Introduction

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
Re: Introduction
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:20 pm »
Hi all.
My latest results of my search is the following :
The best that meet my requirements is the integrated 2 channel amplifier it's the Yamaha
model A-S301 at 599$ CND + 15% tax. 60 wpc.
For the speakers it's a little more difficult to find what meets my criterias.
Up to now I saw and heard the following :
Sony SSCS3, Polk Monitor (Many models to choose from),
Klisch R620F and one that I haven't heard but look good (Made in Canada) is the Bryston Middle T.
Any opinions or suggestions to make my decision easier ?
Thanks.

Double A.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:53 pm »
Hi all.
My latest results of my search is the following :
The best that meet my requirements is the integrated 2 channel amplifier it's the Yamaha
model A-S301 at 599$ CND + 15% tax. 60 wpc.
For the speakers it's a little more difficult to find what meets my criterias.
Up to now I saw and heard the following :
Sony SSCS3, Polk Monitor (Many models to choose from),
Klisch R620F and one that I haven't heard but look good (Made in Canada) is the Bryston Middle T.
Any opinions or suggestions to make my decision easier ?
Thanks.

Double A.

AA - I have owned the Yamaha A-S301 for 7 years and it's a great unit.  It's not my primary for 2 channel stereo, but it makes music.  The previous Denon surround sound unit finally gave up the ghost after 18 years, so I just put the Yamaha into full time service for TV use - 2 channel with a cheap Dayton subwoofer I bought a long time ago.  I'm glad I did as it was just collecting dust in the office.  I'm finding that 2 channel with a sub is great for TV... I don't miss the center channel.  Fortunately, I don't have a rash about multichannel audio...

I've been playing a little game lately trying to find something I think is notably better than the Yamaha, for anywhere close to the same money.  So far I've come to the conclusion that I could use something different, but not necessarily better.  Besides, I've been a fan of Yamaha receivers since my first one back in college a long time ago. 

Good choice on the Yamaha.  :thumb:

I'll also share this, although I don't know availability for Canada.  I've had some recent luck with buying "Used / Like New" from Amazon.  I picked up a pair of Sony speakers for a song doing that.  They are customer returns to Amazon, and shipped back out from Amazon.  The Amazon return policy applies, so there's zero risk.  You could try looking for that Yamaha unit on Amazon and see if they have a "Used" unit.  See whether it's being shipped by Amazon - save some money / zero risk.  The Sony speakers I got were in factory packaging and had been opened, but they were in brand new condition.  I wish the same could be done with coffee.  I'm going thru 5 pounds of beans/month...  :green:

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2023, 09:42 am »
AA - I have owned the Yamaha A-S301 for 7 years and it's a great unit.  It's not my primary for 2 channel stereo, but it makes music.  The previous Denon surround sound unit finally gave up the ghost after 18 years, so I just put the Yamaha into full time service for TV use - 2 channel with a cheap Dayton subwoofer I bought a long time ago.  I'm glad I did as it was just collecting dust in the office.  I'm finding that 2 channel with a sub is great for TV... I don't miss the center channel.  Fortunately, I don't have a rash about multichannel audio...

I've been playing a little game lately trying to find something I think is notably better than the Yamaha, for anywhere close to the same money.  So far I've come to the conclusion that I could use something different, but not necessarily better.  Besides, I've been a fan of Yamaha receivers since my first one back in college a long time ago. 

Good choice on the Yamaha.  :thumb:

I'll also share this, although I don't know availability for Canada.  I've had some recent luck with buying "Used / Like New" from Amazon.  I picked up a pair of Sony speakers for a song doing that.  They are customer returns to Amazon, and shipped back out from Amazon.  The Amazon return policy applies, so there's zero risk.  You could try looking for that Yamaha unit on Amazon and see if they have a "Used" unit.  See whether it's being shipped by Amazon - save some money / zero risk.  The Sony speakers I got were in factory packaging and had been opened, but they were in brand new condition.  I wish the same could be done with coffee.  I'm going thru 5 pounds of beans/month...  :green:

Hi jmimac351,
thanks for sharing your experience with me (us).
I think I will go with the Yamaha A-S301, however, I've heard about Canuck Audiomart, so I will have a look on the audio specialized site. Used, it's o.k. but must be like new.
For the speakers I really wanted to by GR Research speakers, but cost of transport make the speaker almost like a luxury, at least from the USA to est Canada.
I will look at used on Canuck Audiomart, KIJIJI and Market Place.
The person who introduced me to Audio Circle (An ex AC member) offered me his speakers and receiver (He wants to up-grade his audio stuff) I will get more info and get opinions and advices from the members here.
Slowly, I will get (More or less) want I want and what will make me happy.

