subwoofer outputs.

Mike

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:51 am »
Marantz NR1510.

Danny, I owned a Marantz PM11S2 and thought the sound quality was good, and I think Marantz is generally known for pretty good sound quality - as far is this level of stuff goes.  I was recently looking for another receiver for TV use, with HDMI.  I figured a way to do what I needed without HDMI, so I stuck with my Yamaha S301, which I like.  I think the NR1510 mentioned above might not be a bad option.  It's not a ton of money, isn't a huge unit, and has the crossover feature you mentioned - including a multi-band EQ.  You can probably dial it in to exactly how you want it to sound for TV use.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/nr1510

gene9p

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:53 am »
check https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/...as well as  https://www.accessories4less.com/..great deals on new and refurbs..easy returns too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:03 am »
Danny, I owned a Marantz PM11S2 and thought the sound quality was good, and I think Marantz is generally known for pretty good sound quality - as far is this level of stuff goes.  I was recently looking for another receiver for TV use, with HDMI.  I figured a way to do what I needed without HDMI, so I stuck with my Yamaha S301, which I like.  I think the NR1510 mentioned above might not be a bad option.  It's not a ton of money, isn't a huge unit, and has the crossover feature you mentioned - including a multi-band EQ.  You can probably dial it in to exactly how you want it to sound for TV use.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/nr1510

fifteen years ago when I finally talked my now wife into upgrading from her Onkyo HT in a box AVR she wanted a Marantz NR receiver. I tried to tell her she wouldn't like it and the Marantz SR5007 would be a much better option but she insisted. We took the NR home, I swapped out the Onkyo, started playing music and she was immediately underwhelmed. The NR sounded anemic even compared to the Onkyo. The next day the NR went back, the SR5007 went into the system. This was a huge step up from the Onkyo and she was pleased.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:08 am »
fifteen years ago when I finally talked my now wife into upgrading from her Onkyo HT in a box AVR she wanted a Marantz NR receiver. I tried to tell her she wouldn't like it and the Marantz SR5007 would be a much better option but she insisted. We took the NR home, I swapped out the Onkyo, started playing music and she was immediately underwhelmed. The NR sounded anemic even compared to the Onkyo. The next day the NR went back, the SR5007 went into the system. This was a huge step up from the Onkyo and she was pleased.

Well that's good to know!  Thank you for sharing.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:20 am »

DANNY, I HAVE FOR SALE A NAD A/V RECEIVER I'M SELLING. I SENT YOU A P.M.

UPDATE: SOLD TO DANNY :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2023, 09:44 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

AllanS

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2023, 05:00 am »
The NAD hybrid integrateds also might be of interest.  Depending on model in the lineup there will be more or less standard I/O but the MDC modules allow you to add HDMI or the excellent BLUOS streamer or other functionality.
https://nadelectronics.com/products/all-amplifiers/
https://nadelectronics.com/products/mdc-modules/