Double A

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2023, 04:19 pm »
What speakers and receiver does your friend have that he's offering you?  If they are good quality, that might be the way to go.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2023, 05:38 pm »
What speakers and receiver does your friend have that he's offering you?  If they are good quality, that might be the way to go.

Hi Tyson,
my friend's amplifier is a Yamaha RX-V385 receiver (I would prefer a simple two channel integrated amplifier) but at 100$ instead of 450 CND retail
and it's ony one year old it's very tempting.
The speakers are DIY from him with GR Research drivers (I think he mentionned M130 or something like that and drivers and electronics were purchased from GR Research) the price is 150 CND per pair and I had an audition and they sound good to me.
What do you think ? The prices are within my budget, should I say : It's a good bargain ?

Double A

Tyson

« Reply #45 on: 31 Oct 2023, 05:57 pm »
If they measure well, I'd probably just get the speakers from your friend.  Those are very good drivers.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #46 on: 31 Oct 2023, 08:19 pm »
If they measure well, I'd probably just get the speakers from your friend.  Those are very good drivers.

Hi (Again) Tyson.
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I will go with my friend speakers.
For the amplifier, I think I will stick to my idea of getting a Yamaha A-S301.
Will let all AC members (At least the ones that are interested) of my appreciation of my new strereo home cinema.

Thanks.

Double A

Tyson

« Reply #47 on: 31 Oct 2023, 08:49 pm »
Congrats on getting such nice speakers for such a good deal!

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #48 on: 23 Nov 2023, 07:05 pm »
Hi all.
I finally got all items for my home cinema.
The Yamaha receiver. RX-V385(400$)
The 48'' Samsung TV (Free)
The GR Research - Audio 13 speakers (100$)
All amounts are in Canadian Dollars.
The person from whom I bought the speakers (Ex AC member)
said that when he posted the pictures of his speakers a few member criticised
the way he modify the original layout of the drivers.
I was wondering what is the difference between his layout and the layout of the GR Reaserch Bully speakers.
Can someone explain which layout is better and why ?
To me, my newly acquired speakers sound good at low listening lever and very good at higher listening level.
Very satisfied with all my purchases.
I posted a few pictures, some taken by the seller.
That's it.

Double A

I can't upload pictures from my computer.
I will work on that and come back with pictures.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #49 on: 23 Nov 2023, 07:09 pm »

Finally got it. Must up-load one file at the time.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #50 on: 23 Nov 2023, 07:19 pm »

Hi all.

My wife has accumulated over the years about 100 audio cassettes (C60-90)
music she love.
But she was listening to her cassettes via a small Sony portable audio cassette player,
unfortunately it died a few years back and of course un-repairable.
I saw on e-bay this nice Nakamichi (I was told it's very reliable) the price is a little over budget
at 300 USD (Plus custom tax, sales tax and transport and exchange)
Unless someone here says it's a good deal and I should jump on it.
I know it's a cassette deck and I need an amplifier,
What I had in mind was plug it to my Yamaha receiver, it should give good sound
and my wife can also listen to her favorite music via he Apple earphones. (earbuds)
Any suggestion or alternatives.
Thanks in advance.

Double A

jmimac351

« Reply #51 on: 23 Nov 2023, 08:23 pm »
AA,

Unless your wife really wants to use those cassette tapes, I have another idea.  That receiver you have does Bluetooth.  You could sign up for a streaming service like Pandora and listen, Ad Free, for $5/mo.  300/5= 60months = 5 years.  Rather than just those cassettes, she could listen to any artist she wants.  You can download the app on a mobile phone and connect via Bluetooth to your Yamaha receiver.  If neither of you has a mobile phone, you can use the computer you're on right now.

I have found Pandora to be the best service for finding new music.  The algorithm Pandora uses is unique.  Take your favorite song / artist and create a "Station".  Then you Like / Dislike songs that it plays for you, and it learns more about what you like / dislike.  It becomes pretty spooky about the way it plays a song for you from an artist you've never heard of, and you like it.  "How does it know that?..."

It's a great way to find new music.  If Pandora streamed in Lossless, it would be the only service I use.  So, I use it to find new music / build playlists, then I export those playlists to a service that streams in higher quality.  Right now I've been sticking with Apple Music for lossless. I have a bunch of Apple products so that's been easy to do...

https://www.pandora.com

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #52 on: 23 Nov 2023, 09:56 pm »
AA,

Unless your wife really wants to use those cassette tapes, I have another idea.  That receiver you have does Bluetooth.  You could sign up for a streaming service like Pandora and listen, Ad Free, for $5/mo.  300/5= 60months = 5 years.  Rather than just those cassettes, she could listen to any artist she wants.  You can download the app on a mobile phone and connect via Bluetooth to your Yamaha receiver.  If neither of you has a mobile phone, you can use the computer you're on right now.

I have found Pandora to be the best service for finding new music.  The algorithm Pandora uses is unique.  Take your favorite song / artist and create a "Station".  Then you Like / Dislike songs that it plays for you, and it learns more about what you like / dislike.  It becomes pretty spooky about the way it plays a song for you from an artist you've never heard of, and you like it.  "How does it know that?..."

It's a great way to find new music.  If Pandora streamed in Lossless, it would be the only service I use.  So, I use it to find new music / build playlists, then I export those playlists to a service that streams in higher quality.  Right now I've been sticking with Apple Music for lossless. I have a bunch of Apple products so that's been easy to do...

https://www.pandora.com

Hi jmimac351,
thnaks for the suggestion.
My wife use a lot her cell phone (Apple 10 or something like that) and look like she's good at all the apps it offer's her.
I will share with her what you have suggested and see what she says.
Her and I have quite different music tastes.

Thanks again.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #53 on: 24 Nov 2023, 04:31 pm »
Hi all.
I wonder why I didn't get any comments on my topic '' Reply # 49 ''
I'm here to learn and share.

Thanks.

Double A

Early B.

« Reply #54 on: 24 Nov 2023, 04:53 pm »
I suggest shipping one of your speakers to Danny so he can tweak the crossover. It's likely that your speakers can sound better at a minimal cost. 

Tyson

« Reply #55 on: 24 Nov 2023, 05:07 pm »
Agreed!

jmimac351

« Reply #56 on: 24 Nov 2023, 05:39 pm »
Hi all.
I wonder why I didn't get any comments on my topic '' Reply # 49 ''
I'm here to learn and share.

Thanks.

Double A

AA,

The Bully speaker has a powered servo subwoofer built into the speaker... it's a full range speaker and will play much lower / bigger than the speakers you have.  The proposition is thousands of dollars, and isn't guaranteed to make the smile on your face bigger than it already is.  There's always something new / better / different out there... If you're enjoying the speakers you have, I'd just keep doing that.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #57 on: 24 Nov 2023, 07:59 pm »
I suggest shipping one of your speakers to Danny so he can tweak the crossover. It's likely that your speakers can sound better at a minimal cost.

Hi Early B.

The crossover was purchased from GR Reaserch (Danny) by the previous owner
and was never modifier, still original with original parts,
therefore I think it should be o.k.
By the way, I am not complaining about the performances of my new speakers,
only want to know about the arrangement of the mids and tweeter in comparaison to the Bully.
The previous owner told me that many members and even Danny complained about the position of the drivers,
only difference is that the tweeter is not exactly between the two mid drivers.
I am not concerned about the woofer, I don't need a woofer,
my speakers give me enough bass for my liking.
Hope this is clear enough ? ? ?

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #58 on: 24 Nov 2023, 08:06 pm »
AA,

The Bully speaker has a powered servo subwoofer built into the speaker... it's a full range speaker and will play much lower / bigger than the speakers you have.  The proposition is thousands of dollars, and isn't guaranteed to make the smile on your face bigger than it already is.  There's always something new / better / different out there... If you're enjoying the speakers you have, I'd just keep doing that.

Hi jmimac351,
I like very much my (Modified according to the previous owner) GR Research speakers.
I am just curious why the previous owner was criticized for a slightly different arrangement of the drivers.
GR Research (Danny) said (According to the previous owner) that Danny said it should have the same layout has the Bully,
I know the Bully is new, but at the time my speakers were called M3M or something like that ? ? ?
Anyway, maybe I should forget about the whole thing and keep enjoying my speakers.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #59 on: 24 Nov 2023, 08:09 pm »

Hi Early B.

Shipping one speaker to Danny would give me what ?
The crossovers are the original designed and supplied by Danny.
Plus I paid 100 CND for a pair, shipping both ways will cost more than the purchase price.

Double A